Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting 2 windows machines

Options
  • 13-11-2003 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

i have files on one pc and i want to copy them to another pc, i have a parallel cable that can attach to the printer pot of both machines, is it possible to connect the two of them this way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭wild_eyed

update: im getting the following error after i set up a direct connect.
    error 721 the remote computer is not responding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

whats the size of the file you are transferring ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You can't use normal "straight through" cables to connect via the Serial or parallel ports. You need a laplink cable. Then there is the whole fun of setting it up - I've found for win95 sharing seemed to work best when the folder was passworded.

Also have a look at interlnk / intersrv - for DOS file transfers

If both PC's have USB the marx computers do a link for €27

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

If both machines have USB ports and you have a USB cable, you can USB2USB (Download from MSI.com.tw) and transfer the files over that .. might be a bit easier

N

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.msi.com.tw/ <-- do you mean this one ?

http://www.wown1.com/j_helmig/usbmain.htm <-- good site

you need a special cable with proper plugs and with some electronics to
    switch the signals between the 2 systems :

(too complex to self-made, you need to purchase it).

I used for my USB network the "Net-Linq USB Connection Cable" from
    Parallel Technologies.
    Network speed up to 500+ Kbytes /sec
    (Effective data transfer rates are depending upon PC type, CPU speed and protocol overhead )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭ST

alternatively you could install a network card in each machine and connect them together using a crossover patch cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭malico

Or just put both hard disks in the machine!

I'm a lazy bastard!!

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭wild_eyed

i threw the hard disk into the machine,
    thanks. im done with computers. i hate 'em

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭malico

See! Lazyness reigns supreme!!

Advertisement