Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wet Shaving

• 12-11-2003 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭

And no im not on about my nether regions....

I tend to use an electric shaver, but the results are not great. What would people recommend ? Gillette Mach3 ? Wilkonson Quottro ? And shaving cream, are the same brand ones the best ?

I want those blondes to be caressing my well defined chin dammit !

:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

you can't beat mach3 ...

and the great thing is if you care for the bad boys they'll last longer than you think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Atreides

I use a Gillette Mach3 but Gillete shaving foam irrates my skin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Mach 3.

They wear out very quickly if you wait until the hair is 5-6mm long before shaving (ie if you're a lazy bastard) like me. But if you shave every second day, you'll get at least twice as many shaves out of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭-Wheeler-

Used to use a Mach 3 and still do if a really close shave is required - but other than that you just can't beat the hassle-free 20 second electric shave job :D (PhiliShave)

Wheeler_1028.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

mach 3 turbo:)

best damn shave i've ever had
    i vaugely remember seeing a "best shave evor or yore moneh back" promotion somewhere, well worth trying out in that case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭oneweb

Mach 3. It's just... wow! :) Seriously. Pretty dear for replacement blades tho :(

It is what it's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Mach 3 Turbo better than Mach 3, just buy the blades, they'll fit to your mach 3 handle thingy

I've found that the nivea range of shaving foams and stuff are better than gillette stuff, they've some good 'sensitve' stuff if you are prone to red pimplyness on your neck after shaving

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

gotta be the mach 3 turbo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I also use the Mach 3 Turbo and find them excellent. But they are expensive and I find I only get two shaves out of a blade. And I shave every day.

I used to use Gillette Blue 2 disposable razors. Found them very good. Got 1 shave per razor. Many people seem to have a hatred of disposables for some reason. Maybe it's because they have had bad experiences with those god awful Bic disposables. The Gillette disposables are way better than those nasty horrible things.

BrianD3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by BrianD3
    I also use the Mach 3 Turbo and find them excellent. But they are expensive and I find I only get two shaves out of a blade. And I shave every day.
    wtf?
    are you shaving every square inch of your body?

mine last me about a month, shaving on every 2nd day...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭j0e9o

its costs me £4.99 for 3 mach 3 blades so now i just use the disosiables

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭neonitrix

Get a lynx razor with 3 blades throw away the blades and go to get a pack of 20 razor blades in Aldi - they will fix the lynx handle and are as good as mach 3 blades. and the pack of 20 refills cost about 3.60 Euros.

Neonitrix

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

I think kegser had a topic about shaving here a while back...

This is what I find works great for an easy and close shave...

1. A shower first (to open the pores)
    2.At the end of the shower, i use some Nivea double action face wash and I don't rinse this off (it's just like shaving gel). Leave this do its thing for a min while you towel dry the rest of your self.
    3. Some nivea shaving foam now as usual (on top of the face-wash gel) and have the mach3 good and hot in wash basin...
    4. For the close shave, go first with the grain and then follow up with a rub against the grain...
    5. Use some after shave balm for that babies arse effect...
    6. (use some after shave now and squeal like a little girl from the pain...)

This works great for me whether i shave twice a week (the usual) or every day...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭dazberry

I still use Gillette sensor and total shaving solution, and finally Vaseline Intensive Care Body Lotion when done (on my face ppl).

For my b1tch skin :( what works for me is...

[1] Total shav sol first is good because it makes me prepare a bit more first, and its clear so I can see what I'm doing, doesn't gunk the razor and its oily so it helps the blade slide better.

[2] I don't try and shave everything off in one go, I let the blade slide over and let it do the work - of course there are always a few stubborn bits tho' that need special attention, and I'm not beyond removing half a cheek in a moment of distraction.

[3] I try and keep the blade unclogged by only doing maybe 2 - 5 slides (depends how bad it is) before cleaning it out.

[4] I never touch the blades when cleaning it out, if they get a bit clogged I tap (sometimes it takes a bit of tapping) the sides against the side of my shaving bowl. Generally the horizontal tapping does a good job in shifting all the clog out of the razor.

[5] Patience.

If I follow my 5 rules :D I can get a blade to last about a month (2-3 shaves per week - depends how lazy I am (should really shave every day). If I don't I get 2 shaves per blade.

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

Try "King of Shaves" Shaving Gel. I got it in Boots for about €6.50. I was using Nivea Shaving Gel, but as I have to shave every day My skin was in bits.

I think someone here recomended here and so I tried it. Its fairly good stuff. Skin is nice and clear now. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

That could have been me.

Mach 3 Turbo, King of Shaves Gel, and for gods sake use an after shave balm/moisturiser, again King of Shaves or Nivea Sensitive.

mmm, peachy.

Now, where are those blondes?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭The_Goose

1 mach blades are the only way ta go

2 boiling water and make sure the razor steeps in ti til its the same tempeture

3 first down to get most of it then up for that baby ares effect

4 then shower the water from the shower wil re moisterise you skin, and get rid of does feckin little cuts shown

5 then after shave nivea s good if your shaving every day
    or wat ever smell s nice!

now your suckin diesel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Beëlzebooze

I always thought I was being a real cheap sod, using the mach 3 blades several times, I realy thought you where supposed to use them only the once. I must say that I cannot get more than say 3-4 shaves out of them, (my stubble is like bloody steel wire). But I'm happy that I'm not the only scrooge out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

Ok I am about to put myself up to ridicule but I have discovered the secret of getting a perfect shave every time using the cheapest of disposable razors and common or garden soap.

The trick pure and simple is to shave under the shower. Try it. It works. Perfectly. Every time.

You may ask what I use for a mirror - I don't. I shave by sense of touch. I am badly short sighted and many years ago I realised that the combination of steamy mirror and steamy glasses made the whole business of trying to look in a mirror while shaving pointless. Its very easy to shave without looking - using your hand to guide the razor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

can't say I agree with the hot water thing. I always used to use hot water (against the advise of my elders I might add) and always got rezor burn, no matter what else I did.

since (think I got the idea from platoon, or good morning vietnam (it's in there somewhere anyway)) of using cold water from a strong running tap.

Shower
    King of Shaves Kinetic (Oil or Gel, or both) on for a few minutes to let it work its way in.
    Mach 3 Turbo (get 3-5 shaves out of a blade, dep. on hair length)
    King of Shaves aftershave balm.

make sure you use a clean towel to dry your face with too, otherwise you'll be rubbing bacteria into freshly shaved skin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

You can't beat a proper hot towel shave by a good barber. You'll be extremely clean-shaven and it's relaxing.

Especially good if you shave your head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Beëlzebooze

I've been meaning to have a hot towel shave for yonks now, just as a treat. I might go this saturday morning when I'm in town.

I've never had one before, and it sounds like an enjoyable experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

I've definitely found an improvement between the Mach3 and the Mach 3 Turbo (Turbo is much better). Not sure about the cold water thing - I tend to shave immediately after a shower and with really hot water. The best shaving cream I've found is the Nivea one in the white canister. Then use the Nivea after-shave balm, and if you're really sensitive try some odour-free moisturiser. Then a splash of aftershave if you're out to impress someone.

I certainly wouldn't go back to using an electric razor - the last time I got a decent shave off one of those I must've been 15!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

It's gotta be a mach3. Electric shavers suck. I use gilette shaving gel, that's like silk. i was all out of mach3's this mornin so i had to use a disposable, my god, i must have cut myself about 50 times. Yuck! G'Wan the mach3!@#

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Clinique Shaving Foman and a Gilette Sensor Razor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

OK I use a mach 3 ordinary and the blades that come with it - and I could get maybe 5 days at most out of shaving from it if I shave relatively every day (only to be done if each day has something or someone special in it :D).

Firstly shower is good but not going to be as good as a hot towel. This eases the movement and lets the hairs come off easier as there's less resistsance when that hot and when the blade is nice and hot. Personally I do the handy thing of just getting the shower head and quickly wetting my face at as hot of a temperature I can manage without getting burns (helps as well because you can cut yourself and feel no pain as your face is so numb).

Soap up well and don't go over a place twice unless you reapply shaving foam/gel. I use sensative because I find it works better and gives a closer shave.

I work against the grain mostly but then that's just me and if it's only a day or two old. If it's slightly longer than about 3 days growth then you have to go with the grain first to get rid of the actual hair.

Finish with an aftershave cream - moisterising cream version of yer favourite aftershave. Ordinary aftershave will give instant results but won't last long. Moisturising aftershave cream lasts for normally 2 days at most even with people who grow hair quickly. It also means that it's soft and moist to the touch and very kissable - trust me even if you don't get a lot of girls out of it, you'll get a lot of girls kissing you all over your face!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

Originally posted by ][cEMAN**I work against the grain mostly but then that's just me and if it's only a day or two old. If it's slightly longer than about 3 days growth then you have to go with the grain first to get rid of the actual hair.
    thats well good advice man. its what i do. if i go against the grain from the start i end up tearing lumps out of my face and that aint good!

good idea is to use an aftershave balsm too. this stuff is basically a light moisturiser but i dont think us lads are gonna want to call it that.... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Is it not, hot water before hand, cold water afterwards? Something to do with opening and closing the pores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

Originally posted by uberwolf

Is it not, hot water before hand, cold water afterwards? Something to do with opening and closing the pores.
    thats exactly it man....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭bugler

I'm afraid I have to speak out against the Mach 3 range, and I wonder exactly how many of those heartily endorsing them have irritable skin. Some people, like those bums in the adverts, could shave with a rusty sickle and still have no trouble.

The Sensor Excel is the best razor I've used. People these days are easily led by marketing, who now have us believing that the blades a razor has the better. The Mach 3 is a prime example, and the Wilkinson Sword 'Quattro' stoops lower still. Why the hell would you want to drag 4 blades over your face? Why not make it 8, a giant leap forward! The Sensor has only two, and thats all I need, and I have a fairly heavy beard. Its head also doesn't slalom much (AKA wobble in a random manner) so it doesn't screw up when you're going over a dodgy patch.

I use the King of Shaves antibacterial gel, lasts a good while, low foam too so you can see what you're up to. Does dry the skin out a bit though.

A few of my suggestions on shaving basics:

-Always use warm (not boiling) water during your shave. Rinsing with cold is alright.

-Never shave against the grain. Despite what Gillette tell you, this is a bad idea.

And does anyone use a cutt-throat razor? When I'm not poor I will invest in one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

im with bugler on this one i used to use mach3 but nearly everytime i went to shave my chin the razor would get caught in the stumble and i would have to force it through it (not v.nice) and im not some hairy guy that grows stumble back 2 minutes after shaving, id have less facial hair than most guys.

I use sensor excel aswell best razor ive come across so far. I soke my face in a sink of hot water for about a minute or however long i can hold my breath then when im shaving i rinse the razor with cold water. I use some gilette shaving foam havent tried anything else so i cant comment on that and after i shave i slap loads of that E-45 stuff on my face. I shave before i go to bed because like other people i look more pimply or whatever after shaving. By shaving the night before tho my skin is fine when i wake up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

I either use disposables or senor excel. I think Mach 3s are fine but I don't care about all those blades.

I am a complete fan of the "Total Shaving Solution" which is available in shops and chemists.

I don't really cut myself anymore.

The part of my face that I find hardest to shave is just below my nose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭BrianD3

-Never shave against the grain. Despite what Gillette tell you, this is a bad idea.

That won't work for guys with heavy growth and/or dark hair. You just can't get as close a shave if you only go with the grain. If I were to go with the grain only, I'd have a "5 o clock shadow" at about 11 o clock in the morning :)

BrianD3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭SEAMUSD

mach 3 for me mate but the wife uses uses it aswell to shave her nether regions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

I'm a real man. I'll only use soap and a kitchen knife.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

<Important question>

people say dont Shave against the grain because it ****s up growth of the hairs, well i have an electric shaver, and when your shAving with an electric shaver you dont actually go in one direction, you usually go in a circular movement or whatever, ISNT this the same as shaving against the grain ?

Originally posted by Caesar_Bojangle
    I'm a real man. I'll only use soap and a kitchen knife.

Nancy Boy.

Real men use spit and sandpaper.

By the way did anyone see the piece in Saturday's Irish times about the legal battle between Gillette and Wilkinson Sword over the patents for the four blade razor. Of coure I forgot to keep the paper and I cannot remember who wrote the piece but it was very good stuff- quote: " The four blade razor is the result of years of scientific research which proves that we (the public) will believe anything we are told".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

I got the quattro at the weekend out of curiousity mostly and also cos I forgot my mach3.

I tend to shave twice, three times a week, I prefer mostly the nivea blue gel and I'm sick of the way the mach blades dull soo fast (and I don't have anything remotely like decent growth goin on)

Anyway. I have to say I liked the quattro. didn't feel as much like it was cutting as the mach 3, but it was doing a nicer job.

My face felt better afterwards (never been one for using post shave products, splash of water and then towel for me)

this in no way amounts to a serious test, but I intend to stick with it till the two included blades run out at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭SEAMUSD

the bit that was said about ripping your face is true , but saying that i still think the MACH 3 is the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Originally posted by bugler
    I'm afraid I have to speak out against the Mach 3 range, and I wonder exactly how many of those heartily endorsing them have irritable skin.

Actually I support the Mach 3 range, and my skin is very sensetive. Infact both my skin and I watch sensetive, and emotional films all the time. My skin also cries on a regular basis - mostly when it sees a sunset or a little baby.

Originally posted by bugler
    Some people, like those bums in the adverts, could shave with a rusty sickle and still have no trouble.

Ah - old faithful :D How I miss her....
    Actually once of my ex's once bought me a shaving kit olden style. The horse hair brush, with the stand, and the razor handle with the blade that slides onto the handle left/right. The only problem was it didn't stay in place. I used it once and it nearly slit my throat. I went straight back to disposable razors until I came across the love of my life - the Mach 3.

/sing -- "Gillette.....the best a man can get for under a tenner...."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Originally posted by ][cEMAN**
    /sing -- "Gillette.....the best a man can get for under a tenner...."
    The introductory pack may be under a tenner ... pack of 6 blades is more ... (was last time I looked in Dunnes anyway)

I like to get a close shave and have found the Mach 3 to be ok, but too damn expensive, I may be trying what was mentioned before ....Get a Lynx and buy replacement blades from Aldi .... gotta be worth a shot ...

By the way ... didnt I hear before that someone (or group) were taking Gilette to court for charging much more for Mach 3 in some european countries compared to some others .... depending on their market share in those countries .... whatever happened to that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Find true happiness. Grow a beard!.

Why is there not a 'Smilie' with a beard ?..

P.:ninja:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I wont hear a word against the Mach 3! Easily the greatest razor ever made. To compare it, I bought a Wilkinson Sword Protector shortly before my first Mach 3. I broke the "alpha diamond coating" on my face after 3 weeks. F*ck that.

First time I used a Mach 3, my hand nearly slipped on my face - it was that close a shave. No irritation, no nothing. If you're not satisfied, Gillette will surely give you a face transplant!

Originally posted by Mad Mike
    Ok I am about to put myself up to ridicule but I have discovered the secret of getting a perfect shave every time using the cheapest of disposable razors and common or garden soap.

The trick pure and simple is to shave under the shower. Try it. It works. Perfectly. Every time.

You may ask what I use for a mirror - I don't. I shave by sense of touch. I am badly short sighted and many years ago I realised that the combination of steamy mirror and steamy glasses made the whole business of trying to look in a mirror while shaving pointless. Its very easy to shave without looking - using your hand to guide the razor.

Would somebody else please try this.

Please.

I guarantee it will give you the closest shave you have ever had with no razor burn and no cuts. I have no sons (only daughters) and its really bugging me that I discovered the secret of the perfect shave and I have nobody to pass it on to.

are you crazy ?
    firstly, youd cut yourself, secondly, youd shave to far . 3rdly THE shaving foam will just wash off SINCE YOUR under running water.

Oh ye of little fate.

I guess Copernicus must have felt a little likt this when he pronounced that the world was round.

WIth regard to your specific objections:

1. Amazingly you don't need a mirror to shave - just use your hand to guide the razor - You very quickly become adept at using sense of touch - how do you think blind people manage?

2. No you don't shave too far - as I said before its very easy to shave by sense of touch.

3. You don't actually stick your head under the running water while shaving. Here is the routine - Wash face thrououghly under shower and rinse. Then lather up - you don't even need the usual inch thick layer of foam - just normal soapy bubbles will do. Then keep your head slightly out of the running water and shave. Hold the razor under the shower regularly to rinse it and to keep it wet. Even if some of the foam is rinsed offf its not a big deal - the running water is a actually a far better lubricant than soap.

The amazing thing about this method is that the running water is such a good lubricant it is almost impossible to cut yourself. The razor just glides over the skin.

Try it. After shaving in the shower attempting to shave at a sink with even the most high tech of shaving foam and the fanciest razor seems like a waste of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭-Wheeler-

Originally posted by Mad Mike
    Oh ye of little fate.

I guess Copernicus must have felt a little likt this when he pronounced that the world was round.

Great reply. Made me laugh.:D

I'm off to try it now. Will report back.:)

3. You don't actually stick your head under the running water while shaving. Here is the routine - Wash face thrououghly under shower and rinse. Then lather up - you don't even need the usual inch thick layer of foam - just normal soapy bubbles will do. Then keep your head slightly out of the running water and shave. Hold the razor under the shower regularly to rinse it and to keep it wet. Even if some of the foam is rinsed offf its not a big deal - the running water is a actually a far better lubricant than soap.

The amazing thing about this method is that the running water is such a good lubricant it is almost impossible to cut yourself. The razor just glides over the skin.

Try it. After shaving in the shower attempting to shave at a sink with even the most high tech of shaving foam and the fanciest razor seems like a waste of time.

ok but what if i wash my face with a soap and stuff and shave , i mean whats the big diffrence. Il try it on saturday, cant risk tomorow.

thanks though .

Originally posted by -Wheeler-

I'm off to try it now. Will report back.:)

I have warned the emergency services to keep an ambulance on standby. If you do accidently cut off your nose don't forget to put in in an ice filled bag :D

Seriously though - do try it. You'll be amazed.

Originally posted by Placebo
    ok but what if i wash my face with a soap and stuff and shave , i mean whats the big diffrence. Il try it on saturday, cant risk tomorow.

thanks though .

For some reason actually being in the steamy shower cubicle seems to work about a million times better than bending over a sink. I guess it is because the atmosphere is totally saturated with water vapour.

• Advertisement
Advertisement