Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to "Pop the question" ??

• 13-11-2003 12:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭

Boys/Girls,
    Myself and the missus are 5 years going out on Saturday , I have recently purchased the diamond and am contemplating the best way to propose ??

Any idea's ? I ain't much of a romantic but would obvioulsy like to make it memorable for her . I've just left myself open to a whole host of smart remarks now on how I could make it memorable haven't I ???

Please some idea's ??? Girls out there ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭evie

Plain and simple.
    Make her a nice meal, be all romantic about it mind, and aftewards just pop the question!
    Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Is that the way women would like it done then ?

I had thought about bringing here out for dinner as I amn't a genius in the kitchen .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭IgnatiusJRiley

Yeah, bring her out for dinner and get down on one knee. The fact that you are willing to feel like an idiot in front of strangers will make her go weak at the knees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Charter a private jet down to some bogger zone then snazzy hotel. Propose sometime during that.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

well now, a classy restaurant would be cool, I adore the French Restaurant Frere Jacques on Dame Street – I’ve only been there twice as it’s dead expensive (approx 180 for two) but they are quite posh, for want of a better word – ask for a nice quiet corner table as you are going to propose, they will do their level best to accommodate – book well in advance for this!
    can’t go wrong with that one!

• Advertisement

Chartered flight , not an option !!

Okay so it's between cooking myself or bringing her out and as Ignatius says going down on one knee .

Right now thinking about it i couldn't give a flyin fcuk what any other people in the restaurant think but come the hour that would surely change !!

Any other females opinion's would be appreciated ??

ashford castle
    not as expensive as you might think...

http://www.ashford.ie/

Beruthiel,
    You've got expensive taste !!

Originally posted by tinofapples
    Any other females opinion's would be appreciated ??

I've given you two ffs!
    either one has her sold imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Have to agree on the Frere Jacques - it's lovely, the Lord Edward seafood place is also great and just around the corner plus usually very quiet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Women are idiots and all have the same weird idea running tru brain.

1st Location must have some kind of romantic feel to it,therefore your manky kitchen goes out the window, nice french restaurant or beach prefered.

2nd Public view they feel a sado urge to know that you ****ting when you ask so need to pause for a moment in public view of other people before asking,makes em feel good or somfin, also they like to tell others how you proposed.

Sadly these 2 things actually matter to a women more than the ring and the idea the ring represents.

Either way your screwed she says no you look like a muppet ,she says yes your life is over.

Go with the snazzy restaurant in front of people and she be happy. Go with your bedroom with lights out if you scared.

im not bitter :D
    ps i did it in front of 70 mates on a holiday in Portugal on a beautiful beach at sunset.

kdjac

Originally posted by tinofapples
    You've got expensive taste !!

yup
    well, if you spent loads on a diamond I didn't think the rest would be much more :D

beans on toast then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

Tinofapples,

I was in your situation about 2 months ago.
    We were lucky enough to be in Rome for my sisters wedding so I decided I would do it is a nice surrounding, but not cause a crowd.

I think people asking a girl to get engaged in a resturant, etc in a room full of people is probably not what the girl wants.
    You should not really share the moment with a room full of strangers, this is yer moment, I suggest keeping it private.

This is one of the things which your girlfriend, then fiance, then wife, then mother of your children will always look back on and when your kids ask 'well mam, how did Dad ask you', she will want to be proud of that special occassion.

What I suggest to you, and espically seeing as the cost of airfares is over low at the moment, is to tell her to keep a weekend free. Surprise her on a Friday/Saturday evening and whisk her off on a plane to another country. Rome is only 3 hours away :) Even Paris, a bit of a cliche, but hey, its better than 'down the road'.

Now, that you have the trip set, its time to figure out when to do it! I suggest you do it on your first night over there, whilst, say walking to the resturant, all alone, near a landmark. Then ye 2 can spend the rest of your weekend all excited and thinking about the big day etc etc!

You are probably spending a relatively large amount of money on the ring, so a few more on the trip will make it a much better experience...

Best of luck with it,
    James.

P.S> I got down in BOTH knees for added sacrifice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭vac

Take her to butlins for the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Even a weekend in Ireland, but some where nice and memorable. Its like buying a house. Location, location, location. Up a mountain, in a beautiful garden, on a lake, you get the idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Me thinks Anna is dropping a hint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

just send her a PM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

who cares, paris is a great city and very romantic

i'd choose paris over rome any day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Originally posted by SoundWave
    just send her a PM.

ROFL!!!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by sjones
    ROFL!!!

sjones, try to make more of a comment if you need to post

roll on the floor laughing. that was hilarious.

how's that? ;)

how's that? ;)

thin ice

Back to the topic...
    I'd bring her to that french restaurant, order a bottle of her favourite wine. After a bottle and halfway through the meal i'd go down on one knee and ask her. Have a good speech lined up before you pop the question mind you. During the course of the meal, talk about your relationship and how you're happier than you ever have been. See if she feels the same. Then it's a home run from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭hedgetrimmer

http://www.gamespy.com/comics/dorktower/page.asp?id=11

A cartoonist (and one of the nicest guys I have met) had a novel way of doing it...above:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Walls

You people havn't got the first clue!!

Location, really, isn't important. Whether you two are in Rome or Paris or in the drawing room isn't going to be what she remembers, what she will recall is how you put the question. The point of the conversation is to convey your feelings and whatnot. Obviously you should be somewhere quiet and if possible away from others, but not alone.

What you need to do is to tell her, exactly and clearly, what it is about her that you love, all the quirks and history you've built up together. Then you tell her you just can't imagine spending the rest of your life with anyone else and that you think she's 'just super' or something like that. Then ask her to do you the honour of becoming your wife....

...and she'll be washing your shirts for years. ;)

Originally posted by Walls
    and she'll be washing your shirts for years. ;)

well six months anyway
    after that, he'll be shown how to do them himself

walls has a point though, it's all about what you say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

You people havn't got the first clue!!

Location, really, isn't important. Whether you two are in Rome or Paris or in the drawing room isn't going to be what she remembers, what she will recall is how you put the question. The point of the conversation is to convey your feelings and whatnot. Obviously you should be somewhere quiet and if possible away from others, but not alone.

What you need to do is to tell her, exactly and clearly, what it is about her that you love, all the quirks and history you've built up together. Then you tell her you just can't imagine spending the rest of your life with anyone else and that you think she's 'just super' or something like that. Then ask her to do you the honour of becoming your wife....

So you'll be doing it in the pub, or in front of the TV then...

Excellent.

You'll do just great... I have a whole 'stack' of washing up that needs a female's.... custom designed talents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

A singing Gorillagram.

Lacks romance but has the panache and 'pizazz'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by KdjaC
    im not bitter :D
    ps i did it in front of 70 mates on a holiday in Portugal on a beautiful beach at sunset.
    Ah, but were you sober? :)
    I'd bring her to that french restaurant, order a bottle of her favourite wine. After a bottle and halfway through the meal i'd go down on one knee and ask her.
    Just take it easy on the drink - theres nothing like a drunk saying "I lub u" to put a woman off.

Romantic music??? Violin(s)???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Say something nice, tell her how much you love her, etc lots of nice things said.

If you are goin to a hotel/B&B down the country while she's not around get some wine and strawberries ready, and put rose petals over the bed... use your imagination, make it purdy special. Make a nice evening of it.

Don't do it front of lots of people. Unless she likes that sort of thing it'll just make the special moment more awkward. It should be very special and personal.

Originally posted by Victor
    Romantic music??? Violin(s)???

The Freres Jacques has a piano going all night :D

no - I don't have shares in the place

Is that still going? Thought that had been closed years... (I'm thinking of the one on Pembroke Road.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭nuvolari

just don't do it drunk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭cujimmy

How to pop the question:

I understand that in ballymun et al it goes something like
    " your fu*kin wha":p :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

All this talk about proposing in french restaraunts etc wouldnt really seem quite so romantic if the girl i question is french;P

Personally I would recommend having a good hard look at what you know about your girlfriend. Try to find some setting that she really likes and propose there. Not every girl is the same, and many will have diferent opinions on what is romantic .. so I feel it would be better to tailor your proposal to her taste rather than a general concensus of what is romantic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Nothing says marry me but a great MS Paint picture. :)

tbh, find something she likes and do that. Think long and real hard about this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Location: in bed. Its yer only man. The wimmin love telling that one when there asked by their mates, or so they tell me.

Because we're 5 years going out tomorrow I'd really like to do something then but she's working.

She works in a boutique and I was kinda thinking maybe have flowers sent in to the shop with the question asked on the accompanying card ???

Like I said , she's working tomorrow (All Saturdays till 6pm) and I'd like to do it tomorrow so going away somewhere is ruled out.

It's doing my head in as I want to make it memorable and I want to get it right but don't have anyone to ask only you guys !!

• Advertisement

Do not propose via a florist's card. The only way to do this is face to face, it simply is too important.

There is no boss out there who would step in when a man is proposing to a woman and say "Excuse me, but you are supposed to be working".* Go to where she works and, in front of all her colleagues, ask her to marry you. She'll be delighted with the attention and you can bet the rest of them will be envious as hell. Do by florist's card and there will be no way she can say yes. Pride alone will demand she looks for a better version of that proposal.

*At least, I certainly hope not.

Go to where she works and, in front of all her colleagues, ask her to marry you.

Yeah I think thats what I'll do .

Cheers ya'll !!

Wish me luck .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Grimlock

Thats a good idea!
    But bring flowers (dozen roses never fail) and take off to an expensive restaurant tomorrow night.
    you only going to do this once (you hope! ;)) some make sure everything is perfect!

oh and....Good Luck!
    I hope you're both very happy!

Wear a suit.

Something in dark blue perhaps.

Originally posted by Typedef
    Wear a suit.

Something in dark blue perhaps.

real james bondie like :D

That's it.

Wear your birthday suit and call her Miss MoneyPenny, rose clenched swavely between the teeth.

You can't possibly loose.

Originally posted by Typedef
    You can't possibly loose

agreed! :D
    missh moneypenny, will you do me the honor of being Mrs. Bond?

Sure to swoon

Just make sure... you get a very... very large rose... so all the chicks her office will have floral envy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Buy a big barmbrack and stick the ring in it. Insist that she eats all of it. When she finds the ring, look her straight in the eye, hand her a handful of bluebells and dandelions and in your best d'unbelieveables accent, say "Biddy, wuja like to help Pajo and me bring in the harvest and to be buried with me payp'l?"

Job done .

• Advertisement
Advertisement