Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Walt Gibney is a new player.

• 09-10-1999 10:00pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

You may all think you know Walt Gibney from old, he's pretty good at quake and he's got a low ping , however you might be mistaken into thinking he someone he isnt.

Daaaa is gone. Perhaps Walt will be a better all round player.
    We have agreed one thing. Walt isnt going the way of Daaaa, or Walt will and I will not be the friends we are now.

There are issues around this that none of you understand fully except me walt mp and slosh.
    It should be proof enough that Slosh is extending the fruit of his bountiful servers to this new player, under the agreement that we all play on them: civility is paramount.
    This is despite his resolve to never let Daaa on the servers again, so something has changed at least.
    Mp has agreed to allow him back on to IRC.
    All of this will be reviewed once a fortnight by us.

Arguments happen, but there is no need to be foul mouthed.

If I find people trying to irritate him, the ops will deal with them as we dealt with daaa, whose main fault was irritating people.
    understand?

Everyone loosen sphincters, I'm the tight ass around these parts...

DeV.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

So i suppose we have to pretend Daaa isn't Walt then ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Old Ser

Dev, i didnt say you was lame, i said the way u didnt want mirage to play with DK was lame, there wasnt a rule about it, then when u find otu wehave another good player, he isnt alowwed.
    i knows its ur lan and stuff, but liek chaos said, it would be very boreing if it was the same ppl all the time:/

np's eh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭DEATH

Dev Can I Have Some Of Wot U Smoking? Ill pay like

sunglasses.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Nexus

whats this **** with daaa,i was playin with him earlier?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Devore you didn't work for the Nuclear PR office? Anyone remember windscale tongue.gif

Your starting to loose it. If an ISP cancelled your account they wouldn't go "sure open up another, we'll pretend it's someone else". *Sigh*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭Guinnessman

were not stupid dev we at least have a few brain cells left smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

FFS even if Daaa had a sex change I wouldn't let him back.

Dev I am still serious if Daa/Walt/whatever he call's himself goes to Dublan I won't (I know its your party and I'm sorry if I ****ing you off its just that I have standards that I stick to). Its a pity Slosh doesn't stick to his guns as well.

You said : "There are issues around this that none of you understand fully except me walt mp and slosh."

Well maybe you can credit us with some intelligence and tell what these issues are and maybe we could then understand.

Did you get sponsorship from a certain car dealer maybe ???

Gandalf.

www.gibworld.com/gandalf gandalf@gibworld.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 77 ✭✭pox

?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

This does surprise me indeed. Da-whoops-WaltGibn-whoops-mezz is still bloody Daaa. I mean there he was spouting off on the ca server this evening. Once a Daa always a bleedin Daa. I just hope he's not laughing at ye Dev.

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

I'd have to agree with Ben on this one.

?

Sod this.

Jaden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Slosh

TBH Folks, I was and maybe still am a bit dubious about this, but I'm willing to give him one last chance, maybe other ppl should do it too.

Gandie n Jadey, youve both got ops, if he mouths off kick him, thats what you have ops for smile.gif

HTTKB!!

Sloshers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Slosh how many last chances does this muppet get !!!!

I don't want to **** you or Dev off your doing a ****eload of work on Dublan and I know a lot of people appriciate it.

But I cannot understand how yourself and MP have changed your colours in such a short period of time. If there is a "reason" for this change of heart I think it should be posted here.

Gandalf.

www.gibworld.com/gandalf gandalf@gibworld.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

Well said Gandy, I can't believe Dev and co. want us to "pretend" that mezz or Walt Gibney isn't Daa. I might use the nick Daa so smile.gif

I think DeV and co. need to wake up on this subject, how many times have we gone tru this with Daaa ? And i don't give a **** what nick he uses, I will always call him Daa and he can cry about it all he wants.

Lets all go to DaaLan !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

Yes...

Very strange this SUDDEN change in polocy , almost a little too sudden. Very strange...

...My theroy is that the pod people in conjunction with a secret brach of a secret brach of the FBI under the supervision of the reverse vampires... have somehow REPLACED Devore , MindPhuck and Slosh with EVIL clones in some sort of diabolical plot to DESTROY Irish Quake.

We're through the lookingglass here people...

El_Pres

Or have they gotten to YOU TOO!!!

I have to concur, it would be nice to know why I have to fight my base instinct to punt him off any server I have admin on. How and ever, if the you feel the reason should not be forthcoming, then so be it. I trust you would have sufficent reason not to tell us why Daa has miraculously been reprived.

One can only assume that there is either a push or a pull factor at work here. Either someone is dangling a carrot in front of you, possibly in the form of sponsorship (it would have to be a car dealership methinks), or someone is beating you from behind with a big stick. Either of these options do not bode well as policies adopted by the Quake community.

If it is sponsorship, then it means that he has been "bought" back into online gaming, and every sentiment ever expressed about the upholding of standards is immediately invalidated.

If it's someone who's beating you with a stick, then I would certainly wonder just how important this mystery person could be, that they can bully certain strong-minded individuals into accepting a repeat offender into our little community.

This is not good.

I can't see either of these possibilites being correct, but I fail to see any other reason for this somewhat dramatic turnaround.

On the subject of ops discretion, I consider Daa doing any of the following as a kickable offence.

* Joining a server.

{end of list.}

Should I be asked to change this point of view, so that it is a more moderate approach, then I will. Until then, my best kicin' boots are on, and I can type 'kick' faster than Gandy can. In fact, I may even bind a key to it, and paint it red.

"There are issues around this that none of you understand fully except me walt mp and slosh."

Anyone else feel a tad insulted here?

Suddenly DubLAN doesn't seem like so much fun.

Hail To something or other, I forget anyway.

Jaden.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

If you think I can be bought, I'm insulted.

If you think someone could threaten me sufficently to make me alter my mind and lie about it, you dont know me *at all*.

I'd rip it all down before either of those things occured.

The reason I said "There are issues around this that none of you understand fully except me walt mp and slosh." was that they were the only four people who knew the full story.

There is a lot going on and its *hard* to explain it without writing multiple essays and *time* is something I dont have much of these days. When things settle I'll explain all, please bear with us.

One of the changes is that Walt is not allowed us the nick Daaaa, Daa, Davey or any derivative. Ever again.
    WE chose Walt Gibney for him, and allowed him to shorten it to Walt.

Walt is going to write (real world) letters
    of apology to certain people and also a contract with the general quake community.
    I'm typing those up and he's going to write them out and sign them.

Jaden, you did say one correct thing in your own muddled way...

Dear Walt,

Welcome back. I will endevour to promote good will toward you on the servers, and, in return, you will behave like everyone else.

Insert happy thoughts here.

However, open that trap of yours ONCE, and I'll come down on you like knickers on a southside bird. I will make it my PURPOSE to keep you off every server I can get admin to. I will stop at NOTHING to have any account you have revoked, and I will PERSONALLY make it my buisness to sit beside you at DubLAN, (should you attend).

Your call.

I too sign this and this is the understanding he's being allowed back.
    If he's kicked from the servers between here and DubLAN he'll be banned from it too.
    you dont have to give him any special considerations, treat him like you would anyone else.

We're reviewing the situation every fortnight, and one provable incident and he's gone, forever, for good. It has to be provable because there are too many people with knives out for him who will fake it.

I'm not going to have my arm twisted by anyone about this and if people really really feel they cant be in the same enormous hall as a 15 yo then I dunno what to do. It puts me in a very difficult situation.

I know one thing tho, if you arent open to people changing, then people will never change in your eyes....

What were you like when you were 14?
    I'm just certain you were all angels....

DeV.

k, sounds reasonable. And we can quote this on the next last chance smile.gif

Muddled? Me?

Ah cmon. I think that I bring my point across quite well actually.

Just for that, I'm going to muddle you all over that CA server, with Slosh riding shotgun. Team up with whom you want, it won't save you. Gandy would be a good bet, but he may take a little more convincing to go then I did. I'd hate to lose someone of his calibur (and general girth) over such a thing. It wouldn't be right.

I am weak, sorry. I have principles, but the prospect of sub 20 ping all day Quake, WITH beer is too much. I have fallen to the dark side.

Hail To The King, Baby.

[DD]Jaden.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'm not asking anyone to give up their principles. If Walt acts like Daa then he's gone. End of Story. So you aren't being asked to rub shoulders with Daaa.
    We got it through to him finally.
    He's on indefinite probation and he's acting alright. Its not a get out of jail free card, its an opportunity.... or enough rope to hang himself... this sword cuts both ways.

DeV.

Jaden my man, I'll do my best to cover you okay.... but did it really take a lot of convincing ?? wink.gif

The head of Mr Vore is mine tho okay ??

HTTKB!!

[DD]Slosh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I go along with this... I'm dubious, but I trust Dev to do the best thing for the community, and I also know that he doesn't suffer fools lightly.

If young master Hehir behaves himself on this probation, well and good. If he doesn't, I hope it will be the final word... "enough rope to hang himself", Dev said, and this should be a final hanging.

Like I said, I'm dubious, but if you have managed to genuinely reform the lad, applause is in order.

Ja,
    Rob

His hea on a platter is yours for the taking Brian.

BUT HIS ASS IS MINE!!!

Hail To The King, Baby.

[DD]Jaden.

Mr Gibney's new IRC sign off:

*** dk-Mezz has quit IRC (<a|ex> daa: u forgot i'm gay | | "<Cobra> I WILL ****ING KILL YA, YA WEE DECK MONGOL")

Obviously desiring to show off how much he can irritate people.

Hail To The King, Baby.

Jaden.

Folks,

This is no conspiracy, its simply giving a guy a chance, albeit one of many. Whether he's reformed or not is another story.

Theres no external factors at work here... no sponsorship, no carrots, no scantily clad women (unless MP is holding out on me..)

All we ask for now is that ppl give us the benefit of the doubt, as its our necks that are extended.. show a lil tolerance, and we'll see what happens...

By all accounts if he pi$ses you off on the server kick him, as his situation is going to reviewed every couple of weeks let us know....

Oh and Dublan is gonna be soooo much fun Jadey and you know it!! smile.gif

HTTKB!

S.

Fine then. I personally will give you the benefit of the doubt. But I'm not sold on this by a long shot.....

I never could stay pi$$ed at you Brain, you great big lovable hunk of scalp showing manliness. smile.gif

However, I feel I must state my standard disclaimer:

Dear Daaa,

Welcome back. I will endevour to promote good will toward you on the servers, and, in return, you will behave like everyone else.

Insert happy thoughts here.

However, open that trap of yours ONCE, and I'll come down on you like knickers on a southside bird. I will make it my PURPOSE to keep you off every server I can get admin to. I will stop at NOTHING to have any account you have revoked, and I will PERSONALLY make it my buisness to sit beside you at DubLAN, (should you attend).

Your call.

End of disclaimer.

Hail To The King, Baby.

Jaden.

PS, Slosh - wanna go in for some 2 v 2 CA rapage? smile.gif That WOULD be fun.

Rather then dwelling on giving him a second chance, lets us instead list out in detail the amount of grief he has given the community for so long. Let us also list the number of chances he has been giving.

I don't play quake, but I can comment on his IRC habits and I'm very surprised as most ISP's would cancel your account for the sh1t he's pulled there.

In fact I may still have the mail from IOL when I reported him for sending threatening emails. the email said "this person is a known trouble maker, and we are currently compiling a list. Please direct all logs to ..."

This was some months back, so whatever they did to buy you off, obviously worked for them too.

Tell us exactly how that is allowed to be thrown aside. There have been people been banned for a lot less then what Daa has done.

I would really love to know what level of p1ssing people off is allowed, so I can set up a second nick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

isnt the whole point in this thread to let it rest?
    stop draggin up **** over and over again.
    i for one welcome our new ant rulers,
    oh wait davey even.

Advertisement