Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N-Gage Help

• 12-11-2003 11:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Do any of you have any cheats for Sonic N, Flo Boarder and Pandemonium? I'm looking for codes to unlock the secret levels and items.

Anyone tried the 256mb Card yet ;) ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

O2 tell me it'll only support 128, but I think thats Nokia shpeel!!! Personally, I reckon it'll take a 256, but I'm not buyin one for mine until I find out.

I think the largest Nokia (branded) card is only 128

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭BluE-WinG

Wolfman, Thats what I heard too, until I heard about people trying the 256mb cards, and they worked.

Would you consider worth it to get a 256mb Card over a 128mb for Music?

What do you think of the n-gage as a whole??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭manchine

Had a chance to play with one a little while ago. They actually *are* good. Had I the cash I might even fork out for one.
    The only thing I didn't like were the headphones that have two seperate jacks - twice the chance of breaking IMHO.
    Only played Tomb Raider and Pandemonium. Pandemonium looks and plays geat. I'm told that Red Faction should be available at some point. Wonder if you could go head-to-head over bluetooth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

there are 2 headphone jacks for the simple reason that one is the standard 3.5mm audio jack, the other is for the microphone and button on the headphones.

cheat0rs are evil.

Originally posted by manchine
    Had a chance to play with one a little while ago. They actually *are* good. Had I the cash I might even fork out for one.
    The only thing I didn't like were the headphones that have two seperate jacks - twice the chance of breaking IMHO.
    Only played Tomb Raider and Pandemonium. Pandemonium looks and plays geat. I'm told that Red Faction should be available at some point. Wonder if you could go head-to-head over bluetooth?

Yep I believe Red faction will have multiplayer via the standard bluetooth :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

If N-Gage does not support 256MB MMC in this current firmware version it will probably be supported in the next firmware update, that's what happened with 3650 anyhow!

Have had my N-Gage for about two weeks now and I really like it A LOT, use the radio the most, dead handy on the DART and the music player is good but u need a big MMC to get the most from it. There is no shuffle option so if u have **** loads of MP3's on there it can be a pain skipping through them to get to what you want, then again it does support playlists so thats an option. Sound quality with supplied headphones is very good and you can listen to radio/music while playing games which is a nice thing to be able to do. I don't use it as a phone much at all, YES it looks really weird when on calls. A lot of people have commented on this and it is definitely an off putter to some as well as the current price!

Games wise I have Tomb Raider, Sonic N, Pandmonieum, Puyo Pop and Super Monkey Ball as well as Puzzle Bobble VS. Like Tomb Raider a lot and Sonic N is pretty slick. Looking forward to getting Virtua Tennis and Red Faction.

Hey Madmoe, sounds like youre having great fun with the ngage.

I bought a 256mb MMC card, works like a treat :) Im sure in the next firmware it will be 'officially' supported.

What do you think of the games, my personal fave is SonicN and Pandemonium.
    Super Monkey balls I didnt like, too slow and framerate loss. Havent really tried much else. Have you seen the SonicN 3d Bonus levels, they kick ass. Do you think the device was good value for money?

I'm thinking it was simply because of all of the functionality. Although no shuffle on MP3 sucks !!!!!!!!

Does the N-gage support a 256meg card out of the box? if not, what must I do?

the phone works a treat, got all the radio stations tuned in, a couple of games on it (tony hawks and SonicN, havent had time to try the others yet), but MP3 ringtones! pretty good feature. also the phone appears to support standard MIDI files as ringtones, am I correct? must try that one out.

i hear red faction will support 4+ players via bluetooth! :D

only gripe I have is the battery life, it didnt even last the day after being fully charged (well, maybe I was using it a good bit during the day).

I presume leaving games running while not being in them drains the battery? good feature noone knows about: hold in the menu button (beside the MP3 and radio buttons) and a mini menu pops up displaying all running tasks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

how much are games for the ngage and where can u get them?

i havn't got an ngage but i might, is it heavy or would it be the weight of an avg. phone

just weighed mine, its about 140 grammes. I don't notice if its in my pocket or not. i guess it is a bit heavier than an average fone, but hey, its worth it.

can't comment on the prices of the games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Originally posted by marclar
    Does the N-gage support a 256meg card out of the box? if not, what must I do?

best would be to find someone else who has got one working and find out what brand / manufacturer they are using

there can be issues depending on the beand / manufacturer MMC card - this thread might be worth a read
    Originally posted by marclar
    good feature noone knows about: hold in the menu button (beside the MP3 and radio buttons) and a mini menu pops up displaying all running tasks.

it's handy alright - also works like that for other Series 60 devices (7650 / 3650...)

BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I am thinking about getting the n-gage from this website for €170 (ex. v+d) and 3 free games and I have a few qustions.

Are American phones the same as European ones and can I put any sim card in it?

I have a nokia 3310 charger, will this work with this phone?

Is there any other accessories I would need if I buy this phone?

Any other info highly appreciated.

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

Anyone tried bluejacking with their nGage on crowded public transport or in shopping centres? It's effin priceless to watch people's reactions sometimes - lmao

FYI - if you don't know what 'bluejacking' is - visit http://www.bluejackq.com

It never fails to enterain me watching some fool look around wonder who the feck has just bluejacked him & when you get personal you can see them go nuts - class stuff lmao

EVERYONE who has bluetooth on their phone should try it - it's just laods of fun with the nGage cos you can hide what your doing by sticking on the radio real loud & the fools are no wiser you're operating a fone if ur sneaky enuff ;)

BLUEJACKING - helping you make new friends & new enemies for the 21st century...... ;)

You can get MMC cards for the nGage for RIDICULOUSLY cheap prices on EvilBay -

I've got software which I'm currently getting to grips with that will allow me to compress a movie onto a 256 mb card so I can watch movies via the RealOne player on my nGage - hopefully I can get a few episodes of the simpsons on it...

if you got XP/2K - GET YOURSELF A USB BLUETOOTH adapter - the usb cable you get with the nGage doesn't work with it on those platforms & forget about PCSuite - doesn't work with the nGage too well neither - just use the bluetooth software with the adapter- you can sync your contacts with your PC dead easy via that, & send/receive wallpapers just as well as PC Suite....

Overall - I am LOVING the sh*t outta my nGage & i ONLY ever used sony/ericsson phones up to this as I REALLY hated Nokias - this thing is a dream FULL stop - links up well to my HP iPaq5455 PDA via bluetooth - does me just nicely......

How's everyone else finding it - any other quirks you've come across??? Only thing bugging me still is trying to arrange the contact lists by first name instead - would make it handier for getting to my bluejacking items for a quick bluejack..... other than that, no real complaints - the games look & play AWESOME - hope they've more coming for it soon..... games are a bit pricey, but hey that's what card reader/writers & cheap MMC cards are for ;)

Hey, Id recommend you get it. It works in USA and Europe no problem. You should be able to put any simcard into it.

Yes the charger you have will work with it - it takes the standard Nokia charger.

Maybe a blue tooth adapter if you wanted to sync the phone to your pc :) Thats what accessory Id recommend, It comes with hands free kit aswell.

What games would you choose? ;)

Has anyone here tried this phones mp3 player out, and given the software a good test, apparently it does have shuffle for the mp3s !

Originally posted by BluE-WinG
    Maybe a blue tooth adapter if you wanted to sync the phone to your pc :) Thats what accessory Id recommend, It comes with hands free kit aswell.
    does the blue tooth adapter definitely come with a hands free kit cos I was going to buy a hands free kit anyway? Also, If I hook it up to my PC can I upload MP3's to the phone from my PC? How many MP3's would you fit on a regular 32meg card?

Eireboy, no the bluetooth adapter doesnt come with the handsfree kit supplied.
    Hooking it up to your pc is done via a USB cable, and it sees the MMC card as a hard drive - Quite nice if you ask me. 32mb, Takes maybe about 10 mp3s, I'd recommend a 256mb card ;) Thats what I purchased for it.

Hey SilverSurfer, I've done blue jacking in my local pub, had some idiot wandering around the place looking for who did it, was hilarious.

Hehe watching movies on it, interesting thought, I wonder if the phone will take a 512mb SD Card ;) Dammit I want 1024mb -- Could fit a full divx on it, although you then need a playa... Does it interface well with your pda? Any connection problems with bluetooth?

512MB cards won't work wqirth the ngage - although once you physically resize a movie in terms of pixels down to an nGage screen size (172x132px) & leave it as an MPEG format & mix down the audio, you'll easily get a 90min movie onto a 256MB card.....

I've had NO problems with the bluetooth adapter cos the USB cable REALLY did my head in trying to get it work & Nokia Ireland are as useful as a waterproof teabag - but I eventually found out the USB cable doesn't effin work with XP/2K so I went the bluetooth route, which turned out handier.

Interfaces like a DREAM with the PDA esp for internet connections - wouldn't mind, but my PDA has built in wireless networking - handy while I'm in work since we have a wifi point ;)

Hehe sounds like your enjoying the ngage. Im loving it too, Mainly for games, as my PDA has a phone built in ;)

Also the USB cable drove me up the wall, very very annoying it doesnt work.
    Alot of people have been confused by it, until they find out what its really meant for.

Let me know how you get on with putting movies on it ;)

/me remembers back in the day of watching those nokia ads on TV with the girl on the bus watching a movie... Ahhh lol

Anyone got any other multi uses for the Nokia N-gage, Movies, Mp3s, Games, I want to get more value from my phone, Anyone use it for anything else???

making friends by bluejacking - come on, making new friends is priceless.... ;)

• Advertisement

bluejacking is rather limited, sending someone a mystical contact from your fone book, come on!

and as for charger compatibility.....it most certainly should NOT be used with any other charger. just because it fits doesnt mean it works! the voltages are different on different Nokia phones, so you run the risk of blowing the phone, or just retarding the battery life to nowt (and it doesnt last too long anyway, so that cant be a good thing!)

even if it says it is charging with another charger, both higher and lower voltages aren't good for the battery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Can you output the video from a n-gage to a monitor/TV?

nope - u can't output from an nGage, there's no TV/VIDEO out option on it.... doesn't mean some smartarse won't figure it out - some of the sh*t some ppl do with phones these days borders on mind-boggling!!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Im just wondering how much you lot paid for your N-Gages and where you bought them. I couldnt see N-Gage on either O2 or Vodafones websites. What concerns me most is I keep seeing The N-Gage for $199 when its being sold in the UK for £230. I just get the feeling that the Irish are going to be shafted that little bit extra (Suprise Suprise). If its €350+ as I imagine it is, has anyone successfully ordered an N-Gage from a US site at $199?

I've successfully ordered a few from that site for friends - I paid like €329 for mine with a deal from CPW when they had it out first before anyone else in Ireland.....

Phones in Ireland are traditionally more expensive cos we're a cash cow nation - that's why they get away with it in general cos IRISH PEOPLE DO NOT COMPLAIN, or if & when they do on this board (as I've seen) they haven't a clue about how to complain properly & have their facts about how to complain arseways.....

BUY NOTHING from this country - I buy **** all here now. My guitars I import from the USA & Germany cos I save a FORTUNE on them. I don't even buy my clothes here - I import them too, still works out cheaper with shipping......

Only things I buy here are food, even my drink I head up every month or so to N.I. & buy a sh*tload & save myself a fortune, cos loads of us go into a pool to go up & get it so we're saving on petrol.....

It's plainly obvious making your feelings known with your vote here is pointless cos they're all a shower of self-serving sh*tes in govt., so I vote with my wallet.....

Once I get my apt. rented up in N.I., I'm using that as a my designtaed address & paying taxes to the UK gvot. instead cos it's cheaper instead of giving it to that Charleton McCreevy....

BUY YOUR NGAGE outside Ireland - don't buy it here, shower of thieving gits that we have here......

i got mine for €299, along with a total of €70 of credit (with O2)

Originally posted by LoGiE
    Im just wondering how much you lot paid for your N-Gages and where you bought them. I couldnt see N-Gage on either O2 or Vodafones websites. What concerns me most is I keep seeing The N-Gage for $199 when its being sold in the UK for £230. I just get the feeling that the Irish are going to be shafted that little bit extra (Suprise Suprise). If its €350+ as I imagine it is, has anyone successfully ordered an N-Gage from a US site at $199?
    Its $199 on this site and you get 3 free games. It is locked to an American Network so I haven't oredered one until I know for sure I can get it unlocked. It is definitely not a scam as it was recommended by N-Gage as you will see here. So what I want to know is if I order this phone am I 100% sure to get it unlocked?

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

It should be lauching on Vodafone early next month..

I've found out that you only need a code to get the phone unlocked. here is the link:
    http://nokiafree.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

@BluE-WinG
    REALLY like my N-Gage!! Which 256MB card did you get? I wanna get one to have all the games on the one MMC and as much music as possibe!

Not too gone on SoniC N even though I loved original when younger! My fav's are Pandamoneium and I have a thing for Puyo Pop, damn hard to beat on the later levels.

I have to say definitely value for money, u get SO much including a tri band phone, most are still DUAL band so that's good in itself. Wanna get Virtua Tennis, looks pretty good and Red Faction too!!

Advertisement