Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDD Upgrade for old-ish Compaq laptop?

• 13-11-2003 4:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭

G'day all,

I'm a bit green about these things, so hope someone out there can help! I have an old Compaq Presario 1255 laptop (specs at <www.epinions.com/cmhd-Not...ll_specs>) with a 128Mb RAM upgrade, so still runs reasonably well (for an AMD 333Mhz processor!), but I need more hard drive space - I store a lot of digital images on it, and the original 3.2Gb drive is forever filling up. A few people have told me I'm mad to upgrade it (my poor old Presario doesn't even have an USB port!) and that I'd be better off buying an external CDRW - but that would mean lugging the thing around/connecting it every time. Would it not be possible to buy a cheap-ish replacement hard drive, something in the 10~20Gb range would be fine...(?)

Any recommendations? I've come across this on the web: http://www.impactcomputers.com/331415-410.html — but with shipping to Ireland it comes in at about $150. I've also e-mailed Komplett.ie, jaguarcompsys.ie and microaid.ie, but no replies yet...

Thanks in advance,
    peckerhead

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

cant you just buy a regular laptop 2.5in HD and clone the old one or is ther a reason that its specific to the compaq? e.g compaq boot partition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭peckerhead

So I've been discovering, SoundWave... Prices (new) from around €109 + VAT (Jaguarsys.ie) or US$150 incl shipping. But I'm now tracking a few on Ebay. They seem to be going for STG40/US$50... the kind of money I was thinking of

Is fitting these things complicated? What's 'cloning'? Should I be asking someone a bit more sussed out than me to do the job...? (Probably, says you!)

Cheers,
    peckerhead

Advertisement