Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Customs charges from the USA

Options
  • 13-11-2003 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭

My brother in the U.S bought an ipod (Music player) for $400 and after using for 2 months, he decided he wasn't using it enough, so he said he would send it to me instead. He posted by USPS (an post equivalent) with insurance of $400 and marked it as a gift.

I got a postcard asking for import duty/VAT of €93.08 this morning. Is there any point arguing that it is a gift or should I just cough up the money? If I had known there would be customs, I would just have asked him to bring it with him next time he comes to Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

dont think there is any point argueing as i think there is a gift limit of €200 or somthing.i could be wrong on this but there was a post on this explaining everything a few months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Originally posted by daveyjoe
    My brother in the U.S bought an ipod (Music player) for $400 and after using for 2 months, he decided he wasn't using it enough, so he said he would send it to me instead. He posted by USPS (an post equivalent) with insurance of $400 and marked it as a gift.

I got a postcard asking for import duty/VAT of €93.08 this morning. Is there any point arguing that it is a gift or should I just cough up the money? If I had known there would be customs, I would just have asked him to bring it with him next time he comes to Ireland.

Who sent you the postcard demanding the money? An Post or Customs and Excise?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

GLS (General Logistics Systems) sent me the postcard

www.gls-ireland.com

Originally posted by irishguy
    dont think there is any point argueing as i think there is a gift limit of €200 or somthing.i could be wrong on this but there was a post on this explaining everything a few months ago.

I had a quick search and I couldn't find the post any chance you have a link to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

sorry cant remember where i saw it , just ask on post they might be able to tell you

• Advertisement

Argue the toss with them and say that it was:

A: a gift
    B: worth €200
    C: insured for €400 because that is the cost of a new replacement.

Did the package have a customs officers signature on it?

Originally posted by Bond-James Bond
    Argue the toss with them and say that it was:

A: a gift
    B: worth €200
    C: insured for €400 because that is the cost of a new replacement.

Did the package have a customs officers signature on it?

Who would I argue the case with? Customs? GLS? I can't see if there is a custom officers signature on it because I can't get the package until I pay custom charges.
    By the way I can't get through to GLS on the number that is on the postcard they sent, I have been getting an answering machine for the last two days.

Originally posted by daveyjoe
    Who would I argue the case with? Customs? GLS? I can't see if there is a custom officers signature on it because I can't get the package until I pay custom charges.
    By the way I can't get through to GLS on the number that is on the postcard they sent, I have been getting an answering machine for the last two days.

I see.
    They used to deliver the packages and maybe chase up the money later. You could argue with GLS, but you would usually have to appeal to customs.

If you dont pay I think they will just return it to the sender. Have him bring with him next time he comes or send it again and value it at €100.

From http://www.revenue.ie/faqs/custbref.htm
    "Gifts

Customs duty and VAT is not payable on consignments of a value not exceeding €45 which are sent as gifts by private individuals from third countries for the personal or family use of private individuals in the State. However, relief from VAT does not apply in the case of tobacco products, alcohol/alcoholic beverages perfumes or toilet waters and the limits set out in Public Notice No. 1179 relating to relief from customs duty on such goods must be observed. Furthermore, where after excluding the value of the goods (other than tobacco products) which qualified for the relief (€45), the total value of the remainder of the dutiable goods in a gift consignment does not exceed €349.18, customs duty will be charged on the balance at the standard rate of 3.5%. The importer may, however, opt to have the goods charged at the relevant tariff rate(s) applicable. VAT and excise duty, if chargeable, will be assessed in the normal way."

The value was marked as US$400 which is equivalent to €340, so should I have been charged at 3.5%? maybe I'm not reading the paragraph correctly? should I add VAT to the 3.5%?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭PunyHuman

I agree with James Bond, you should send it back and get it brought home.

Although I have a friend who heard that allegedly if you get goods delivered from abroad by cheap (i.e. non-UPS/DHL) mail you may not be charged customs duty on them.

However, this is not to be recommended, because it's illegal. If you have not paid customs charges that you are liable to pay, you should contact the relevant authorities immediately to arrange payment in full.

• Advertisement
Advertisement