Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amber Card !!

• 13-11-2003 1:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭

Live on Sky Sports the other night suggested an Amber Card. In the event that a player brings down an opposing player in the box and a penalty is awarded, he would be awarded an Amber Card, If the penalty is scored its reduced to a yellow so as not to double fault the team. If on the other hand the penalty is missed the player goes off.

Sounds like a fair system to me.

Any comments ??

Tinky

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Could be abused. If it's early in the game and it's a big player (say Viera for the Arse, Keane for Man U, or a goalkeeper, for example) - it might be in the opposing teams interest to miss the penalty and get him sent off and take their chances against 10 men for the remaining time left.

Then, what happens with suspensions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Originally posted by Doctor J
    Could be abused. If it's early in the game and it's a big player (say Viera for the Arse, Keane for Man U, or a goalkeeper, for example) - it might be in the opposing teams interest to miss the penalty and get him sent off and take their chances against 10 men for the remaining time left.

Then, what happens with suspensions?

I thought at first it was a kinda good idea until you suggested that!!

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Nice work Doctor J. But I'd say there is both advantages and disadvantages to this. But I think it is a good idea. If the team misses the penalty and the player gets a red card then well and good. In this day in age the player would have the penalty given and the player sent off (whether the penalty is missed or not).

But I have another question about this card. If the penalty is given and an amber card is shown. What happens when the penalty goes in? Will the player who committed the foul be booked or will he not have a card at all?

Ahhhh, here's a good 'un. :)

Say a team is 4-0 down against 8 men (unlikely, yes, but work with me here) with only a few minutes left and a penalty is awarded and an amber card is shown. It would be in the interest of the losing team to miss the penalty (they're not going to win) and get the player sent off and, therefore, the game abandoned. You can't have 7 men on a team, so it says in the rules? Or am I just having a flashback?

I just thought of another question.

What happens if the defender commits the foul, then the striker takes the peno but hits the bar or the goalkeeper blocks it and the ball rebounds only to be cleared away by the defender that committed the foul!?!?
    Surely if the peno is missed, the defender shouldn't be on the pitch to clear the ball!!! Just a thought!!

B.

• Advertisement

What if the Amber cardee is the goalkeeper?

Save this and you're sent off?

Originally posted by tinky

Any comments ??

Tinky

You betcha!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

the idea is good but theres too many dis-advantages when compared with the advantages!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

good idea, in that its fair but then again so is video technology.
    although it would be fair to bring both of them in, i wouldnt like to see it.

soccer is great in that legal goals are disallowed and red cards are totally wrong, not too many if any sports have the same drama.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

It would defo be abused :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

what happens if the player goes in two footed to give away the penalty shouldnt he be sent off anyway ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Instead of all this amber card crap, why don't they change the rules so that a player doesn't have to be given a red card if he is the last man back when fouling. Think about it, Liverpool would have more then likely been given a penalty against United but the ref probably thought it would be harsh to send Rio off. Also, when Andy O'Brien fouled Giggs on the edge of the box the ref said play on because he didn't want to send O'Brien off.

Change the rules like this and it would be better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

Yellow cards are pretty pointless really.
    They should really start sin binning players.
    I think this would be a whole lot more effective.
    Yellow card offense and you're off the field for 10 minutes.
    Second yellow and you're off for good.
    The amber thing seems too open to abuse.

Killian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Yeh, this sounds really stupid.

I agree that the rules for awarding cards in a penalty situation seem to be a little confused at the moment. They could probably be looked at.

On a related topic, Ive always thought there should be a Penalty Goal in certain situations. For example, if a shot is goal bound and a defender saves it with his hands, a penalty is awarded and hes sent off (probably). I always thought that If the resulting penalty is missed, its a bit unfair on the team that didnt score, after all it would have been a goal except the game mechanics were unfairly changed. Imagine if your 1-0 down in the 3rd minute of extra time in a cup final and that happens? No use having a player sent off in that situation.

(before people say this is unlikely, i seem to remember it happening - Didnt Kanchelskis handle the ball on the line to stop a goal for United? i THINK It was against everton. Im sure the uni'eh fans will correct me if im wrong :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

What if they miss the Penalty but score the rebound?

There's a chance for too many mistakes in that system better left alone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 201 ✭✭Rodney Trotter

(before people say this is unlikely, i seem to remember it happening - Didnt Kanchelskis handle the ball on the line to stop a goal for United? i THINK It was against everton. Im sure the uni'eh fans will correct me if im wrong )

It was in the final of the 1994 League Cup (or whatever it was called at the time) v Aston Villa. Villa were 2-1 up and scored the peno to win the game 3-1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Oswald Osbourne

How about making the player who commited the foul take the peno FOR the opposing team? That way if he scores against his own keeper then he stays on. If he misses then he's sent off! He caused the situation so let him resolve it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

oswald, that is the stupidest idea I've ever heard. The Amber card rule seems good, but too many disadvantages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by Oswald Osbourne
    How about making the player who commited the foul take the peno FOR the opposing team? That way if he scores against his own keeper then he stays on. If he misses then he's sent off! He caused the situation so let him resolve it.
    LOL. Since its his keeper surely they will sort something out as to what is best for the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Oswald Osbourne

Originally posted by Demeant0r
    oswald, that is the stupidest idea I've ever heard. The Amber card rule seems good, but too many disadvantages.

Thank you! It was meant to be. I think the whole amber card suggestion is ridiculous to begin with so I just took it to it's natural conclusion.

My own true feeling is that if a foul is committed and a penalty is given then the defender should recieve punishment cooresponding to the severity of the tackle - as would happen anywhere else on the pitch.

On top of that the concession of a penalty (and more often than not a goal) is punishment enough for the defending team. If the attacking team subsequently misses the peno then that is their own fault and they shouldn't be compensated as a result of their own inability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I guess I've started a right old riot !

The arguments put forward here pretty much encompass those of the panel on the night of the program.

Can anyone suggest a suitable alternative ?
    How about a sinbin similar to rugby or a penalty goal also as in rugby ?

Back to you guys !!

Tinky

Absolutely, the sin bin is the way forward. If one player puts in a bad tackle and creases a player on the other team, causing an injury where the player must be substiuted and the offending player merely gets a yellow card... what use is that? The team fouled don't receive any advantage and the offending player might be suspenede for a forthcoming game against ________(shyte club here).

The team fouled against should receive the advantage and the sin bin seems to be the most straightforward way to do it.

Advertisement