Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghost in the machine?

Options
  • 13-11-2003 2:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine got a PC from Elara EVENTUALLY after I had a lot of hardship sorting it for him.

2 questions.

1... He switched offf his PC last night going to bed and it was on this morning when he got up??? Any ideas?? It's a Duron 2000 system with 256 RAM and I think it's a SiS chipset

2... Yesterday, he tried to restart Windows 98 a few times and each time he clicked on restart, it popped up with a fatal exception error, He has **** all software installed on it since he got it, so any ideas greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

1. Ive seen before on quite a lot of systems that when they turn on by themselves when they are plugged in, or when there is a power cut and power is restored - could be happening here.

2. I presume its a fresh install of Win98? Could be a mobo issue with re-initialising all the hardware with a restart rather than from a cold boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Hmmm, check BIOS setting for power management. Check the Wake up setting and the After Power Loss settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Also check Wake On LAN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

Great. I'll try those suggestions lads and let you know how I get on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Wel in regards to it turning itself on and off, I've had various computers do this in my house. Did he wire it himself, howold is the wiring? Mine is about 20 years old at tyhis stage and was not done by a pro, so maybe that's the reason.

As for the problem with windows 98, it, um is the fact that he's using win98.

• Advertisement
Advertisement