Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom or router problem?

• 14-11-2003 1:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭

At about 4 today I switched off my PC and router (DLink DSL-504). Came home at 7 but it won't connect back up! The Link light is on and the router tests report the line is OK but all other tests fail. Errors in the Event Log are
    -LCP reaches open state
    -IPCP reaches open state
    I've also seen "PPPoE server not found" show up in the status field once or twice.
    I've tried putting in a different DSL-504 but have the same problems? Any suggestions? Is this an EircomNet problem or something at my end?

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zenith74

Sorted! It was an Eircom problem; they just reset """it""" at their end and voila. Don't know why it had to cost us €3.70 (0.74c x 5 minutes) to phone their support line when the problem was theirs and not mine, just another Eircom anomaly I guess:confused:...

Philip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭IDM

Thanks Zenith. Called the number & got them to do the same thing. Fixed my problem too ! Knew what I wanted so it only cost me about 60 cents. I owe you a drink =P

Cool!
    This is a reasonably common problem I think, I remember having it over the summer working in the IT section of a company. I'm not sure why Eircom couldn't setup an auto reset when they see a customer trying to connect repeatedly and getting the same thing over and over. Looking at my connections report on dslstats.eircom.net there are about 50 failed connections, all identical (0 uploads, 120 byte downloads), pretty easy to detect I would have thought?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭-Wheeler-

Same thing happened on my line last night and I called them this morning and they reset it. They said it was something to do with a 'spike in the server' last night which disconnected lots of people but the server still thought they were connected, not allowing a another login.........or something like that. They just did a forced logout from their end and that sorted it out.

In fairness to eircom, they took my name and number and called me back so as to save me wasting money on their 1550 number.

Anyway...problem solved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by Zenith74
    Don't know why it had to cost us €3.70 (0.74c x 5 minutes) to phone their support line when the problem was theirs and not mine, just another Eircom anomaly I guess:confused:...

Those charges stink. And they were introduced in the sneakiest of fashions, well after the starter product was introduced. I have no problem with them charging if you phone them and need help reconfiguring your router or something. But I've had the same experience spending my money helping them to diagnose problems with their service.

They charge enough for the service, basic service fault diagnosis and repair should be included with the exorbitant monthly rental.

Maybe we should petition ComReg:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭-Wheeler-

I agree - It's ridiculous being charged through the nose to report a fault at their end :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Originally posted by Zenith74
    Cool!
    This is a reasonably common problem I think, I remember having it over the summer working in the IT section of a company. I'm not sure why Eircom couldn't setup an auto reset when they see a customer trying to connect repeatedly and getting the same thing over and over. Looking at my connections report on dslstats.eircom.net there are about 50 failed connections, all identical (0 uploads, 120 byte downloads), pretty easy to detect I would have thought?

My dad was just on to them about getting a connection reset. Apparently they're working on a way to disconnect a user when they can't log on.

Excellent, thanks for the info!

Advertisement