Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DUBLAN: Latest News.

Options
  • 12-10-1999 6:22pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I NEED:

Hubs: I think MP said we need hubs with uplink ports. Either way we need hubs.

Switches: Zero and Reaper are sorting two dirty switches with nasty cache and speed....

LIST OF Attendees:
    Is up please check your entry.
    http://www.spinsol.com/dublan

DeV.

[This message has been edited by DeVore (edited 12-10-99).]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Oh now my dumbass sees this...

I got a couple of hubs. At least two have uplink. The biggest is a 24 port.

I'll bring them along.

[This message has been edited by amp (edited 13-10-99).]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I presume the network will be 10 megs??

Whats the story with bringing your own switch's?

Someone asked me if they can bring a 8 port switch, all the ports on it are booked, so while its full already could we connect it to the network....

/me thinks me should mail MP?

What about actual servers, do we have to bring our own machine as the UT server (can be arranged) or do we have to use yours?

UT is very server intensive (as are all new games I suppose) so I would rather not run the UT server on the same box as, say quake/2/3 or Tribes?

BTW the rules for the UT tourneys are done now and are being checked.

We have a couple of clans (EM, DZr and so on) intrested so we will be having a small tourney. We will be having a duel compo, I want a weekend long ladder but as of yet were unsure.

any problems mail vagga@iol.ie

Well i'm gonna bring my aul puter as well, just in case. In fact I've a laptop that could even be a server (in theory) for one game.

So that's:
    1 athlon k7 pc
    1 P200mmx pc
    1 P120mhz laptop
    1 24 port 10meg (avec uplink)
    2 other hubs
    Lotsa cable
    Coupla netcards
    Software

Jeez, how's all this stuff gonna fit in my rucksack!? wink.gif

[Insert cool quote here]
    Play GLminesweeper!
    http://www.iol.ie/~adamj/dl/mineswp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

use winzip

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Dev,

I'll bring along my 10BT 16 Port Netgear Hub it has an uplink port as well. I hope there are switches organised wink.gif

Gandalf.

www.gibworld.com/gandalf gandalf@gibworld.com

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

MP/Reaper/Zero are sorting the switches. Sounds like we could manage without them but I'd rather not as the switches in question are Filthy-McNasty. smile.gif

UT server, if you can bring a server do it.
    UT and Q3 need about a server a piece. So the more servers the better. I'll know on Wednesday if Gateway have managed to get the finger out and supply us with 4 top notch servers. Otherwise we will scab them from a few different places.

I ideally want:
    1 server for UT.
    1 server for Q3.
    1 server for Q2.
    1-2 servers for Q1
    1 server for ftp, web and shoutcast.

If you have a p120 box, bring it as it will do for FTP/Webserver.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Dev, you *need* switches, having that many machines on a single shared 10mbit network makes me feel ill already. smile.gif That much bandwidth will not be sufficient when everyone is gaming, copying files etc at the same time.

Also, are we using DHCP this time or not - if not, then allocate IP addresses to everyone who's bringing a machine and put these up on the Dublan website next to their name - that way everyone can have their network settings correct before they get there, which should save some time.

Teeth.

DHCP! It'll be a nightmare otherwise. Means having one machine with NT or Linux though.

Oh and I've cleared the hubs. I've got:
    1 CentreCOM 12 port
    1 SynOptics 16 port
    1 3com SuperStack Hub 10 12 port
    1 3com SuperStack Hub 40 24 port

All are 10mbit and have uplinks
    That makes 64 connections.

[Insert cool quote here]
    Play GLminesweeper!
    www.iol.ie/~adamj/dl/mineswp.jpg

[This message has been edited by amp (edited 14-10-99).]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

Rioght,

Each table will have at least 1 or 2 16 port hubs. They will be linked back to a 100mb switch with a 500mb backplane. The chances of someone getting lagged, even when copying will be very slim. The only lag that will poissibly occur will be because some muppet is leeching on your own table, and you can easily step over and bait him yourself smile.gif

Everyone will be allocated an IP address. It will be taped to your category 5 cable at your designated position. There will be no dhcp servers. Everybody is expected to have a working 10 or 100mb network card installed and ready to go in your pc.

Thats about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

hey MP,
    can you put that last message on a seperate topic so all the muppets can read it.
    as usual someone will arrive with no card, no drivers, no graphics card etc etc etc etc

just t o make sure all read it like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

I'm bringing along a small 100mb switch for my table, should reduce p/l even more and enable my lot to leech like crazy without disturbing anyone. smile.gif

D.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Sounds good Teeth (unless MP has techno objections).

Amp, I'd leave the 120 laptop behind unless you want to bring it yourself, its just a little to easy to lift and walk away with. I dont think any of us would do that but we arent necessarily alone there....

Any machine people are going to donate for servers will have to have NT on them too for superior pings.

Worse case is that we'll grab a few machines from Spinsol for the weekend and grab some spare machines from people. I dont think it will happen tho.

Kewl stuff I wanna do includes:

1. central FTP server. I'd appreciate it if people didnt put copywrighted material on it... nonono god that would be awful.

2. Shoutcast server: Pox (of POXFM is coming and I hope to see him shake his funky booty over our network.

3. A webserver for info distribution (ip's of servers, league results up todate etc.

***League admins note*** if you can make sure you have some way of HTMLing the results up quick and dirty it would be good.
    I saw a webserver running in France with the Irish team and it was a godsend...

If I think of anything else I'll let you all know smile.gif (anyone got achievable suggestions?)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

just out of interest what sort of pings would a Linux or FreeBSD server give as opposed to NT's 14 ping.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Dev
    UT has that function built in smile.gif

I have something already done as a backup, just in case!

UT stuff is done folks and is being checked, post it tommorow prolly!

And finally Im on Teeths 100 meg switch na, na, na, na smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

yup same here, extremely desirable hub real estate.

Cool cool sounds good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Jedi

Your doing a great Job Dev. We appreciate it Big time.

Jedi

Advertisement