Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grants means test unfair

Options
  • 13-11-2003 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

Was talking to a friend of mine the other day about serious inequalities in the means test for 3rd level grants.

Is it so that if you are over 18 and under 23 and living away from home on a full time basis ie 24/7 365/365 and not getting a cent from your parents, they take into account your parents income?

I understand that parents have no obligation in law to support their childaren past the age of 18. If that is so then why does the means test take in into account the income of parents who are not living with or supporting their children.

I wonder why no one has brought a consitutional challenge to this policy in the courts? It would be an interesting case.

Would like to hear your view or experiences of the above.

James

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Try being over 23, doing a research postgraduate for three/four years on 10K a year, living away from home and STILL being tested on your parents income.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Originally posted by syke
    Try being over 23, doing a research postgraduate for three/four years on 10K a year, living away from home and STILL being tested on your parents income.

Surely that is unconsitutional, and wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Unless I'm hugely mistaken, if you're over 23 and living away from home you are not assessed on your parents income

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭honeymonster

They do take into account if you are not receiving money off your parents. They only thing is that you have to prove it. And thats meant to be a bollox to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by Johnnymcg
    Unless I'm hugely mistaken, if you're over 23 and living away from home you are not assessed on your parents income

If you are a postgraduate who goes straight from bachelors to higher degree you still are, unless this has changed in the last 2-3 years

• Advertisement
Advertisement