Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S-Video vs VCDs

• 12-11-2003 3:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

i'm pretty tired of burning VCDs(converting them from DivXs first), it take a long time to convert and stuff, and the quality is not perfect, my laptop has an S-Video port, so i though maybe to buy a good quality S-video cable and hook it up to the TV, i'd get a better quality movies? what ya think? is the quality good? can i just run Divx movie in Media player and watch it on TV? and will it be stretched or will it fit the screen?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Svideo is picture only, you will need audio leads as well .... other than that I had reasonable success with an old Dell CPX laptop, running videos fullscreen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

yeah that's about it really. You can get a headphone jack to composite audio for the and s-vid cable for the video. If you have S-vid and comp connections on your tv just plug em in - otherwise get a scart block for them. Picture quality will be better than converting.
    Or like me you could get a divx compatible dvd player Liteon LVD-2001. It supports everything, Divx3.11 is a bit jumpy, but divx 4 or later and xvid are perfect. Hopefully next firmware should fix divx3.11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Originally posted by BigEejit
    Svideo is picture only, you will need audio leads as well .... other than that I had reasonable success with an old Dell CPX laptop, running videos fullscreen.
    I have a CPxJ and I'm having trouble getting a clean signal through S-Video on it. not sure if its the cable or the laptop though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Thanks guys

so 1 - S-Video Cable
    1 - 1-2 Audio Cable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Originally posted by vibe666
    I have a CPxJ and I'm having trouble getting a clean signal through S-Video on it. not sure if its the cable or the laptop though.

Make sure yer using I-PAL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Today went to Maplin bought Audio cable for 5 euros

went to peats bought Svideo cable for 5 or something like that

plugged it in, works FINE! much better quality than DivX converted to VCD and burned, and saves CDs and time too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Originally posted by Dempsey
    Make sure yer using I-PAL.
    yeah, already found the settings and tried a few different ones including I-PAL with no luck.

think it might just be a dodgy cable. will try peats and see what happens. maybe take the laptop in with me before i fork out the cash on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Originally posted by davidwwalsh
    yeah that's about it really. You can get a headphone jack to composite audio for the and s-vid cable for the video. If you have S-vid and comp connections on your tv just plug em in - otherwise get a scart block for them. Picture quality will be better than converting.
    Or like me you could get a divx compatible dvd player Liteon LVD-2001. It supports everything, Divx3.11 is a bit jumpy, but divx 4 or later and xvid are perfect. Hopefully next firmware should fix divx3.11.

so r u saying that if u just put the file on a cd(or does it have to be a dvd-r?) that it will play it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Depends on the spec of the Player. I would hope that they play CD's and all formats of DVD's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

"so r u saying that if u just put the file on a cd(or does it have to be a dvd-r?) that it will play it?"

yeah - i just copy a divx or xvid file on to a cd and my dvd player plays it. that's it essentially. I think it handles cd-r, rw, dvd-r, +r, etc etc - everything (maybe not dvd-ram though).
    Bought it at a computer fair in london.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

that sounds pretty cool, so u don't even need to convert it to a vcd or nothing. How much was it and do u know where they r available here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

go for a kiss machine if your budget can stretch to it...
    i'm sure the lite-on model is fine, i've just never trusted brands with crappy names like that:rolleyes:

Advertisement