Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are We On Line Yet?

Options
  • 12-11-2003 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

Just wonder if it has happened?

Also why so many complaints about Eircom adds and none for ntHELL?

And is Ireland Off Line just about Customer Services?

How many ISP's provide Broadband?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Errrr.............confusing.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by Elmo
    And is Ireland Off Line just about Customer Services?
    www.irelandoffline.org

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Just wonder if it has happened?

Also why so many complaints about Eircom adds and none for ntHELL?

Urm....because NTL broadband in Ireland is pretty much great. Although they do have feck all customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

In Santiago, Chile it costs €37 a month for a 256k line.

In Curitiba, Brazil it costs €63 a month for a 1Mb line.

In Estonia, it costs €37 a month for a 512k/128k line

In Ireland, it costs €55 a month for a 512k/128k line, and consider yourself lucky if your line pasts the test!

How much does it cost in France, Germany, Britian, Denmark, Spain, Portugal, Greece, Belgium etc.

Are those quotes just there for propaganda?

I want a discussion, not a link.

Do you feel that we are on line yet?

I mean why didn't Ireland Off Line not become an ISP?

Could they not afford to, did they even try?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Do you feel that we are on line yet?
    No. There are large parts of the country with no broadband. Reports (most recently from the CCI) show that many businesses are forced to stay with ISDN or dial-up. This forum is full of people unable to get broadband. So no.

What is the point of this question?

Maybe if you bothered to READ the link you'd see what IOFFL is about. THey're a lobby group. Have you any idea how much it would cost to set up an ISP? Most of the ISP's in Ireland make little profit from their res customers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

eircom still have a monoply over the phone lines so when it comes to dsl all the other isp's are just reselling eircoms probuct which has a very high wholesale rate so setting up an isp wouldnt do any good

because NTL broadband in Ireland is pretty much great. Although they do have feck all customers.

Because they have up to resently only had boardband in parts of tallaght. Would this not be the reason that they have feck all customers?

"Available only in west dublin and lucan." NTL Sales

• Advertisement

How much does it cost in France, Germany, Britian, Denmark, Spain, Portugal, Greece, Belgium etc.

the average cost in those countries is about 35 euro thats for an uncapped service if you want an uncapped dsl service here you have to pay 200 euro

Because they have up to resently only had boardband in parts of tallaght. Would this not be the reason that they have feck all customers?

So you believe there should be more complaints about NTL for not upgrading more areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Elmo, where have your last 1000+ posts been? They certainly haven't been in this Forum. Please read about IOFFL before asking questions like:

Welcome to the Forum, btw. :)

NTL have feck all coverage because the whole of NTL is having financial difficulties and they put stuff like cable roll out on hold.

As for prices in other countries, I live in Belfast and am paying £25 for 512k dsl (1mb after 6pm). That's just under €40. How d'ya like *them* apples?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Elmo, all your qusetions have been answered loads of times on IOFFL. I guess you must have only found this forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Originally posted by eth0_
    As for prices in other countries, I live in Belfast and am paying £25 for 512k dsl (1mb after 6pm). That's just under €40. How d'ya like *them* apples?

At the exchange rate right now, 25 sterling is exactly 35.99 euros (source: www.xe.com). That is a good price, though not exactly one of the cheapest in Europe, but considering it is a 1mbit service at off peak times, not a bad price overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭BigO

To me...

www.irelandoffline.org

Does have some real issues like gettin BB faster not 10 yrs behind Europe, but overall it seems to me to be alot of disgruntled nerds ranting (in nerd talk of course) on about useless thing such as :

ERRR... I want off peak 24/7 !
    ERRR... Wheres my 1Mbit hyper-fibre line!
    ERRR... Its cheaper in Brasil!
    ERRR... I don't want a BB cap because I need to download classic Star Trek daily!

yo get my flow!

They forget the goverment doesn't really care about leather wearing goth nerds cause it has more pressing issues!

I say give O.A.P's Zimmer-frames and Nurses wages then you can have yer blaeden BB!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Originally posted by tuxx
    eircom still have a monoply over the phone lines so when it comes to dsl all the other isp's are just reselling eircoms probuct which has a very high wholesale rate so setting up an isp wouldnt do any good

I don't know if you were speaking literally, but that's not true. They may have an effective monolopy because they make it hard and unattractive for other telco's to unbundle the line. However ESat BT offer (or at least, they certainly used to) business DSL (ADSL, not their RADSL reseller offering) over an unbundled line with no voice service, if you want it. They also offered a line share with eircom for them to provide voice.

.cg

well i was just talking about the majority of the country there are very few places that esat have an exchange where you can get an unbundled line from them

Well the reason for the Question is that I do feel that it is very expencive (Broadband that is).

But I don't understand the ethos of Ireland Off Line.
    Maybe if you bothered to READ the link you'd see what IOFFL is about. THey're a lobby group. Have you any idea how much it would cost to set up an ISP? Most of the ISP's in Ireland make little profit from their res customers...

So how do they go about making money (Thats what they do in business) and also make their residental customers happy?

So basically (with out having to read so all of the post in this fourm, as you pointed out I am new to this fourm) I want to know weather or not we are on line yet?

So 3 basic questions:-

1. Are We On Line Yet?
    2. How much should it cost to go on line with out limits?
    3. Can you make a profit by being a service provider?

Discuss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

So how do they go about making money (Thats what they do in business) and also make their residental customers happy?

OMFG :D , is it April 1st ?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I don't understand the ethos of Ireland Off Line.
    In a nutshell: Affordable Internet Access.
    1. Are We On Line Yet?
    No.
    2. How much should it cost to go on line with out limits?
    "Should?" What do you mean by that? What do you mean by "on line" - broadband or dialup? What do you mean by "with out limits" - speed? online time? cap? There's a sticky in the forum about the cost of broadband in other countries, if that's any help.
    3. Can you make a profit by being a service provider?
    We're not a service provider, and have no intention of ever being one.

What's the purpose of this discussion?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Elmo, you do understand that IOFFL is not-for-profit campaign organisation, also known as a 'pressure group'? It has no income. It has no customers, it has volunteers who help. IOFFL is not here to serve anybody, rather is a group of concerned citizens.

The logistics of becoming an ISP have been investigated at length by boards.ie, and have found to be unviable (meaning you need a massive wad of cash to get started, and an even more massive wad to back it up). So if boards.ie can't, then IOFFL would be similarly limited.

Elmo, I direct you to www.irelandoffline.org if you want to bring yourself up to speed.

(Um...locked to prevent trolling ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I think you're mixing up

IrelandOffline (a non-profit lobby group campaigning for better internet access) (this is the forum you're posting on)

and

IrelandOnline (an ISP company owned by EsatBT)

They are two different organisations.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement