Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

120gb disks

• 13-11-2003 4:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭

just wondering if there is a quick way of checking if 120gb HDD is compatible with a pc without actually putting the disk in

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

ask the vendor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

okies just some things for ya to know.

Hard drives run at speeds of 33/66/100/133/150, they connect using an ide connection, unless you're using scsi. Roughly how old is your mainboard? That's the big question here, if it's fairly old you'll have to check the manual to see what size drives it supports. For example, I had some old MVP4M epox mainboards the board offically didn't except drives larger than 10gigs. A bit of mainboard flashing (flashing = upgrading the mainboards bios) it would take drives that were 20 gigs. Never bothered with anything larger after that, didn't need to :) Google your mainboard model or check your manual. If it's 3-5 years old you should be pretty safe, still check your manual though. Hope i've helped,
    Rob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

It really depends on whether the board makers bothered updating the bios. Popular makes like asus and abit update the bios' for even their older models to support large drives. So its luck of the draw really.
    I have a tekram board here, it won't see my 80gb drive. If I set the channel to none in the bios, the machine boots and the OS ( win2k and freebsd ) see it since they access the disk directly, bypassing the bios. But since the bios can't see it I can't boot directly from it.

Advertisement