Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need to get Fiat serviced (new shocks needed)

Options
  • 14-11-2003 12:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I need to get my 'babe magnet' [1] 1996 Fiat Bravo serviced for the NCT.

I need new rear shocks replaced (NCT from 1.5 years ago had them down for a 77% imbalance :-[ although the car does no miles) & a general service.

Has anyone an idea of how much this should cost for the shocks?

Any recommendations for a good honest Fiat garage in the City center/northside of Dublin)?

Cheers

[1] no really!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

It's ok pencil, I've got one of them babe magnets too :D

I got mine serviced only on Monday at Alasta Autos on South Lotts Road I think it is, it's just down from the Shelborne Greyhound track. I've used them the last two services and they do a good job, mines purring like a kitten now. I've no idea what it would cost for the shocks thought, try ringing them, the number is in the service section of their website, www.alastaautos.com, and there's a map here too of where it is, not too far from the City Centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

Cheers Jip,

How much did your service cost?

The costs varied, one cost about €170 but that was a fairly big one and included new spark plugs etc. The latest one was €270 but that also included new brake pads and I had the rear brake drums skimmed and the hand brake tightened. Give them a ring and ring around a few places to get a rough price for what you want. My first ever service cost about €120 but that was a basic oil change etc in Donohoes on the Kylemore Road just near Ballyfermot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Those services sound pretty expensive.

I do most of my own work on my car and i'm no mechanic but i've changed my shocks, lowered it, tightened the handbrake, changed oil/brakepads/disks/bernes all that stuff....

None of it is very hard especially the shocks, all you need is a jack a wheel brace, pair of pliars and a set of sockets.

Its pretty straight forward and you'll save a fortune. I don't see the point in paying someone for something you can quite easily do yourself but if you have the money or are lazy then keep the garage man happy!

Farlz

Originally posted by Farls
    Those services sound pretty expensive.

They're about average, I could get cheaper in a back street garage but I might as well get it done right. I neither have the time nor the inclination to mess around with my car, it's not straight forward for someone like myself who couldn't be @rsed doing it themselves :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

I'm at 85,000 miles - I'm told I should get my timing belt changed?

Should I, considering I'd rather not spend the 300 approx. The car goes to the shopping center for groceries every 2 weeks & up & down to galway every two months. F all driving.

cheers

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

AFAIK short trips are worse than longer runs - been quoted 400 for timing belt on a Brava - 36,000 miles...

Pencil - At 85,000 I think you should, you could end up paying alot more if you're driven at a bit of speed and the belt snaps. Are you still on the original belt ?

Capt'n Midnight - What year is your Brava ? 36,000 seems a bit early if it's a later model Brava.

Have any of you seen http://welcome.to/TheBravoForum
    There's a good bit of knowledge floating arounf there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

'96

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

A quick warning about Brava's/Bravo's and timing belts. When the belt is changed the controlling arm should also be changed, as it's a known problem on these models. Fiat garages will do this as standard, but most mechanics won't know about the problem and you'll happily drive around with your new timing belt until the arm fails and your engine eats itself.

• Advertisement

yeah that why it was €400 to adjust it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 alan101

Hi guys,

I too have a babe magnetic 96 bravo sx which at present i am trying to sell. Anyway for all your fiat bravo/brava questions here is a great forum, it's mostly english based but don't be afraid to ask any question or put forward any queries as most of the contributers know their stuff

http://welcome.to/TheBravoForum

I thin the site is down at the moment but it's real helpful.

When your getting the car service be sure the spark plug leads are good quality, mine were'nt and by some freak cause the immobiliser to kick in costing me 600 yoyo's to fix.
    If this kinda thing happens you wonder if you should just go to a fiat garage for any work you need done.

Advertisement