Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netsource is NOT uncapped

• 13-11-2003 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hell o *.*,

I subscribed to Netsource, and after 3 month I got a mail that my download is more than described in the Acceptable User Policy document (4 GB/week), so they are going to restrict my download speed.

Now it's 1 kb/s.

I sent a mail to them last week complaining that they still advertise their service as uncapped, no reply since, and the download speed is the same.

just fyi

Trurl

--
    There is no replacement for displacement

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

Cancel and go to an ISP run by grown ups!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

The Consumer Affairs Association maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

which service are you suscribed under ?as afaik when i was searching for a isp they do display the home package as 4gb per week . and the other business ones as unlimited maby u should ask to switch

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

1kb/s, so thats like as slow as a 14k dialup modem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

friend of mine had a similar problem, tho im not sure what package he was on

"they said I over used service"
    "solution: ring netsource, agree (in writing) to not exceed 16GB / month, and they'll restore you to normal service"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

What is the deifinition of a week for Netfarce?
    Is it 7 days monday to sunday or what?
    What if you download 3gigs on sunday and 3 on Monday.
    Thats 6 gigs in 2 days, but 3 a week if the week is from Monday to Sunday.

Look under SOHO here

http://www.netsource.ie/html/access_solutions.html

It says no download limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

I don't think that even netsource knows how long a week is for netsource. From the moment they started, they've been making up rules as they go along, never telling anyone about those rules.

This weekly allowance without specifying the week in detail, is just an excuse for them so they can turn you off or throttle you if the feel like it.

I would believe them if they implemented a page like the Eircom dl page. Atleast it tells you (although sometimes incorrect) how much you've DLed. Netsource have nothing but two lines on a webpage about the DL cap.

Useless bunch of kids trying to run an ISP.

My recommendation to you: dump netsource. There is nothing they can offer you that is worth what you pay them. It's not even worth having them for free...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Originally posted by DaithiSurfer
    It says no download limit.

It also says Business Broadband Solutions all over that page.

If their acceptable use policy says 4Gb then you have only yourself to blame. Its not that hard to monitor your d/l's

And lets face it how many legal ways are there to consistently d/l 4 Gb a week?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I reckon I stay within my 4GB and I'm still fine :)

Originally posted by secret_squirrel
    It also says Business Broadband Solutions all over that page.

If their acceptable use policy says 4Gb then you have only yourself to blame. Its not that hard to monitor your d/l's

I was a business customer.
    We used close to 10GB per month LEGALLY.
    Then we were throttled and so decided to cut the Direct Debit and tell Netfarce that we would pay for the bandwidth that they supplied.
    eg. if they throttled it in half they would be paid half the cost per month and so on.
    After this we were unthrottled but had such a bad taste that we got rid of them anyway.
    I just hate to see a business treat people like **** who pay them good money.

In their acceptable use policy they DO NOT state how the week is broken down.
    4GB per week is a whole lot different to 16GB a month. See my previous post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭jimmeh

I was informed that it is taken from saturday to friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

There's loads of ways you ignorant asshole and don't be giving me **** cause i called him an asshole. Let's see video streaming, gaming, radio, video conferencing, if u have 3 people or more sharing the same connection + about a million other ways., big downloads don't have to be illegal. Obviously you don't get much out of your connection if you think 4 gigs a week is alot. Step aside and let someone who will appriacate the internet use it, instead of us having to listen to your narrow-minded comments.

Originally posted by DaithiSurfer
    I was a business customer.

Good for you then I would have done exactly the same...

And Davey you're missing the point - if you dont want a cap (and Im just talking home products here) then put your money where your mouth is and PAY for one. There aint no such thing as free (or even cut priced) lunch buddy. :D

The original post was about a guy who Netforce said breached his Acceptable use policy - now if NetForce changed it or didnt make him aware of it before he signed up its a completely different kettle of fish, but if not then you put up with it or cancel.

/me steps aside and lets one of the other 39 contended users have a go at downloading. ;)

I think YOUR missing the point i was making you idiot, you said people couldn't possibly be consistantly going over 4 GB's per week if they were downloading legally. I'm saying that statement is a load of bull****e.

i think u need to contact a company like hmmm lets say any company that dose any work online with companies across sea's that have to transfer a 1 gb database daily to there backup

r database went down last week and we had to take tha 6gb backup from a server in england . sure it took a while but its the reason we have a unlimited accout . when u pay for unlimited one u expect to get it .

just because uve a limited range of experience with dling of legit programs and files dosnt mean everyone dose the same as urself

Originally posted by elexes
    when u pay for unlimited one u expect to get it .

Absolutely I have no problem with anyone gettting an uncapped connection if that is what they have paid for. But if you havent paid for it then tough titties.

And Davey if you had actually paid attention to my post I asked a question I did not make a statement. Less flaming and more reading please.

You have given me 4 legal uses for a BB connection - fine. Now tell me what percentage of home users are using all their limit for that - not very many I wager - but Im prepared to be proved wrong - if you can.

You have given me 4 legal uses for a BB connection - fine. Now tell me what percentage of home users are using all their limit for that - not very many I wager - but Im prepared to be proved wrong - if you can.

i dont think any company can say exact number or even close . but as for a few individuals im sure i could name a few .. it may take a while but im sure i could

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Originally posted by jimmeh
    I was informed that it is taken from saturday to friday.

I tend to agree, the acceptable user policy was implemented starting on a friday back in early october, though i wouldnt bet much on it :)
    Trurl, if you had read previous threads on this issue, NS do not inform you about any changes in service.
    Only way out of throttling is to ring them up, they send you terms & conditions, then you sign an email stating you agree.

Then you are unthrottled, thats how it works...like it or lump it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

or burn them for witches :ninja:

I havent been capped so I'm happy to stay with them till something better comes along. Some weeks I download maybe a gig, others 4 or 5, never have a need to download more than that so they leave me alone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭MrB

Absolutely I have no problem with anyone gettting an uncapped connection if that is what they have paid for. But if you havent paid for it then tough titties.

And Davey if you had actually paid attention to my post I asked a question I did not make a statement. Less flaming and more reading please.

Ehh actually that’s what I paid for with Netsource (and I don't want you to think I'm siding with Davey, his attitude is bad!) When I got the RADSL service from netsource it was advertised and sold as having no cap. It also cost more then any other service (even more if you count the insanely overpriced domain!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭chill

I also keep within 4Gb a month and have absolutely no trouble. I get great speeds day and night.

NetSource do not have a HOME broadband product !

I am delighted that complaints from legitimate users like me and other business users I know has resulted in NetSource strangling the abusers of the service.

Way to GO NetSource !!!!!!

Ahhh netsource dont sell a home product? /me understands now!

But do they differentiate between home users and business users in the way that they cap? Or do they just cap everyone who busts the limit?
    Coz if they do - the way they are presenting their product is false advertising...since it states clearly on the site that it is uncapped. Or does another page on their site contradict it??

If thats not the case you lot who have been capped should get together and do something about it. Talking to trading standards, solicitors, chamber of commerce might help put some pressure on?

Or do home users get the same product but with different T&C's?

And is advertising their product as uncapped - when its not, a deliberate action or just complete incompetence on Netforces part??

they cap one of there products ( radsl ) afaik

On the Netsource website it says their €65 per month package has "No download limit", it's only when you dig a little deeper it says in the acceptable usage there is a 4gig a week cap. I can't figure out how they are getting away with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭captainpat

There are still posts being made by sanctimonious posters about how they stay within an arbitrary cap which was not part of any contract and are not throttled. Perhaps if they stopped using the NS service altogether, they would be even more sure of not being throttled.

Many RADSL NS users signed up BECAUSE the service was promoted as unlimited. It was considered that the extra €10plus VAT was a cynical way of charging for the extra backhaul capacity which might be required to cover use of the uncapped service. Netsource got it wrong. They were unwilling to spend the extra for the higher backhaul, so resorted to throttling. From being the expectedly best capacity ISP, they suddenly went to being worst for those who wanted it most.

If Netsource wish to implement the Acceptable Use clause, they have to remove the "unlimited" description of the service. Whether original customers, or any who signed up while it is still described as unlimited have a legal right to the described service under various Acts would be an interesting legal point.

At least it's all out in the open now. Anyone who wants an uncapped service will not choose the RADSL from NS, as it is no better, and arguably worse than the other RADSL options.

As the original Esat debacle showed, it is the two-faced hypocrisy which is the worst aspect of this mess. But, if the Irish public live up to their normal strong sense of justice, they will ignore this and flock to the crowd who pull the worst strokes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Originally posted by captainpat

As the original Esat debacle showed, it is the two-faced hypocrisy which is the worst aspect of this mess. But, if the Irish public live up to their normal strong sense of justice, they will ignore this and flock to the crowd who pull the worst strokes!

That would be Eircom then, right?

Mind you I agree with the main thrust of the argument that netsource are decieving people about the cap. I've talked to my "account manager" in Netsource several times and hes constantly referring to there being no cap on the RADSL product. even when its pointed out that its not true to say that. Caveat Emptor it seems to me. You do get more (4Gb weekly cap) but you also pay €19 more a month for the privilege (compared to UTV who are an 8Gb cap).

The only people who will be flocking to Netsource will be businesses anyway. No home users anymore.

Not that they will miss us anyway..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

I dont get all the posts about: "you get what you pay for", "4gig a week is a lot unless you DL illegal stuff" etc etc etc etc.

This is what I think.

1, 50 euros a month is a ****load of money for an internet connection. As I've posted here a dussin times before, this would give me a 26MBit connection back in Sweden, UNCAPPED! How can anyone think this price is resonable, when infact it is completly and insanely high (and you don't have to compare it to Sweden for the price to be high, find ONE western european country where it is more expensive than here)!!

2, Who cares WHY you are DLing more than 4gigs. You ISP is there to provide you with an internet connection, no matter what you use it for. It is not up to the ISP to stop you from doing anything illegal! This is EXACTLY like the telecom industry not being responsible if you plan a terrorattack or somehting over the phone.

Furthermore, on the same point, it is really easy to reach 4gigs a week legal, but IMHO, this is completly besides the point. From your ISP you should get what you pay for, which should always be what the ISP advertises (for me that has always been the case except with netsource).
    I am delighted that complaints from legitimate users like me and other business users I know has resulted in NetSource strangling the abusers of the service.

What makes you more legitimate than anyone else? How do you KNOW what other people are using their connection for? Why do you call them abusers, when they used their connection as advertised?

Netsource said the line was uncapped, which means that anyone is free to DL as much as they want. I will therefore ask you again, what made them into abusers (and don't say that they were doing anything illegal unless you know for a fact that they were. Your assumptions so far are, IMHO, so retarded I don't have words for it)??

Seems to me that you are completly clueless. Actually, I think you are so amazingly clueless, you don't even know half the things you can do on the net, which is why you don't reach 4 gigs month DL.

You made the assumption that everyone who was throttle was using there connection illegally. This to you is resonable? I can see why you are still using netsource, and please, keep doing so.

Well said I agree with you 100%.

I second that.
    People paid for a service without a cap and therefore have a right to use it without any cap imposed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I agree, does anyone know if Netfarce management have read these posts? Maybe smoeone should send them a link... They might realise just how gay they are being...

Advertisement