Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wanted: suggest simple WYSIWYG windows software

Options
  • 12-11-2003 8:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

I'm shopping for a (free or commercial) WYSIWYG web editor preferable suited- or targeted at teenage children. Must run on Windows 98 or XP. It needs to accept images drag-and-drop and place them in the local store for easy upload via ftp. Frontpage is a nightmare and wreaks havoc on my cpanel controlled webhost so that's right out.

Most tips and suggestions will be warmly received. :)

thanks a bunch

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 lucian

You could start with Dreamweaver 4.
    It is WYSIWYG pogram for novice and advance designers.
    It has lots of tutorials and help is at hand anytime.

It works very well in conjuction with Fireworks for your photos and Flash if you want something more "Flashy".

I actually still have few books from when I started myself on all of them, so if you are interested PM me and I'll see what I could do for you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Frontpage /shouldn't/ wreak havoc with cPanel, so if you'd like to explain what kind of problems you're getting, someone might be able to help you out.

Dreamweaver is excellent but it is rather expensive and it may be overkill for kids (depends on how high up the teens they are I guess). I started out with Netscape Composer a long time back and found it very good for my amateur mishaps at the time -- that's morphed into Mozilla Composer now, so it's prolly worth a look.

adam

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

NetObjects Fusion isn't bad, it has most of the benefits of Frontpage (for beginners) without the MS non-standard bits.

You can download a 30 day trial from their website, or get a slightly older version free on loads of PC mag cover disks.

Fusion is great if all you're looking to do is get a few reasonable looking pages on the net. If you're looking to get started on a professional track however, Dreamweaver is probably the way to go in the longer term.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

not sure if it's exactly what you want, but W3c offer a free wysiwyg editor / browser called Amaya.

you can find it HERE

Advertisement