Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Japanese Electronica

• 12-11-2003 10:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭

After listening to electronica on some anime and videogame soundtracks, I like its flair and want to listen to some other work. Can anybody recommend some dance or electronica artists from Japan?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Get these albums

throbbing disco cat - takkyu ishino(he has another album, can't remember name of it)
    sender berlin
    DJ FUMITOSI - DJF400
    ural 13 diktators(not sure if japansee)

Now these albums are kinda along the lines of electro with a nice baseline, I'm into techno so they may be a bit far fetch, but see if yea can download a few tunes off them an if yea like em buy the album

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

If you want something more laid back, try Susumu Yokota.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Merzbow.

Dude called Masami Akita.
    Just... ****ed... Up...

masami2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭The Second

Mad Capsule Markets.... I'm not sure if thats what you are looking for .. but they are from Japan .. and they are excellent...
    they have two albums.. and I'd recommend both!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

merzbow as the angel whore already said... saw an interview with him once and my god he is the most whacked out looking geezer ever.... his eyes blew my mind... you could tell that he just sits there living off bread and water listening to white noise and static at earsplitting levels for days on end... and according to the interview thats pretty much exactly what he does do... scary geezer...

makoto... signed to ltj bukem's good looking label, also released a few tunes on the earth compilations and the cookin' sublabels... really smooth musical good groovin drum and bass. one helll of a dj too....

techno wise fumiya tanaka is the best thing to come out of tokyo, and i wish i could remember the name of the japanese movie he did a cameo in... literally, he walks into the room in the middle of the two main characters getting it on, ignores them, walks over to the decks and lashes on this gratuitous techno tune, next thing the couple are shown chilling out post coitally - techno as metaphor for energetic sex... sweet. he doesnt even say a word, nor does his character do anything but lash on some techno for two strangers and walk out of their gaffe the same way he walked in....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

and dj krush as well on a sumptuously produced instrumental hip hop vibe....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Richie Kavanagh, not many people know he is infact Japanese...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Originally posted by The Second
    Mad Capsule Markets.... I'm not sure if thats what you are looking for .. but they are from Japan .. and they are excellent...
    they have two albums.. and I'd recommend both!

the mad caps are fantastic. it's a pity that they've never visited these shores (they went to england though). check out some of their older material though, it's great stuff... AND they're in the studio (again) for a new album

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I like the mad caps but I definitely wouldn't call them electronica. Maybe 'electropunk' or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Junkhausen

http://www.junkhausen.cjb.net
    japanese influenced techno

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 notty dread

Tsuyoshi Suzulki? Dunno about elecronica - but i think this fella is the Japanese version of Fergie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Beer Baron

Dj Krush- yeh he's the king of stoney grooves, got one album of him there recently where he's teamed up with some jazz trumpet guy- does a cover of Bob Marley's "Sun is Shining"- awww! It's serious flop-out and lay back material.

Ken Ishi's pretty cool, done some decent stuff on R&S records. I think he was also the sound-man for the movie Pi, unless it's a different Ken Ishi.

And there's UFO- they're 2 japaneese guys and some other guy I don't know, pretty obscure, basically they're more of a freeform Dj Shadow, that same groove recyclist vibe- crazy crazy.

There was some other crazy bastards used to be on Rising High- I dunno what they were called but they were very odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Beer Baron

btw- anyone know of this, it's like a remix of the "Ghost in the Shell" music, only, well I dl'd it off kazza ages ago- and it was down as Aphex Twin, but then american geeks love to fart into a microphone and pretend that it was Aphex Twin, regardless it's a really decent tune (kick drum could be fatter tho) but it don't sound like the twin to me. Anybody know about it?

Actually reminds me, I must get the soundtrack to that film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by The Beer Baron
    btw- anyone know of this, it's like a remix of the "Ghost in the Shell" music, only, well I dl'd it off kazza ages ago- and it was down as Aphex Twin, but then american geeks love to fart into a microphone and pretend that it was Aphex Twin, regardless it's a really decent tune (kick drum could be fatter tho) but it don't sound like the twin to me. Anybody know about it?

Actually reminds me, I must get the soundtrack to that film.

Could've been KMFDM...
    I think they also did a track for the Street Fighter 2 manga.

Advertisement