Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony DAVs550 region code ?

• 13-11-2003 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hi all,
    I purchased a Sony DAVs550 Home Cinema system but the region codes seem to be set for the U.S. (Region 1) even though it has Region2 player written on the back panel. Also when I watch region1 DVDs they appear in Black and White.

What is weird is that it plays VCDs and MP3 CDs fine.

Anyone know how or where I can get this fixed - I have looked on the web and it says you require a Sony Engineer Remote or a PDA with remote software - Any help greatly appreciated

Thanks
    Emmet

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭mayto

this link says how to change region code but i think you need a palm pda. http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdhacks.php?select=Sony%20DAV-S550

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by Shmall
    Also when I watch region1 DVDs they appear in Black and White.

This probably indicates that your TV is not NTSC compatible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Shmall

Thanks Mayto,

Unfortunately I don't have a PDA although it might be worth my while - The alternative is to send it to a shop and get it chipped - €70 is what I got quoted and thought it was a bit steep.

With the Black and White stuff I will check whether TV is NTFS as this sounds quite possible as it is a 14 inch cheapo TV.

Thanks all but does anyone have anywhere cheaper to get this chipped or even region unlocked

Emmet

Re : NTSC / NTFS - Soz Samson working late and brain a bit fried

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by Shmall
    Thanks all but does anyone have anywhere cheaper to get this chipped or even region unlocked?

www.dvdireland.com sell the Sony player self-install kit for $45.00/€40.00

I've done a few (my own and friends) and it's a fairly easy job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

Is it playing Region2 discs as well as the region1?

Okay, I just followed the link here:
    http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdhacks.ph...Sony%20DAV-S550
    and did the following with my iPaq and now I have a Region free DVP-NS305.

WOOHOO!

(damn wish I'd seen this a year ago)

"I just hacked my Sony DVP-NS305 that I bought in Switzerland 1 year ago. Apparently there are many ways to do this. The following worked for me perfectly. It is true that the hack for the Sony DVP-NS900, posted by Shareman, works also for the NS305. You will need to 1) download the evaluation version of TV remote controller (http://www.pdawin.com/tvremote.html), 2) a PDA using Pocket PC or Pocket PC 2002 OS and 3) the following .ccf file (http://www.xs4all.nl/~pbonnet/sony.zip)
    In fact, I verified that the button codes posted by Josh for this thread of messages are identical to those that are defined in the .ccf file. However, I didn't need a power button.
    All you need is to install the TV remote controller on your PDA, load the .ccf file and you will be presented 5 buttons from 1 to 5.
    The NS305 in standby mode, press sequentially 1 1 2 2 3 3 4 4 5 5 and you will get the SUCCESS message. Then again 1 1 2 2 3 3 4 4 5 5 and the NS305 will go back in standby mode.
    That's it :)."

Thanks all,

I don't have a PDA so and the rental of a Sony remote is too costly so I think sending to the TV shop and paying is the best option. It can't be too much - I got a quote of €20 to look at it and €70 to chip it.

Thanks again for a ll your help
    Emmet

You find a ccf file for me and I'll do it with my PDA for €10.

Save yourself €80 and don't risk violation of warranty by opening up the player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 lowlands

Just an additional warning guys, according to Sony Repair Center a player that has been region modified by remote control can also be refused for repair under warranty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

Works on my DAVS-880. Works on the DAVS-550. And most current range sony DVD players. Ive done it to most of my mates players too.

It is a ripoff to pay someone 70 Euro for a one-shot remote control. Pay the same and get yourself a Palm PDA. Then program it and do it yourself for free.

Originally posted by fluffer
    Works on my DAVS-880. Works on the DAVS-550. And most current range sony DVD players. Ive done it to most of my mates players too.

It is a ripoff to pay someone 70 Euro for a one-shot remote control. Pay the same and get yourself a Palm PDA. Then program it and do it yourself for free.

Are you referring to the same CCF file I used? The one for the NS305?

You're right I guess but whenever i go to buy a PDA a little voice tells me that if I am getting one I should get a good one. HTen I think if I am spending a few hundred euro I should get a laptop instead. I check laptop prices and then can't afford one so I start looking at PDAs again - It's one big awful circle

But thanks for the advice and I will eventually be decisive and do somehting about this

Emmet

Are you referring to the same CCF file I used? The one for the NS305?

Yes. The NS305 and NS405 are among the models I have unlocked with the same file. Saved myself and my mates hundreds between the lot.

Originally posted by fluffer
    Yes. The NS305 and NS405 are among the models I have unlocked with the same file. Saved myself and my mates hundreds between the lot.

Excellent!

So :
    NS305
    NS405
    DAVS-550
    DAVS-880

Which other ones have you tried, I think I'll compose a list for reference.
    Or is it just all Sony models.

(maybe I'll do a walkthrough in a Sony shop ans try it on all their display models he,he)

There is a knack to doing it though. Like on the NS305 where it involved turning it on and off a few times, the DAVS550 and 880 needed to be put in to a setup mode, with "Mech Lock" on the screen I think. Then the remote worked to unlock it. Took a good few attempts on each unit I did..

Thanks,

I'll document that in my list.

(btw I only had to do the procedure once -on&off- for the ns305)

Its the same hck as for the NS405/305 etc.
    Only difference being how you apply it.

1. Turn on the player.
    2. Hold down "Display" "Stop" and "Prev" keys ("Mecha Lock" should appear), and while keeping them pressed turn volume knob to the right.
    3. Then use your Palm/pronto remote/etc.. as follows.

This is a post i made on a website about a year ago. Ive had hundreds of e-mails from people about it; apparently its one of the few references to it on the internet...

I used a Palm V, so this is the way I'll describe it.
    Download Omniremote Trial version (lasts 12 days at least).
    Get the file "Sony_DVD_hack.pdb" (or input the code manually as published elsewhere)
    Install both.
    Using the Sony DVD hack template now in omniremote, press the keys 1-5 ONCE EACH (not twice like others say) but very quickly. just keep doing that constantly (no need to switch off and try again, just keep typing 1-5 quickly, ensuring each keypress transmits) until "DATA RESET" appears on the player(not the screen). It took me quite a few tries, dont give up.

4. Press the power button on the player remote.
    5. Plug it out for 5-10 seconds.
    6. Start it again, and play your region 1 etc. discs!!

This saved me 100 euro per dvd player! (worked on my Dav-s880 and the Ns405)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 delboypf

Tried the PDA hack using sony.zip file on DAV S400. No joy!
    Using Dell Axim5 successfully as a remote to DVD and TV, but ccf file doesn't do anything
    Anyone try this on the DAV S400!

How do you edit the ccf file?

Advertisement