Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Off Line

Options
  • 13-11-2003 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

PLEASE DON'T CLOSE THIS :mad:

I AM ASKING A QUESTION AND I JUST WANT A REPLY.

IS IRELAND ON LINE YET?

I UNDERSTAND THAT IRELAND OFF LINE IS A NON PROFIT MAKING ORGANISATION.

IN RELATION TO MY LAST POST:-

Take into account Everything for the 2nd question in relation to Broadband, Dial Up, ISDN. I mean what should we be paying?

Muck You have quoted me incorrectly. I was quoting someone else when I said,
    So how do they go about making money (Thats what they do in business) and also make their residental customers happy?

And I was talking about ISP's lack of Profit.

Please don't be so sarcastic when someone asks a question. :mad:

IF IT IS NOT AFFORDABLE FOR A COMPANY AN ISP TO MAKE MONEY HOW DO THEY PROVIDE A PROPER SERVICE?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Your question's been answered several times, no Ireland is not online yet.

There are several posts on the forum about various costings for ISPs (made by Martin-UTVi IIRC) for a braodband and a dial up (FRIACO) model. I suggest you read them, and then come back with specific questions about them...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

(Be civil, thanks. seamus)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Elmo, ISPs make money by selling products. Most of them don't make their residential customers happy, but because most people are ignorant to the internet, just accept it as normal.

As it says on the IrelandOffline website, the objectives are

* Universal flat rate (unmetered) access to the internet for all users.
    * Complete Local Loop Unbundling (LLU) by Eircom.
    * Universal access to broadband services for all users.

Seeing as IrelandOffline is still here, obviously they haven't been acheived yet.

What we should be paying is a figure that varies from person to person. Check the facts and decide for yourself.

I have no idea where you got that it's not affordable for an ISP to run an internet service. It is.

Please educate yourself, and then come back and ask specific questions.

Where I got the impression that it was unaffordable for an ISP to make money was from one of the posters in the last thread that you closed.

Thank you. Your explaination of Ireland Off Line was all I want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

Elmo,

This fourm is a place for the members of IrelandOffline to debate and discuss issues relating to Ireland's Internet access availability deficit. It is not the official mouth piece of the Ireland Offline organisation. Ireland Offline's official website is as I realise you are aware at www.irelandoffline.org. There you will also find email addresses to directly contact the committee and chairman, my phone number is also there (and here -087-2643299) if you would like to speak with me directly on specific issues.

The name Ireland Offline is referring to our belief that comparable to other countries Ireland does not offer suitable connectivity to the Internet for the whole population. Whereas we are witnessing an improvment in some urban areas, regional and in many cases not so rural areas are still a long way off getting affordable reasonably fast Internet access in a time when such connectivity is technically possible.

So to sum up, Ireland is still "offline" in the eyes of the eyes of the organsisation IrelandOffline, we've made improvements and will continue to highlight the issues and do our best to move things forward with continued interaction with the Irish local and national government, ComReg, and commercial operators.

David Long
    PRO IrelandOffline

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭bminish

1. Are We On Line Yet?
    Absolutely not
    2. How much should it cost to go on line with out limits?
    On line in what fashion? you can now have almost flat rate Dial up for a fixed fee but this maxes out at around 180 Hours a month.

Many people including town users have 'line concentrators' fitted, these reduce maximum connect speed to around 33 Kbs. Rural dwellers can have an even worse time, some people around here are lucky to get connected at 12Kbs
    Some people can have ADSL if they are in an ADSL area and their line passes the test but the monthly cap on this can be a low as 3Gb
    Some people can have cable access but only in limited areas, Cable caps can be as high as 1Gb per day
    2 way satellite always on is available almost everywhere, it's expensive, it often has fairly Draconian fair access policy (caps) and the best ping times you will see will be around 700 msec
    Fixed Wireless Internet access is available in some areas (mainly Dublin at the moment) and represents a good option for many consumers
    FWA is available in some rural areas too but in some cases has Satellite backhaul (latency is an issue)

As far as current prices and options go, the sticky threads on this forum will help answer your questions
    3. Can you make a profit by being a service provider?

That depends on if you can get affordable wholesale connectivity from a choice of suppliers (Dublin) or if you are forced to buy your wholesale connectivity from Eircom who are the sole wholesale supplier in many areas and have worked diligently to keep it this way...

How about having a look over some of the many past threads in this forum to see if any of your questions have been answered before?

.Brendan

Seamus I am civil when other people are civil, I have not found this on this Part of boards. I only become uncivil when other people are uncivil. please do not patronise me.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

If ever someone was t.......................... :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Folks - Elmo did ask a genuine question and only wanted a reply - this has now been provided

Elmo - you must remember that some people in here (myself included ) are hugely impacted by the lack of broadband - for me it's business related , but other people have their reasons.

EITHER way - this is a friendly forum - and apart form the odd bun fight (which is always good - in particular when Muck spots a bit of good pimping ) it's a common cause.

No more than myself at 10.26pm, I think this should be put to bed now mods?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by crawler
    No more than myself at 10.26pm, I think this should be put to bed now mods?
    It has :) Being put to bed doesn't necessarily mean lockage.

I locked the other thread because genuinely I expected flames and trolls, because of how myself and Muck perceived Elmo's last post in that thread - no doubt most others would see the same thing.

Feel free to discuss in this thread. The "Where has IOFFL been, and where is it going?" thread is nice and topical, and seasonal too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

:)

Is "lockage" a real word??

Y'ok - fair point.

I hear Santa a sleigh bells in the distance......

Advertisement