Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iol are wasters

Options
  • 13-11-2003 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭

i am sick to the teeth of talking to people on the phone who make me wait through hours of music so crackley that i dont even know what it is; then getting on to some badly trained indivudual who wants *ME* to sort out the problem - even though i've been assured several times in other conversations that it's been sorted ( i wont bother getting into the long and boring details right now ) ... anyway it's not the problem itself , more the manner in which it's being handled ..... i am moving to another 'anytime' provider ... someone *please* tell me that UTV or eircom are more dealable with .....

seriously is there a general concensus on which of them is best .... and DONT try to tell me it's iol ... LOL

bob
    :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

Bob,

I've generally found UTV's support group to be pretty good. They have some people there who really know what they are talking about. Their junior people can struggle at times, but have a generally positive attitude and can always tap into the experts.

I've found recently that it takes longer to get through to support for some reason, perhaps their growing customer base is stretching the current support team.

Hope this helps

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

I was hung up abruptly 7 times in a row the other day calling esat's "sales" department to ask about RADSL.

The first time, when I pressed 3 (or whatever it was) for sales, I got to listen to an annoying ad before I could have my call routed, whereupon after about 3 minutes of music, it rang for a second, then just went silent for about 30 seconds before handing me an engaged tone.

Then I called back, pressed 3, then pressed 0 to interrupt the same ad (why listen to the same ad repeatedly because they don't know how to handle a PABX?) and got put through to some operator there or something, who said she'd put me through to sales.
    Then another 3 or 4 minutes of music (bless speakerphones!) and the same hangup thingy.

I then tried again, and again, and this time, being put through to the same operator, said "You know, I've been hung up three times in a row trying to get through to sales? Is there some kind of problem?", which was countered with a distinctly sarcastic "Ah. Sorry!", a click, then another few minutes of music and a hangup.

When I finally got to talk to someone in 'sales', it turned out to be business sales, so he put through to somewhere else which hung me up again.

After about 25 minutes, I finally got talking to them and was pretty disappointed.

They really do have awful customer service :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

I know what you mean being a anytime customer but i dont think you can change is it not a contract for a year

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Zynaps, I was talking to somebody the other day that reckoned hangups are just call centre staff trying to bump up their numbers. Not sure I believe it though, I would have thought 0-second calls would be spotted pretty easily.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Hmm, that's a cunning plan :)

The woman I spoke to each time I skipped the same ad on redialling didn't seem very surprised when I kept calling back asking to be put through again, either...

This reminds me - a few times, when being routed to 'sales', after it rang through, I could hear background chatter (ie. call centre noise), though my hellos went unanswered for the 30 or 40 seconds before they (or it, or whatever) hung up.

Could be someone who doesn't know how to use a phone (hopefully not me in this case), a problem with their pabx or your friend's theory on received calls bumping.
    Perhaps they waited around for that minute or a half to get around call length logging... but then, surely they'd be smart enough to put the phone on mute every time :)

*scratches badly shaved chin suspiciously*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭thetourist

Originally posted by Kazu
    I know what you mean being a anytime customer but i dont think you can change is it not a contract for a year

no i'm pretty sure i didn't sign a year conract

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭thetourist

my story is a bit on the complicated side but one part of it was that the girl that i was dealing with had certainly never heard of the idea that the customer is always right -- we had a dissagrement and i hadn't time for bickering so i sort of glossed over the thing with a kind of "well that's how you feel and this is how i feel so we'll leave it so for now and we can take it further on a later date" -- to which i expected something similar of a reply ( seing as it was a fairly accurate discription of the situation ) - however this lady mustn't have had a row with anyone ALL DAY
    because that wasnt good enough for her -- no it was .... "well you're wrong you know" !!! ... which i honestly didn't see as in the slightest bit helpful or professional .... actually more childish than anything ..... my opinion i know ... but then i AM the customer ... or doesnt that count for anything anymore .... the sooner the classic irish "no competitors" in the marketplace scenario is history the better .... three competing flat rate isp's is actually only 2 steps away from a complete monopoly :mad:

in fairness to the girl, i honestly dont think it's her fault believe it or not .... customer service is not something i think we excell at as a nation, and in my opinion the main reason for this is lack of propper training ---- everyone thinks his or her problem is reasonable, but the trouble is we are all radicaly different so if a person is expected to deal will all of us appropriately then propper training is necessary , which is why i blame the companies themselves --- there are textbook standard ways of dealing with people who may be emotional, angry (justifiable and not), tired waiting, etc etc .... from my experience it's painfully obvious that the typical call centre operator has gotten about a single afternoon's training before they are expected to be able to sort out the genuine cases from the chancers deal with the impatient and the marginalised and all the while walk carefully amid internal politcs within their company ( afterall it doesn;t seem to me that iol are actually SERIOUS about keeping the customers happy so the operators probably wouldn't get thanked for doing the *right* thing anyway !!!)

the companies either dont care or are basicaly incompetent --- otherwise we'd be getting a lot more professionality in this area from all of them . :p

Advertisement