Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

importing a car from Germany

Options
  • 13-11-2003 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

Hi!,

i want to buy a car in Germany and then import it to Ireland, i was wondering if i have to pay tax or customs or something like that to import it? are the prices high?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

This probably belongs more on the motors board, but if you live in Ireland and are importing a new car you need to pay VRT at 20-30%, assuming you have already paid VAT in Germany.

Sometimes it still works out cheaper than going via a dealer in Ireland.

However see here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?postid=1208926#post1208926

www.revenue.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭ChicoMendez

you might want to check out if you can get it insured first (as the steering wheel is on other side).
    Im in france and wanted to bring my car over but insurance companies here would have none of it! - Does not really matter now cos i got a new 1.9 TDI GOLF today for 15G's - alot less that the ****in robbing paddies would have taken from me

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by ChicoMendez
    you might want to check out if you can get it insured first (as the steering wheel is on other side).
    Apparently you can order (special) right hand drive on the continent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

thanks for your replies, i found this cool information, might be interesting for you too

http://forums.eforecourt.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1107

Advertisement