Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

In Support of DeVore

• 11-10-1999 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭

I haven't been on the boards in a few days, and have just got time to read through a big stack of messages.

One overriding theme in all the messages seems to be a positively unhealthy thread of Devore-bashing. Tom reforms Daa... we complain. Tom tries to make DubLAN fairer and more fun for everyone.... complaints. And so on, and so on.

Nobody is doing anywhere near as much as Tom is at the moment for the Irish gaming community - not just Quake1, but Q2, Tribes, UT, Starcraft... - and right now, I'd imagine that it seems a very unrewarding job. The amount of whining and moaning about DubLAN is unbelievable.

I think maybe it needs to be pointed out here and now that in fact, the vast majority of people are really looking forward to DubLAN, and are very grateful to Tom for organising it. I know that I, and my mates in EM, can't wait for the DubLAN weekend - the "UK contingent" of the team is coming over as well, and there are plans for a party on the Saturday night, and fun and games for the rest of the weekend. DubLAN is the event for the Irish gaming community, and none of it would be possible without Tom.

So no, he doesn't have to explain himself every step of the way. No, he desn't have to listen to constant bull**** and whining. We should all simply be grateful that someone as busy as he is is prepared to devote so much time to the community - and if you have any criticism, at least make it constructive, otherwise hold your tongue.

Sorry, I needed that load off my chest. It's not an ar$e-licking exercise or anything of the sort, before anyone opens a smart mouth, I simply think it's something that needed to be said.

Ja,
    Rob

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Damn right, stop the whinging, people.

[Insert cool quote here]
    Play GLminesweeper!
    http://www.iol.ie/~adamj/dl/mineswp.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Here here.

We love you Tom.

XXX smile.gif

Hail To The King, Baby.

Jaden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭regi

Shinji, your cheque is in the post.

Dan King
    Spin Solutions
    smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

tom knows who is whinging about what.
    and more than likely he's ignoring it...good boy.

shinji, can i borrow your crimping tool [please.
    need it for setting up a certain network project in about 12 days smile.gif
    could mean the difference between you playin and you not playing wink.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

But i enjoy moaning at him, and he is the only one these days that will take it ! tongue.gif

• Advertisement

Eamo, I gots plenty of cat5 (pre-crimped) if ye need it. Or are you doing something bizarre and twisted with it? wink.gif

[Insert cool quote here]
    Play GLminesweeper!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yes, copious amounts of crimped Cat5 is needed. We have uncrimped Cat5 (from lorcans dad last year which is still taking up an entire wardrobe of space in my flat) but I learned my leason from last year and thats CAT5 IS REALLY SLOW TO CRIMP , even with Slosh burning up the plastic coating he was going so fast...

Mail me at devore@spinsol.com and I'll sort out details about dropping it off and picking it up etc...

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Dev needs to be comended....if i hada had to put up with the ammout of $hit...hes had to put with while organising dubLAN i woulda backed out a long time ago...
    WAN DEV TA FU(K!

yeah sher, and he can spell too

wtf is ammount?

ya did yer leavin ffs, at least put yer english to some use

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

sorry eamon...i feel so strongly about the subject...i lost my ability to spell correctly for a time.
    i apologise once again for any trouble caused.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Soz eamo, my crimping tool is at home, and I doubt I'll be home before DubLAN...

I'll have my crimping tool at DubLAN, if that's any help.

Hail To The King, Baby.

Jaden.

will you be up on the friday jaden?
    and can i get it offa you

remember who switched places with you so you could sit beside tellytubby now wink.gif

amp, do you have a crimping tool?
    i also need to get a load of the cat5 cable offa you. phone me

Well I'm going on the Friday so I'll basically bring in a big aul tub full of the stuff.

Do we need any extra hubs? I got a couple of them.

No crimping tool I'm afraid, Eamo, but I'll ring ya anyway

[Insert cool quote here]
    Play GLminesweeper!

i dont have me phone with me today.
    you need somewhere to stay for the weekend?
    beats the hell out of gettin to dun laoghaire every night!
    willk you be at work on the friday and monday coz i have taken them off to help out and i think everyone else should show as much dedication wink.gif

btw, that ol nice isdn connection of castors kicks booty. even i can wrack up 20 frags in 4 minutes

in the words of someone unimportant
    hail to the ping baby

Shell of shotgun, Pint of gin
    Numb us up to shield the pins

Yeah WWM, I'll be around Friday evening. I'll have my (crimping) tool, loads of connectors and about 100m of cat5 cable. I too have offered my services in LAN setup. I can do crimping, and you can be in charge of rugby shirt allocation.

Hail To The King (and 20 ping at DubLAN, Baby.

Jaden.

hmm good idea but I have to work the Friday. Might take the monday off though.

Well if we have a crimper and connectors then I can get all the cable we need. Got boxes of the stuff.

Any idea what the story is with hubs? I have enough for 64 connections.

[Insert cool quote here]
    Play GLminesweeper!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Amp, Monday is a Bank Holiday.... dont you like what I do for you smile.gif

Friday-day we will be setting up the servers with the mods and games etc (hopefully... UT/Q2 people bring your own copies, I dont know what you want on these servers!!!).

Friday evening we will be creating the network and getting everyone up on it.
    (7pm-9pm), so if you are up for some cabling and the like, you could lend a hand at Croke Park convention centre....

Dev.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭JaneyMackers

Well. On the sunday i'am running a larger than mormal scale club night in the new venue HQ. It on Middle abbey street and LADS YOU'LL ALL LIKE THIS IT SERVES BOOZE RIGHT UP TILL 3 AM YEAH THAT RIGHT 3AM. tHERES 3 DIFFERENT ROOMS TO CHOOSE FROM SO IF YOU DON'TLIKE ONE JUST GO TO ANOTHERS smile.gif

So ya'll gonna come down??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

'larger than mormal'?? what have the Mormons got to say about that then smile.gif

• Advertisement

they dont mind but the hari krishnas are upset i believe.

anyway..
    i have all the q2 mods on cd, so i can install them no probs.
    i'll also install the ut demo as well.
    Dev, is there any perticular time on friday you want us around to start the cable party at?
    i'll be available from about noon onwards.
    ppl will be bringing their pc's from about 6 onwards?

what is the story on network cards?
    i ahve me own, but some ppl wont have them. do they have to have them preinstalled coz as we all know sometimes they are hos to get running.

if you can give us a timetable or somethjing for friday id appreciate it. just a short at this timeish we hope to be doing thisish..hopefully, type thing. if you know what i meanish

amp, if you can manage to drop yer stuff at my house by friday i can deal with it from there coz i have to go home and fix mammys pc sad.gif
    phone me tonight at about 10ish

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭juNkie

I'll try an find that Q2 cd meself an Shank burned up for last year, it has everything on it.

Don't need anything for UT except for all the demo releases which on the day will come in useful somewhere. I'll lash emm on a cd.

Sounds good Ben, and will there be a free drink for your favourite Q2 addict???? wink.gif

juNk laa

EAMON GOT THERE BEFORE ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FUKIN AUSTRALIAN *(& £*(£&*

[This message has been edited by juNkie (edited 12-10-99).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Did somebody mention drink? smile.gif

On a serious note, there is always a certain amount of b!tchiness to be found on these boards, but I think Tom will remember QP1 and how greatful everyone was when they met him in person.

Talk to yaz @ The Event.

Al.

Yah, I still have my picture that FB drew me smile.gif although I may have lost the beard by DubLAN! *sob*

Network cards MUST be preinstalled. Bring driver cds etc with you as we wont have internet access.

Friday looks like this:

12 noon Meet up in Spinsol HQ for cabling and server setup parties. (we'll have to test them too you know smile.gif )

7pm people arrive and start to set up machines and the lan in general.

9pm we leave lan site and go drink (a little).

Sunday Night is the Charity auction which I'd be much obliged if people would come to.
    After that (it ends about 11:30) we can head to Janeys super fab DISCO! :p
    Anyone who was at the auction last year, speak up and testify that its worth going to (adra has pictures somewhere... god help me...)

I'll have a timetable done up for the events soon but its likely to be
    UT on Sat,
    Q2 sunday,
    SC monday.

Q1 will run mega FFA's on Sat and Sunday (final).
    4 v 4 Clan tournie on Sunday afternoon. (1-4)
    Clan Survival Sunday evening (4-6)
    Clan Arena 2 v 2 heats (6- sunglasses.gif

WAAAH does this mean I cant play UT on sunday or monday????

No. Its just the timetable for the major events. BTW, I have no prizes whatsoever for these this year. I havent had time and I couldnt be arsed. If you are coming to DubLAN to win prizes you are at the wrong lan smile.gif

DeVore

I can lend people a couple of network cards. Mail me at shoebat@yahoo.com if you'll need one. They'll mostly be 3com 905b's (PCI)

And can somebody tell me if we need hubs?
    Pwease?

Talk to ya tonight Eamo.

Wait-a-minute! No net access???? For a WHOLE WEEKEND????!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHH!!! wink.gif

[Insert cool quote here]
    Play GLminesweeper!

bring yer collection of donkey pr0n

you'll need a good laugh after i whip yer arse

Ahhhh Eamo, now EVERYBODY will want to access my puter!

Sheeesh!

[Insert cool quote here]
    Play GLminesweeper!

Advertisement