Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to Kazaa

• 12-11-2003 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Kazaa has gone to the dogs lately, it's been flooded with all these erroroneous songs. Does anyone know of any good alternatives to Kazaa that have a large user base, are reliable and fast?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

All of the music sharing progs are going to the dogs, Kazaa Lite uses an IP address database to try and keep the **AA from giving you a fubar copy of whatever it is .... There is another app called peerguardian that stops connections from known **AA IP Addresses (and flunkies as well), dunno how well it will work with Kazaa Lite....
    I downloaded a file (it was legit, honest guv!) that had 55 sources, it didnt work and was riddled with viruses ... why did those 55 peeps keep it I'll never know:rolleyes: ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭joc_06

bittorrent is the best for movies,
    ftp's arent bad if you know where to look.
    Usenet isnt bad but i think mirc is streaking ahead of the rest at the mo for all rounders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Yeah, RIAA have put a lot of songs with bits messed up. U have to look for the song with a higher bitrate of 128 say 192 and up. If u find a song with loads of users, best to steer clear as its mostly likely ****ed up.

All the items on bit torrent r real cos who would seed messed up files.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Originally posted by joc_06
    bittorrent is the best for movies,
    I use peerguardian with bittorrent, it shows when you try to connect (or they try to connect to you) to a known **AA (or flunkies) ip address ... it shows what company it is too ... I was quite surprised how often those IP's showed up (they show up in the peerguardian app) ....

Note: Because of the way bittorrent works, they cant easily supply dodgy data, (I'm not 100% certain of that though), well they might supply dodgy data but bittorrent will discard it after it runs its check ...... so they are only harvesting IP adresses AFAIK.....

BTW peerguardian has over 8.2million IP addresses in its database at the moment, they cant possibly all be **AA and flunkies, can they ...:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Delboy79

Depending on what you are looking for..

iMesh (All)
    Very good but id put this on a seperate partition in Windows
    Forces you to install spyware and other dirt like my search bar etc

Xolox (All)
    XoloX is a compact , spyware-free P2P client .

Soulseek (Mp3s)
    Soulseek is an ad-free spyware-free .. Fantastic for getting whole albums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

I'll second that Soulseek is great for file sharing (ahem)

www.slsk.org

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

lots of ways to get stuff m8

easiest way is itunes but i persume u dont want 2 pay 4 the music

ednkey network is very reliable but also very slow
    very few fakes and most files are indexed like on sharereactor or musicdonkey

newsgroups are fast reliable but only have the newest stuff out unless u request it

ftps best all round way if u are lookin 4 all 0day stuff. there are some terabyte dumps out there which is a hell of a lot of downloading

then u have bittorrent fast 4 any and all oday stuff

but to be honest if u are looking 4 random mp3s and not albums u will have 2 use imesh kazaa or something similiar and at the moment they are all crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 seanee

I tried bittorent and it wants €1.91 a minute from me? Good luck to that... Then I went ot install soul seek and the same feckin popup appears asking for €1.91. Dunno what's up with that...

Anyone got some good ftps or any other suggestions?

joc_06 - I have a firewall installed - what else should I do? What's your site?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

That sounds like Spyware and not the actual program needing it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭joc_06

Originally posted by seanee
    I tried bittorent and it wants €1.91 a minute from me? Good luck to that... Then I went ot install soul seek and the same feckin popup appears asking for €1.91. Dunno what's up with that...

joc_06 - I have a firewall installed - what else should I do? What's your site?

I wouldnt class it as spyware but it has absolutely nothing got to do with bittorrent.

go here for some good ftps
    www.shareordie.com
    just register

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

The official SoulSeek website is here:

http://www.slsknet.org/

The other website links to a spyware version with nasty dialler software.

(See here: http://slskboard.savagenews.com/index.php?showtopic=9477 )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Originally posted by seanee

Cant really help you with the ftps m8
    All my ftp accounts are locked 2 my ip to stop sharing
    Also any ftps that are stolen and listed on sites like that are usually being hammered and have worthless speeds
    U have to get involved in the fxp scene to get good access and i am definetely not going 2 talk about that here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i use imesh 3.1 if you can find it.

i doesn't force you to install any spyware to use it as far as i know unlike version 4. it does however pop up ads but its a minor annoyance but perhaps it an be sorted with a good blocker?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Lyconix

Having been irritated at KaZaA for loading their program with spyware and having to download modified 'lite' versions, I use WinMX:

www.winmx.com

Not the easiest app to get used to if you're coming from KaZaA - the interface isn't the nicest nor the most user friendly - but it does work, and seems trustworthy. No ads of any kind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭plastic_axe

i use a really decent program called diet k... blocks adds, removes spyware and accelerates downloads. what more could you want???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭BigO

just use kazaa lite , kazaa without the **** stuff like ad's and spyware and you can auto search more.

use this version its the best:
    http://colatina.com.br/download/arquivos//win95_nt/internet/kazaa/klitekpp210b3e.exe

and for rarer stuff its got to be soul seek!

Advertisement