Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sole traders allowed. Why?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Originally posted by Gordo84
    ecksor, this is exactly what i'm talking talking about. By the time the owners of the board come along etc etc etc.

That's not what I said ...
    Who runs the website. Can i contact them via my mobile. Will they contact me.

You can contact everyone you need to contact here. I've posted, DeVore has posted, you just need to wait for Vexorg and the For Sale mods since they may have had discussions outside of the forums and have reached some conclusions.

I'm repeating myself here.

Anyway, our commercial director, Vexorg, didn't come into work today. He has flu. I'll be sure to pass on your message to his personal secretary who will ensure that he returns your query ASAP.
    The only reason a thread goes on and on and on is because the website owners don't have a definate answer on the subject.

Yep, and we haven't settled on one in the last 24 hours either. And I can't predict how long it will take. For the record, I was in favour of this when the subject was first raised, but the FS users gave some good feedback on how it should work, and we haven't gotten around to coming to a definite conclusion and putting that into action yet.
    Ecksor, can i contact you via mobile or can u pass me onto the website owner regarding this issue. I'd rather talk to the owners. It would save me a lot of hassle.

You can contact me via PM or e-mail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Theres a restructuring of the whole classifieds area that I've suggested to Vex and Keeks coming soon. The traders section will probably follow soon after that. Theres a few issues still to be sorted. Patience please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Gordo84

Thanks for your reply mercury_tilt. You see very down to earth about the whole issue which is refreshing.

Hopefully i will be able to discuss this with the owners, preferably vexorg. Hes on my side, lol.

Blade, where have you been. Thats the kind of forward movement i've been looking for. Glad to hear that the structuring of a traders thread is in progress. PROGRESS being the operative word.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Blade, where have you been. Thats the kind of forward movement i've been looking for. Glad to hear that the structuring of a traders thread is in progress. PROGRESS being the operative word.
    Gordo84, I agree with you when you say that you may have come across a little harsh earlier in the thread (not necessarily condemning you for it). I admire your optimism, forwardness and directness, however expecting everyone to respond identically is overly optimistic and could be your downfall. Secondly, hard sell only works in certain lines of business (many people on boards.ie on wise to hard sells).

I've been involved with all types of businesses in the last 12 years from Mick from Mayo doing a bit of carpentry to companies and individuals worth in the hundreds of millions euros each. Each has their own emphasis and priorities. For Mick from Mayo €500 means whether or not he has bread on the table in the morning, for Mr. XXXXXX XXXX, €500 means whether or not he has that really nice bottle of wine for dinner, but may still haggle over the €500 (that’s why he's worth what he's worth, although Daddy helped). There will be all types in between and that includes pretty much everyone in this discussion.

Separately, while boards.ie has a reputation of being a little revolutionary, it's organisation is in fact evolutionary (which very occasional revolution, which will either be krumped on harshly or endorsed heartily). boards.ie started as, forgive me Admins, a toy project that has grown into a beast. I imagine something will come out of this thread, but as DeVore said earlier in the week, they are reviewing the overall direction of boards already and this may take some time.

BTW, I made one f***** pay IR£100,000 for the privilege of being overly optimistic and insisting on my side being revolutionary. He thought he was getting a good deal. Will I give you the same deal?

Victor, Like i said, i am not trying to force their hand on the issue. But how much time do they need to think about introducing a traders thread.

Its either a yes or a no. Yes, i agree that introducing a traders thread needs due consideration but they have known this for a long time. Its not like they have only been discussing this issue since i posted my question.

Why is everybody telling me to calm down and give it time. I don't understand this. I am calm, very calm infact. I only asked a straight question.

Like i said before and i don't know how often i have to say it. The board will either endorse trading amongst traders or they won't. I get the impression that people are afraid to express their opinion in case they offend the Mods. Its a really weird situation.

Its as if everybody is telling me to watch what i say and keep things hush hush. To be honest i'm beginning to feel very uncomfortable with the whole situation.

I can't get a straight answer yet i am being condemned for expecting a straight answer. If this was a new concept i could understand but it has been discussed at length yet nobody seems to be able to just say "Gordo, No traders allowed, period" or "Gordo, you can contact so and so at this number to discuss further".

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

I get the impression that people are afraid to express their opinion in case they offend the Mods. Its a really weird situation.

Its as if everybody is telling me to watch what i say and keep things hush hush. To be honest i'm beginning to feel very uncomfortable with the whole situation.

I don't think you understand what this community is all about, where it came from and how it grew. You're just walking into this now and you think it's all a bit weird, thats understandable. People usually do when they come here first, then they realise we're not so bad after all. Except Bubbles, watch out for him!

You're not being told to hush, you're being asked to chill.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Aye, nobody actually *works* for this site so changes take a loooooong time sometimes. And we have a lot of change right now.

Not only that but you are asking for something that might well piss people off if it isnt handled correctly. So far we have integrated Commerical Internest boards very nicely by reversing the current way capitalism works. They dont advertise their wares by spam, they sit there and wait for people to come by to buy their stuff.

The same will apply to traders too, its just setting up the monetary mechanism that might take time.

So, to give you an idea of the sorts of things you dont see that have to be arranged:

1. How much do we charge and for what?

2. How do we enforce this by programming (cos there is no way we can enforce it by hand, even with our diligent mods... and its nuts to ask them anyway, they are busy enough!)

3. Will you pay for a year in advance? Otherwise we have to check your account ever month. Thats another load of work when you multiply that by all the traders.

4. We dont have credit card processing facilities... how do we take your cash? how does that translate to a setting in the database which says "yes this guy can post here".

5. Do we really want to do this? (The answer seems to be "yes" given that threads contents).

So ... theres what we are currently thinking about. As Blade says you arent being told to shut up, you are just being asked to chill, there is a LOT of change in the pipeline ahead of you and sometimes even just setting up a forum takes weeks. And thats fairly easy! :)

DeV.

Advertisement