Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Motorola MPx200 and GPRS settings

• 13-11-2003 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

Anyone when I can get my hands on a Motorola MPx200 mobile in Ireland?

They look like a kick ass phone.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

haven't heard anything (positive) about any of the networks here about releasing a Microsoft Smartphone... it is a nice device though had a quick go on the MPx200 last month - although there has been some talk this week of some issues with the security implementations (i.e. distinct lack of!) on the MPx200 (compared to some other MS Smartphones on the market)

... there was some news recently from O2 Asia who announced they would to supply a HTC developed MS Smartphone into the Asia/Pacific region (where they supply the XDA and XDA II). it's going to be branded the O2 XPhone - but bear in mind this is a seperate business to mmO2's European operator businesses...

i'm not a clam shell fan though so i prefer the HTC designed candy bar models that the likes of Orange, QTek and i-Mate brand and sell - been using a HTC developed MS Smartphone for a while and i've found the operating system and hardware pretty good, a few oddities but on the whole after installing a few third party apps it makes for a very useful and powerful device - some details here if yer interested

BrianG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

I got one of these orange SPV's and unlocked it to the vodafone network, it really is a class piece of kit, I'm not goin' to bore you with the details but you can play video clips, use SD memory cards, it's an mp3 player, you can use Wav files as your ringtones etc.. etc.. ad infinitum. The motorola can do all this as well and I agreee it does look very nice !! :cool:

However I do have one gripe, I haven't managed to get it on to vodafones wap or gprs network, I have all the relevant settings etc (and GPRS is turned on) but setting up new connections on this thing is quite tricky, so I would be interested in hearing from anyone out there who may use MS smartphone software or maybe even pocket PC and who uses the gprs/wap facility of their mobile provider.

I could probably do with putting this on to a new thread.
    Cheers

setting up WAP is odd alright (and very different to the Pocket PC) - i just stuck to the full internet access point for mail, web and available wap sites

are you RTG or Bill bay?

and which SPV are you using the original or the (more recent) E100?

BrianG

It was an RTG sim I got in a sharp GX10i a couple of months ago (bought from a vodafone shop), but I ended up hating that phone. Now I know there seems to be a bit of an issue regarding GPRS access on RTG but I figured that seen as how I had the vodafone live thing work on the Sharp, that meant that the GPRS account was active.

Even if I could get basic net access on it it would be fine, I would only be using it to place bets on paddypowers wap site, obviously the need to download anything to this phone directly is irrelevant, due to the excellent way you can access it via PC sync'ing etc...

It's the original 'canary' model, I think the latest E100 is called the 'tanager'.

Your post has filled me with a bit of optimism :) do you think you may be able to help me set-up some kind of net access ? I don't think it's the data I have for vodafones various wap/gprs settings it's just that the config menu consists of 4 different 'connection' options, i.e. Dial-up connection, VPN connection, proxy connection and finally GPRS connection.
    I'm pretty sure it's some sort of combination of these that I need to organise.

Cheers

PS: should I maybe start a new thread ? I'm not a regular browser of this particular board, so I don't know the level of experience in here with MS Smartphone etc.. I wouldn't imagine it to be a lot since I don't believe there are any smartphones supported by the networks ?

Cheers again !

you can set up Voda RTG WAP access (when enabled on the Live! access point) on an MS Smartphone 2002 by entering:

Programs
    Settings
    Data Connections
    Manu > Edit Connections

Proxy Connections
    Menu > Add
    Description: Voda WAP Proxy
    Connects from: The Internet
    Connects to: WAP Network
    Proxy (name : port): 10.24.59.100
    Type: WAP
    User name: (leave blank)
    Password: (leave blank)

Done
    Done

GPRS Connections
    Menu > Add
    Description: Voda WAP
    Connects to: The Internet
    Acess point: live.vodafone.com
    User name: dublin
    Password: dublin
    Primary DNS: (leave blank)
    Secondary DNS: (leave blank)
    IP Address: (leave blank)

Done
    Done

now on the Data Connections screen set:

Internet Connection: Automatic
    WAP Connection: Voda WAP

Done
    Done

now open Internet Exporer

Menu> Options > Connections

Uncheck: Auto Detect Settings
    Select Network: WAP Network

Done
    Done

to check it's working for you try entering (note no [url]http://[/url] - just the domain name on it's own)

entertainment.ie/wap

you can also try live.vodafone.com - the layout is a little oversized for the handset - but strangely enough it works - interesting... as previously they had very strict handset/browser sniffing in operation

you might find it easier to just built up a list of wap favourites in IE yourself...

it is possible to use the Voda dial-up ISP but you get a max 9.6k connection - might be handy if you want to check email though... but requires a bit more fiddling around with connection settings

just out of curiosity, was the Sharp GX recommended / highlighted to you by Vodafone more that other handsets that were available, i'm coming across more and more people who were pushed towards buying a Sharp GX handset rather than another handset that may well have suited them better...

BrianG

• Advertisement

Thanks for these settings Brian, I will let you know how it goes.

as regards the Sharp, no I wasn't pushed towards it by them, I just saw the phone and 'liked the cut of it's jib' :D
    But then I actually got one :mad: What an utter piece of S**t
    Way too fiddly and crap navigtion structure, I could just picture little kids in the playground messaging each other on it.
    The whole thing of having a camera phone wasn't a factor either, which was just as well as the cameras results where nothing more than laughable, who has the need for a picture the size of a postage stamp ??

BTW, I actually got a camera attachment included with the new phone and wow ! It actually takes pictures of resolution 480x640 and they are of very good quality for a phone if not for a cheap digital camera.

The new E200 will be released on Orange very soon and I'm thinking of upgrading (MS smartphone 2003), there's a place on the net that has a deal of getting the new E200 on an Orange contract of stg£30 per month, and all you have to do is stay with them for 4 months ! i.e. you pay stg£120 for a top class phone then unlock it, ét voila.

UPDATE:
    Brian, you are an absolute star :D it's working perfectly !
    Presumably I'll be able to set my mail up by myself, but don't worry if I have any problems you'll be the very first I'll come running to :D:D

Thanks a million.

Gav.

for dial-up you need to first config the type of CSD (Circuit Switched Data) to use:

Programs
    Accessories
    CSDType

Data Rate: 9600 bps(v.110)
    Connection element: Non-transparent

OK
    Home

then into Data Connections again

Programs
    Settings
    Data Connections
    Menu > Edit Connections

Dial-up Connections
    Menu > Add
    Description: Voda Dial-Up
    Counrty code: +353
    Area Code: 87
    Phone number: 6202222
    User name: vodafone
    Password: vodafone
    Domain: (leave blank)

Done
    Done

now on the Data Connections screen set:

Internet Connection*: Voda Dial-Up
    WAP Connection: Voda WAP

(* rememebr to switch back to pass through to use the PC's Net connection when using ActiveSync)

now you can set up your pop/imap email account and it will use the dial-up connection (note: depending on the mail server you are using you may have to use mail.vodafone.ie as the outgoing SMTP mail server)

i like to use Sunnysoft MailCenter for multi emial accounts:
    http://www.sunnysoft.cz/en_clanek.php?clanekid=136

also their World Off-Line for smartphones is super:
    http://www.sunnysoft.cz/en_clanek.php?clanekid=133

a custom AvantGo like app for the Smartphone where you download mobile content (best with the pass through connection via Active Sync to use your PC's net connection) to read later and save on mobile data connection charges - you may find some useful mobile friendly sites well suited for using with this app at:
    http://pdaportal.us

if you want to use the dial-up connection for Internet Explorer brosing (v. slow) then you need to change the IE configs:

Internet Explorer > Menu> Options > Connections

Uncheck: Auto Detect Settings
    Select Network: The Internet

Done
    Done

you can set to Auto Detect Settings, but for your cisrucmtances it's a nightmare of how IE tries to be "smart" and determine what type of content (WAP/non-WAP) is being requested from the URL - best to just manually set it in your case (wap only GPRS) / stick to the most cost effective option for you

hth,
    BrianG

• Registered Users Posts: 14 not1ie

Any chance you can work out the settinsg for O2 Speakeasy Motorola I own a Motorola MPX200. O2 won't help with any settings, they keep just saying that it isn't supported on their network.

Dial Up Settings
    Connects to:
    Country Code:
    Area Code:
    Phone number:
    User Name:
    Password:
    Domain:

Proxy Settings
    Connects From:
    Connects To:
    Proxy ( name : port ) :
    Type:
    User Name:
    Password:

GPRS Settings Internet
    Connects to:
    Access Point:
    User Name:
    Password:
    Primary DNS:
    Secondary DNS:
    IP Address:

GPRS Settings MMS
    Connects to:
    Access Point:
    User Name:
    Password:
    Primary DNS:
    Secondary DNS:
    IP Address:
    MPX200. Find below the info required:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

Hi not1ie

Try this link. They send the settings for the MPX on O2 straight to your phone!

https://secure.mouse2mobile.com/clients/hellomoto/default.asp

• Advertisement

Thanks, just waiting on the settings to arrive.
    Everything was there apart from MMS.
    I'll post later to confirm if it works.

Good to hear it.
    Surprised that the MMS settings are not there?
    Although, they should be fairly straightforward to put in if you use the settings in the sticky thread at the top of this Mobiles/PDAs forum

The text messages from the site are received but they aren't working even using the right passwords. Did work at first I think.
    Does anyone know where you can get the original factory software as mine seems to be corrupted for some reason?
    I saved a game on it and it keeps crashing and now acting funny. Maybe the game changed some settings.

hi, if you haven't done so already (as outlined in this sticky) you may have to contact O2 Internet Support on 1740 to ensure you are set-up (provisioned) for pre-pay Internet and MMS GPRS services - you should mention you require Internet (on pp.internet access point) and MMS enabled for your account

then try this to set up the Internet/ISP account

(From Home screen)
    Programs
    Settings
    Data Connections
    Menu > Edit Connections

GPRS Connections
    Menu > Add

Description: O2 PP ISP
    Access point: pp.internet
    User name: gprs
    Password: gprs
    Primary DNS: 62.40.32.33 (leaving blank may also work)
    Secondary DNS: 62.40.32.34 (leaving blank may also work)

Press Done

On the Data Connections screen set:
    Internet Connection: Automatic (or set 'O2 PP ISP' if you want to set this as default, but remember to switch back to Pass through connection for connecting via ActiveSync)

Press Done

MMS involves setting up another GPRS account and enter specific details in the MMS setup configuration

try this to set up the MMS connection

(From Home screen)
    Programs
    More...
    Settings
    Data Connections
    Menu > Edit Connections

GPRS Connections

You should see one called MMS connection
    - If so, select MMS connection
    - If not, Menu > Add, Description: 'O2 PP MMS'

Access point: pp.wap.o2.ie
    User name: gprs
    Password: gprs
    Primary DNS: (leave blank)
    Secondary DNS: (leave blank)

Press Done

Go back to Home Screen

Now try this for the MMS configurations

Programs
    More...
    Accessories
    MMS Setup

The top field allows you to select a connection, here you need to choose the connection you created above. So select 'MMS connection' if you used it, or 'O2 PP MMS' if you created a new one...

IP: 192.168.90.74
    Port: 9201
    MMS Address: http://mmsc.mms.o2.ie:8002/
    Message Expiry: Max (or as you require)
    MMS Download: Auto (or as you require)
    Other settings default (or as you require)

OK

Good Luck!

Thanks for the help. I'll try that later when I get a chance.
    Any idea where I can get the original software as mine seems to be unstable and that seems to be causing most of the problems.

Is there any way to re-install the Smartphone 2002 from the companion CD?
    I think my software may be corrupted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

A clean install is stored on the phone. You can do a hard reset to reinstall the operating system. Note that this will delete any applications that you have installed on the phone and remove any settings you have changed (essentially, it will restore it to its factory default settings).

To reset the phone, turn it off, then turn it on while holding the blue action button. You'll be asked if you want to do a hard reset. Pick yes. It will take up to 5 minutes to perform the reset. Make sure you have a full charge on the phone before you do it.

When you sync the phone, you will have to create a new active sync profile (you'll be prompted as soon as you plug in the USB cable).

Just out of curiousity, why do you think its corrupted?

- Dave.

The reason why I think it is corrupt is that my brother borrowed it for going to the states and it had Smartphone 2003 on it when I got it back. I reinstalled Smartphone 2002 and all the settings that worked before didn't now do the same things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 chuckinver

I am glad I'm not the only one - I downloaded smartphone 2003 from the net - because I was told the battery lasts longer and it does. But it now only works as a phone with SMS. No internet or mms.

Motorola and carphone warehouse can't send me any setting as they fail to arrive.

I will have to accept the fact that I will have to reload 2002 - unless anyone has any ideas.

Chuckinver

I have 2 generic Smartphone 2002 (English and German) and two versions of 2003(dual and tri-band). Neither work efficiently, the old settings did work. Then my brother borrowed it thinking he was doing me a favour and it hasn't been the same since. I have been told by Motorola that I can return it under warranty for a software reinstall but I doubt they will do it for free when they find out it was reflashed already.

• Advertisement

I just got my phone back from Motorola warranty repair. It has the original operating system working again, Smartplone 2002. It is all working nicely.
    The only problem is that I can't send text messages to America, they are sent in code and numbers instead of letters.
    Anyone know how to fix the problem? I can send texts using the same sim card and other Motorola and Nokia phones but not my MPX200.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dandunne

Hey There,

Just wondering if anybody has got the correct settings for O2 prepay internet/email/gprs for MPX200. I have settings that i got from the hellomoto.com site but I just keep getting error messages.

has anyone succeded in getting the internet to work?

Regards,
    Dandunne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Akula

Anybody got any experiences with these? Can get for €195 sim free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Do a search. I started a thread about the MPx200 about 2 years ago. (I had one and liked it, but battery life was terrible)

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭poops66

Did anybody get gprs set up on mpx200 and get it working? :mad:

What network are you on?

poops66 wrote:
    Did anybody get gprs set up on mpx200 and get it working? :mad:

yeah, a couple of people have, check this sticky for some info you could provide to try and get you up and running...
    HELLO THERE... About to ask how to get connected for Web/WAP/Email/MMS/Bluetooth etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭poops66

wolfman wrote:
    What network are you on?
    Meteor and Vodafone

yeah, got my Microsoft Smartphone working fine on those networks, and helped several others do the same (although they made sure they were set-up with their operator for the relevant services and provided the basic info asked for in this sticky ;))...

have a read of this threads outlining how to configure the MPx200 for WAP/MMS/Internet and slot in the relevant Operating Settings settings from the sticky

if you are still stuck, making sure your account is enabled for the various GPRS services that are available to you...

are you pre-pay or post-pay for each operator you mention, which operator do you want to use it with primarily?

also is this a SIM free handset or is is operator branded?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭mob

i've got a motorola MPx200 smartphone and i'm trying to get my internet to work but it won't connect. i've put in all the settings in the sticky post above and it still won't work. can anyone help. i'm on meteor if that helps???????????

Advertisement