Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firewalls for pc with BB??

• 13-11-2003 1:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭

ok just got my UTV BB today and its working without a hitch so far anyway
    had it set up in around 10 min (to think eircom charge 100e for that:rolleyes: )

anyway i just want to know what percautoins i need to take like installing a firewall or some other software to protect my pc (getting a router tuesday so that will be a network i have to protect!!)

have adaware already and portmonster(needs to be upgraded though)

cheers:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭oakers

I use Zone Alarm 4 Pro and I've never had any issues with it!

IMO nice easy to use product generally!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

u should have.

1, Firewall - ZA pro is good and worth the money

2. AVG - ANTI VIRUS its free and good

3. TROJAN REMOVER

4. SPYBOT SEARCH AND DESTROY

5. ADAWARE VER 6 AND THE PAID FOR VERSION IS WORTH THE MONEY

6. POP UP STOPPER

and if u want to surf in real style get OPERA 7.21 and buy it. Loads of facilities for security.

With all of the above u will be almost impregnable.

BUT u must use them daily.

gb--

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

I have Tiny Personal Firewall and Nortan Anti Virus corporate edition on my home PC's behind a Zyxel Dsl router

Also have Spybot search and destroy for fighting those nasty spywere apps, which you seem to get a lot more on broadband

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You say you are getting a router - I know that some routers have firewalls but not if they all have - maybe some of the teccy people could comment on this? I have a dsl 504 routercwhich has a firewall built in afaik and I notice that since I got it I dont get any notification of attacks from my Norton firewall whereas I used to get fairly regular notifications.

zonealarm do a free firewall too if you wanted something pretty immediately while you consider your options. and if you have windows xp it has a limited firewall which you could turn on if you havent already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭hudson806

Originally posted by dub45
    You say you are getting a router - I know that some routers have firewalls but not if they all have - maybe some of the teccy people could comment on this?

Most DSL routers do NAT as standard, which is a protocol for sharing a single IP address with a number of users, but as a plus, it also acts as a (basic) firewall.

There should be no need to use another firewall behind a NAT connection, unless you're really paranoid. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

I'd still recommend a software firewall to be certain.

A good software firewall such as kerio is completely free for home use, and works great. I know there have been major problems with Zone Alarm in the recent past, so it's pretty dodgy as to whether it'd work or if it'd corrupt downloads on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭chill

Originally posted by dub45
    You say you are getting a router - I know that some routers have firewalls but not if they all have - maybe some of the teccy people could comment on this?
    Router firewalls concentrate on protecting your from outside PC interference, they do not protect you from stuff on your PC communicating outward...

You need a router firewall + a good internal firewall like ZoneAlarmPro + an antivirus program.

Advertisement