Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody else going to Michael Moore this Saturday

Options
  • 12-11-2003 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Anybody going to see him this Saturday?

I hear tickets have sold out already..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

Yep, looking forward to it. Not impressed by Ticketmaster's 25% fee on an €8 ticket though.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭²°°³webkev²°°³

I can't believe that either..
    it's only 10% in england..

You can petition ticketmaster on this site: http://www.ticeidi.com/

but without proper competition , i don't think they are ever going to do anything :mad:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Originally posted by anthonymcg
    Yep, looking forward to it. Not impressed by Ticketmaster's 25% fee on an €8 ticket though.

totally agree, complete extortion
    am still going though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

I'm not going... Why? "Chomsky for children", with cut and spliced opinions, tabloid-style writing while all the time ignoring or forgetting whatever proves him wrong. Bowling for Columbine was the best example of this.

His opinions on Northern Ireland show him up for what he really is.

Originally posted by ReefBreak
    I'm not going... Why? "Chomsky for children", with cut and spliced opinions, tabloid-style writing while all the time ignoring or forgetting whatever proves him wrong. Bowling for Columbine was the best example of this.

His opinions on Northern Ireland show him up for what he really is.

Dude, the guy is a legend..
    he is not like chomsky .. because chomsky only reaches thousands
    ..Michael moore reaches Millions

Many of the people he reaches would not otherwise have anything to do with issues such as election fraud or gun control

and you must admit that it feels good to have a book showing Bush being brough down in the top seller list

and what do you mean his opinions on northern Ireland..if you are talking about that bit in the book where he suggests that they hose down the protestants with holy water

..that is only satire man! no offense meant at all..
    I have a guy in work who lives in Newry and he said that is his favourite part of the book..

That would be like me reading Jonathon Swift and saying, hey this guys lying, The British never said the Irish should eat their young!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

All the facts in the film are true.

All the websites are the same NRA spammers repeating old information that has long been discredited.

http://www.wackoattacko.com
    http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2003/8/12/171427/607
    http://www.bigsugar.wrestling-fan.com/truthaboutbowling.html

you can watch the video evidence of mike buying the gun on his website, and see the police reports that show the kids were bowling.

All irrelevant to the basic premise of the film, but its worthwhile pointing out that these scenes were not staged and it all happened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Éomer of Rohan

Quoted from ReefBreak
    His opinions on Northern Ireland show him up for what he really is

It's called satire - and hell, making light of a situation in which politicians divide a society from the top down by taking themselves so seriously isn't half bad - I suppose it would be easier if he were actually northern irish and saying it though.

As for him being Chomsky for children, knowing your political views, I very much doubt you care about his relation to Chomsky or even like Chomsky's work and it's rather a prejudice showing through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

Got my ticket & looking forward to it.

He's no Chomsky to be sure - he's funnier :-) and that's the point - everyone loves a joker and this joker stirs some good sh!t

And €4 charges on €16 euro is criminal - when competition comes, I'll sure will stop using ticket master.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

Wheres he going to be?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭Redleslie

Michael Moore bores the hole off me. I much prefer Chris Morris.

If Morris prides himself on anything I would guess it is that he comes to things with no agenda other than to collapse pomposity, and to make people laugh. He therefore loathes the more politicised, bandwagon-jumping pranks of Moore. 'His tone is That's Life,' he says. 'I made up a corrupt English businessman with a totally ludicrous name who had sacked all his staff and then methodically patrolled local schools, carrying a big banner that read "I sacked your Dad because he's totally ****ing useless". And Moore is such a knee-jerk that he's saying, [he adopts a perfect Moore whine] ' "You know what, we've gotta get this guy. Why doesn't anyone do this in Britain?" And I said, well there is a guy called Mark Thomas who also goes around and bullies receptionists. And Moore goes, "NOT THOMAS. You need a guy who really kicks ass." '
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,3848271,00.html

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I've also seen pro Michael Moore writings in the Guardian.

I'm unsure about his methods, but agree with the ideas/reasons behind them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I wonder if they'll be any hecklers! ;)

Mike.

they'd want to be brave

what did people think?
    I taught he was very funny at the start.. talking about the differences between our sports and american sports. how at british soccer matches they all sang in harmony like it was the opera. Everyone was in stiches with laughter.

He then read from his book a chapter which evoked a lot of reaction from the crowd. It was a chapter in which he pretended to be God. Maybe someone should have reminded him that this was Ireland, because it made some of the more religious people (even myself) feel that they were being preached to. When he got to the bit about God saying a baby is a baby, and a fetus is a fetus, some people started shouting. I couldn't help but thinking that might have been a bit of a grey area that perhaps would have been best left seperate. Even though I am pro choice i still have mixed feelings about the controversial subject.

He then named out the different presidential candiadates, and told us about the most probable candiates. He said it either came down to Howard Dean or General Clark, and although he is not endorsing anyone he would love to see the debate between the "4 star general and the deserter".

He took some questions from the audience and stayed around to sign books. It looked like there was well over 1 or 2 thosand there so I didn't hang around. He had already signed my copies of Roger and Me and SWM.

In all i'd say he was funny, but should not become a preacher. When he started quoting facts like the National Geographic claim 11% of Americans in a poll couldn't find USA on a world map it would be nice to have some evidence on a projection screen or something.

although I found out today for myself that its true :cry:
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2002/11/1120_021120_GeoRoperSurvey.html

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
    4.jpg
    5.jpg
    6.jpg
    7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I met him today in work. Nice Guy

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by ²°°³webkev²°°³
    In all i'd say he was funny, but should not become a preacher.

:confused:

What he does is preaching/proclaiming, looks as if you're just calling it such when you don't like what he has to say.

A little off topic... I'm not quite sure if you're trying to say he is pro life or not, if he is pro life - it is logically seen as the higher moral stand point, and for you to say some one should have pointed out he was in Ireland for him not to express his views is a lower moral stand point.

If I have offended you - sorry, as I am sure is the same with Mr Moore, I’m merely pointing out my view.

Originally posted by monument
    :confused:

What he does is preaching/proclaiming, looks as if you're just calling it such when you don't like what he has to say.

A little off topic... I'm not quite sure if you're trying to say he is pro life or not, if he is pro life - it is logically seen as the higher moral stand point, and for you to say some one should have pointed out he was in Ireland for him not to express his views is a lower moral stand point.

If I have offended you - sorry, as I am sure is the same with Mr Moore, I’m merely pointing out my view.

I'm just saying that might be better left seprate for the moment..
    and he should stick to the main mission - ie, bush removal and other chores

he is pro choice - like me

Michael Moore is a comedian - if people have problems with his shows, given that most people there have read his books and know what to expect, they should stay away.

Originally posted by Éomer of Rohan
    Michael Moore is a comedian - if people have problems with his shows, given that most people there have read his books and know what to expect, they should stay away.

not true.. most people would have gone because they were fans of bowling for columbine and SWM, and he doesn't brush upon the subject at all in them

They dont know hes going to be taking about abortion..

im not sure what the figures are.. but I assume there is a large divide on the issue..

am i wrong to believe that might be better kept for another day?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Why keep them for another day? He speaks his mind. It's an attribute I admire.

"Even though I am pro choice i still have mixed feelings about the controversial subject."

Just like someone who likes W (there are some out there) might be a little upset by him going on about the Bush's. If you don't like what he says (or if the potential is there for you to be upset), don't read the book/see the film/see the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Huh.

The NRA. Talk about a bunch of wackos, who should be shot for sedition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭ZeFrog

he was funny and genuine.

I liked the show.

And he signed my book !! :)

I am dying to see his new documentary comping up next year.

I don t think he was expecting questions about abortion ... He s here to promote the book and talk about Bush

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

I'd have thought his answer to the NI question would have been more controversial had he brought that up. And if you're telling me he's not a comedian when he comes off with stuff like THAT I'd be worried.

As for typedef's comments about the NRA - though they are probably all right wing xenophobes, there's nothing wrong with having weapons to protect your nearest and dearest.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Originally posted by ²°°³webkev²°°³
    am i wrong to believe that might be better kept for another day?

I am of the opinion he can speak as he wishes, he is not a politician, he is a writer with opinions, we went to hear them.
    I found the heckler to be an asshole, why go to see someone just to give them a hard time – if he were going into politics, then fair enough, give him a hard time on his views – but to go heckle someone promoting his book, well, that’s just sad. Stay at home if he offends you

:p he was a guest voice on the simpsons last nite..
    true measure of fame..

althought they did make fun of him, it just shows that he has a great sense of humour,

mm.gif

Advertisement