Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I-Stream DhCP Lease

• 13-11-2003 9:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Does anyone know how long an I-Stream Starter DHCP lease lasts ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭hudson806

Originally posted by jdsiiken
    Does anyone know how long an I-Stream Starter DHCP lease lasts ?

i-stream doesn't use DHCP. Instead the connection is session-based (IPCP using PPPoE), as for dial-up. The IP address will stay the same as long as the connection is unbroken.

As eircom only uses routers for i-stream, the session is kept alive by the router, so in theory, if you don't power the router down, the connection will stay alive indefinitely. That's the theory though - my connection usually stays alive for a few days at a time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭chewb

DHCP is emcapsulated by IPCP. So there is a DHCP request, but it's just a bit hidden.

If you're running the PPPoE stack on your PC, then you should be able to find out the lease time by going ipconfig /all.

Last time I looked at an eircom connection I wasn't paying much notice, but the lease time I think is 24 hours, though this does not imply that the IP address will change after 24 hours -- the client will re-request the same IP address, and may or may not get it again from the server. Most "normal" dhcp servers will re-issue the same IP address, but eircom's may not be "normal".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

DHCP leasetimes are set on the server. You'd have to ask Eircom what they set their leasetime to on the server side.

If you are looking to run a server, and you're worried about the IP changing, there are tons of services on the net you can use to get a static name with a dynamic IP (http://www.dyndns.org/ being an example of a free one).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

I'm open to correction on this but I belive I was told by an Istream tech that the lease is 99 Days. It was sometime ago though.

Advertisement