Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSPaint gone!

Options
  • 13-11-2003 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭

someone in my house (probably me tbh) has deleted MSPaint off the PC,
    anyone know if there's anywhere I can download it again or if there's a shareware/freeware paint programme available that will let me edit and crop .jpg files? (for posting screenshots and the like)

I can't find the Windows disk, I think my dad has shoved it away in the attic somewhere.

Ta

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Originally posted by bedlam
    Don't know where to get MS Paint, but you could give the windows port of Gimp a try.
    that looks like the thing bedlam, thanks for that, will download and try it when I get home later

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

are you sure the file itself is gone?

what version of windows do you have?

dep. on the version, the file should be called 'mspaint.exe' and in the 'c:\windows\system32' folder.

to find out if it's really gone, go to start, run and in the box, type in 'mspaint' (without quotes) and click OK.

if it's not still where it should be it won't run. if it does then it's just the shortcut that was deleted.

dep. on the version of windows you have, you should find it stored on the system anyway.

most installations of win95 and 98 have cab files with all the important windows files in them. do a search for *.cab and if they are there (usually in c:\windows\options\cabs) you'll have a bunch of files named Win98_xx where 'xx' is a 2 digit number somewhere between 1 and 60 odd (if memory serves) if you have these files you won't need the windows CD, but they have to be added manually after installing windows, so dep. on who installed it for you, they might be there or not. ME installs these files automatically, and 2K and XP stores them (not as cab files though) in the i386 directory so assumming you have the files you can just (usually) go to add/remove programs in the control panel and in accessories remove the tick next to ms paint, apply the change and then retick it, which will copy the files back over.

should work, but lemme know what version of windows you have and I might be able to find the right file for you and email it to you, as it's only slightly over 300kb in win2k, and probably less in older versions of windows.

edit: just tested a 2k machine here and it automatically puts the file back if you delete it, so I'm assuming you have 95/98 or ME. have a look for the CAB files and if you have them, make a note of where they are and try removing and re-ading mspaint in add/remove progs, and use the path for the cab files if windows asks you for the CD.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Originally posted by vibe666
    what version of windows do you have?

PC is a Dell PII 400, running Win 98

dep. on the version, the file should be called 'mspaint.exe' and in the 'c:\windows\system32' folder.

have checked that folder, and no mspaint.* at all

to find out if it's really gone, go to start, run and in the box, type in 'mspaint' (without quotes) and click OK.

tried and didn't work :(

most installations of win95 and 98 have cab files with all the important windows files in them. do a search for *.cab and if they are there (usually in c:\windows\options\cabs) you'll have a bunch of files named Win98_xx where 'xx' is a 2 digit number somewhere between 1 and 60 odd (if memory serves) if you have these files you won't need the windows CD, but they have to be added manually after installing windows, so dep. on who installed it for you, they might be there or not. ME installs these files automatically, and 2K and XP stores them (not as cab files though) in the i386 directory so assumming you have the files you can just (usually) go to add/remove programs in the control panel and in accessories remove the tick next to ms paint, apply the change and then retick it, which will copy the files back over.

I had a little look around the add/remove programmes and didn't see accessories or tickable mspaint box either, but will look again when I get home

should work, but lemme know what version of windows you have and I might be able to find the right file for you and email it to you, as it's only slightly over 300kb in win2k, and probably less in older versions of windows.

That would be great if you could

edit: just tested a 2k machine here and it automatically puts the file back if you delete it, so I'm assuming you have 95/98 or ME. have a look for the CAB files and if you have them, make a note of where they are and try removing and re-ading mspaint in add/remove progs, and use the path for the cab files if windows asks you for the CD.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I have an installation of win98se at home which has paint installed, so I'll mail it to you when I get home. PM me your email address and I'll send it on to you (should be about 6'ish).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

go into add remove programs and look under accessories - that is where paint should be.. - if it looks for the cd browse to - on a dell it will be c:\windows\options\cabs unless it was reinstalled or deleted..

you could copy it from \program files\accessories on another win9x PC.

• Advertisement
Advertisement