Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Sheds?

Options
  • 13-11-2003 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Anybody know of a cheap place to buy a garden shed that will deliver to Dublin??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,437 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I imagine garden centres and the like will deliver, seeing as they are an outsized item. They typically come as flat-packs and need assembly (I'm sure they would have a list of assemblers).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Kellys Garden Sheds somewhere in Wicklow (sorry, can't find the number !) do a good range and will deliver to Dublin and assemble it for you when they get there.

When I was shopping around I checked out prices in the likes of Woodies but from what I can remember they were not much cheaper if even at all plus you'd have to assemble it yourself, and after looking at the lads put together ours I'm glad I didn't have to :D

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Polonious

Cheers all,

Shopped around and they are all much the same price. Ordered one from WIcklow in the end as per Jip's advise, can't be arsed putting it together myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Cosworth

Or you could do what i am doing.
    Concrete base and a timber frame consruction complete with a pitched roof,but thats prob more work than you needed,i didn't want to pay a couple of hundred euro for a garden shed that would only take a few bikes/lawnmower and a few tools and that a good breeze would knock down.

This way may be costing me more(about 1000euro)but i will have a good shed that will last for years.

I have plans if anybody is interested.

Gary

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Polonious

Would have done it that way if I had the funds, unfortunately not though!

• Advertisement

Oh, be careful not to place it over a drain - doing that cost a client €50,000+ when they put a shed on concrete blocks over the oil line.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Victor tell us more I'm curious :confused::confused::confused:

The client was a guest house. They set up the shed (for storage) on concrete blocks on top of the oil line. They noticed that the oil bill was higher that winter. It wasn't until the council pollution guys complained about oil coming out through their drains that they actually knew anything was wrong. I was asked to act as go between for the guest house with the council until the insurance guys could get involved.

Oil, being lighter than water, won't penetrate the water table and instead starts to spread out in the ground above it.

Basically they had to shut the oil off at the boiler, run the boiler dry (to remove oil from the pipe), block the drain (inflating bladder), dig a hole to get the oil to migrate back and then excavate all the contaminated soil. Note: digging big hole next to old building with dodgy (if any) foundations is not, eh, fun.

Pink area on pic is contaminated.

Victor, nice follow up!! I remember 7 years ago digging my oil line, I went down 1 meter because it can get very cold here like -15 . I know where my pipe goes so I hope I never have trouble with it!!!

Originally posted by greenman
    Victor, nice follow up!! I remember 7 years ago digging my oil line, I went down 1 meter because it can get very cold here like -15 . I know where my pipe goes so I hope I never have trouble with it!!!
    NP. The ideal thing is to put it overground (not always possible and in extreme conditions will need insulating) or in a duct (the duct will allow a certain amount of loading before the pipe is endangered and the duct will contain most of the spillage).

• Advertisement

All good points you raise!!! :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

I'll just resurrect this thread as I'm in the market for a shed. I just want to arm myself with information before drawing up a list of candidate sheds. What should I be looking for? Overlap vs shiplap vs barrel? Chipboard vs tongue-and-groove floorboard? What's the difference between 8x6 and 6x8? etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I'll just resurrect this thread as I'm in the market for a shed. I just want to arm myself with information before drawing up a list of candidate sheds. What should I be looking for? Overlap vs shiplap vs barrel? Chipboard vs tongue-and-groove floorboard? What's the difference between 8x6 and 6x8? etc.

Where are you based?

I had a thread last week that no one came back on.

Gererally, its width by depth, 8X10 = 8 foot wide and 10 foot deep

My advise is shiplapped sides, tongue and groove floor/roof and also a cladded roof - not mineral felt.

Just ordered one from a Longord based supplier that could meet all my specs and willing to pass over neighnbours wall - others wouldn't because of insurance issues.

Even though it's treated I'll treat once a year, the key is the cladded roof I think.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

There is a place in Johnstown on the Cork road that sells shed and they deliver and install it for €300. Very happy with my shed. Me+Shed=Made Up

slave1,
    I'm in south-west Dublin. The thing about 8x6 vs 6x8 that stumps me is the price difference. That's why I'm wondering what the difference is. Why do you recommend the cladded roof over felt? My dad built many a pigeon loft with felt and it lasted for years (until they were pulled down anyway). What does the cladded roof consist of? Thing is, I don't believe I've ever come across them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

the cladded roof is pvc coated steel/alluminimum, it will last forever whereas the felt roof will eventually need replacing
    you often see the old barna hut here and there with a collapsed roof, this will not happen with cladding
    maintenance free

http://www.gardensheds.ie/

http://www.abwood.ie/products/sheds/timore.html

I could not go for one of these guys because I do not have a side entrance and they were not insured to deliver via a neighbours garden!!!!

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

I got a Shed from a plase in louth, they are called Funshog Garden Sheds, its an 8x8 foot can't remember exact price but it was around €400 and under 500, it is really good, wood shiplapped saides, metal cladded roof and basic plastic membrane on the inside, they came and put up the shed within an hour or so, in Navan.

Thanks lads.

So far, the best price we've seen is this one in B&Q for €312. It's 6.5x6.5 and has a double door one of which I might just fix in place. It's got tongue and groove too. I'm still holding out for a 6x8 but any prices I've seen onlin are in or around the €365 mark and even they don't seem to be of the same quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

O'Kellys in Rathfarnham. http://www.theshedman.com/
    Decent sheds but not cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rosn123

I am about to order a shed but have been told I need to supply 4 x 4" solid blocks. Anyone know where I can get these from in the Stillorgan area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭chabsey

rosn123 wrote:
    I am about to order a shed but have been told I need to supply 4 x 4" solid blocks. Anyone know where I can get these from in the Stillorgan area?

Have just bought one and had to buy 10 4" blocks for it to sit on. Was in the Stillorgan area too, so can provide you with advice as current as it gets! I bought my blocks in Brooks Thomas in the Sandyford Ind Estate, they're a builders providers, not like Woodies. You go in, pay at the desk before you do anything else and they give you a receipt. Take the receipt out to the end of the compound where they keep the blocks. Hand it to one of the guys there and they'll load up your car/van with the blocks. As you're leaving, hand the receipt to the security guy who'll check you're not stealing anything!

Total cost: 1 euro per block, so it'll be 4 euros for you. They're quite heavy and flaky (dusty/dirty) so lay something on the floor of your boot before loading them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Cosworth wrote:
    Or you could do what i am doing.
    Concrete base and a timber frame consruction complete with a pitched roof,but thats prob more work than you needed,i didn't want to pay a couple of hundred euro for a garden shed that would only take a few bikes/lawnmower and a few tools and that a good breeze would knock down.

This way may be costing me more(about 1000euro)but i will have a good shed that will last for years.

I have plans if anybody is interested.

Gary

I would be very interested in this Gary. I have a tiny, tiny shed beside the house but I want to build a propber shed at the very end of the garden across the full width (circa 8 meters).

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

I have a 8ft x 10ft if anyone wants to collect it. Need to get something a bit bigger....Shed 2.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rosn123

chabsey wrote:
    Have just bought one and had to buy 10 4" blocks for it to sit on. Was in the Stillorgan area too, so can provide you with advice as current as it gets! I bought my blocks in Brooks Thomas in the Sandyford Ind Estate, they're a builders providers, not like Woodies. You go in, pay at the desk before you do anything else and they give you a receipt. Take the receipt out to the end of the compound where they keep the blocks. Hand it to one of the guys there and they'll load up your car/van with the blocks. As you're leaving, hand the receipt to the security guy who'll check you're not stealing anything!

Total cost: 1 euro per block, so it'll be 4 euros for you. They're quite heavy and flaky (dusty/dirty) so lay something on the floor of your boot before loading them up.

Thanks for that. That is very useful. I will pay them a visit soon.

Advertisement