Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anywhere to buy small but new hard drives?

• 12-11-2003 11:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

as the title asks, anyone know? Looking for something around the 6-10gig area (new). I know where I can get some reconditioned ones, but the prices they're asking are a bit crazy.
    Thanks,
    Rob

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You cant buy anything that small new these days. 20 gb is the minimum and only a few of then left but prices are so low why not buy more space?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

I have a 4 gig maxtor drive here. Pm me with a decent offer, if its not decent I won't bother selling it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

www.jaguarcompsys.ie - resonable 20GB and 40GB

For business networks where you don't store data on PC's 10GB would be loads...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,649 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    www.jaguarcompsys.ie - resonable 20GB and 40GB/B]

Cheapest drive there is €60 incl VAT :(

Have some spare small ones 1.7 - 4.3 GB that I'll let go cheaply :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by BoB_BoT
    as the title asks, anyone know? Looking for something around the 6-10gig area (new). I know where I can get some reconditioned ones, but the prices they're asking are a bit crazy.
    Thanks,
    Rob

BTW:
    Do you mean secondhand ?

Or do you mean they are rebuilt and guaranteed ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

well i'd prefer new and packaged, but a reliable second hand dealer that has them reconditioned would do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

the reason companies keep improving things is because the old ones keep droping in price until they sell for less then it costs to make them.

buy second hand or else get a nice big drive and you won't have to buy again for a few years

Originally posted by tlachta
    the reason companies keep improving things is because the old ones keep droping in price until they sell for less then it costs to make them.

buy second hand or else get a nice big drive and you won't have to buy again for a few years

Disagree Strongly - I don't feel that IDE drives made nowadays are more reliable than ones made a decade ago..
    I reckon there is a market for CLASSIC drives ie. ones that have PROVEN low MTBF rather than the advertised "designed" MTBF's

Yes it takes about €50-60 (retail) to produce a Zero capacity hard drive - motors / controllers etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

capt- nah mate you got me wrong, i don't think there more reliabal, but they improved in speed and size

i took form BoB_BoT original post that he might be curious why- if you can get a new 120gig drive for say €120 euro why you can't get a new 10 gig drive for €10, thats what i was trying to explain,

although your post actually explained it better, lol

Advertisement