Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wisp

Options
  • 13-11-2003 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭

will be moving out the country in the next year or so ... am thinking of setting up a WISP network in the area ... has anyone got any info ... in particular i'm puzzeled as to how to get the connection to the base station in the first place ( i suppose that *IS* the hard part) .. and how much that connection costs

thanks in advance

bob:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭niallb

What part of the country are you moving to?
    I've thought about this myself here and you can make a start
    by finding what's your closest town with a form of access.
    Doing a deal to get some of that out to your base station
    is the second next step.
    (The next step is finding out if you have a market,
    and who you can share costs with)

Wireless point to point links with at least 10k range are available for an equipment cost of about 800 euro for both ends.
    A license for this kind of link is meant to be about a tenner.

You could try it in unlicensed spectrum,
    but your clients won't thank you if your link is sporadic!

A WISP HOWTO for IOFFL would be a great thing to put together.

NiallB

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

www.irishwan.org
    www.irishwan.org/board
    www.dublinwan.org
    www.vbnets.com

it all depends on where you are.
    however you can get two way satellite everywhere - if you can afford it and have can throttle downstream connections.

another option is to get one way satellite and use the 180 hour dial up as the back end.

Advertisement