Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

blaster and welchia virus

Options
  • 14-11-2003 3:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

I got the welchia on my system tonight, it was detected by nortan anti virus. I got rid of it with a fix blast. It just seemed to be dormant in my system folder. Are those virus still going around? How is the welchia being spread, Ive got the patch installed, but it still managed to get into my system... And Im on a LAN which is protected by a router????

Puzzling but interesting!!!

Hertz

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

if your using xp, it might have infected your pc before you installed the patch and has been backed up by the system restore service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

as long as users do not patch their machines
    they will continue to circulate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭nellieswellies

Welchia is due to die out on jan 1st

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

caused havoc on our network but got it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Blaster is very much still alive. On dial up at home, i get around 20 RPC probes an hour. My brother's laptop got it within 2 minutes of plugging his machine into the net (it had only been on intel's LAN prior to that), he'd never heard of it. Ignorance is bliss, as they say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I got the welchia on my system tonight, it was detected by nortan anti virus. I got rid of it with a fix blast.

Thought there was a seperate removal tool for welchia.
    A frien of mine had the welchia worm and the version of fixblast they had didnt detect it. They got the welchia removal tool from Symantec.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭flanno

Yeah, Welch can still be resident on your pc after patching as is the case with a lot of the new one's.

The patches will fix the exploited vulnerability i.e. stop you from getting infected but unfortunately will not clean the infection.

Basically, install all of the patches and then run the relevant removal utility from Symantec e.g. fixblast.exe or fixwelch.exe.

Flanno.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

As GUI mentioned above, as long as donkeys like yourself don't keep their machines updated, worms like these will continue to propogate.

There's a lesson in all of this:
    Visit Windows Update regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

iv had to reinstall my pc twice recently due to hdd problems both times i got blaster and welchia before i could get the patch
    its a real pain
    welchia takes all my upstream bandwidth which criples my download while trying to get the patch + removal tools

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by tuxx
    iv had to reinstall my pc twice recently due to hdd problems both times i got blaster and welchia before i could get the patch
    its a real pain
    welchia takes all my upstream bandwidth which criples my download while trying to get the patch + removal tools
    Little piece of advice - anything handy you download from the web, keep in a folder called downloaded programs or somesuch, and back it up to CD every so often.

That way, when you reinstall, you can just reinstall your stuff without having to connect to the web. Particularly for stuff like patches, and when your browser craps out, preventing you downloading another one.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭LastIrishMonkey

i readed something recently saying there a problem that cab be easly solved by updating xp o what ever os u got or just go to nortons site and down load removal tools........ :)

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭hertz

Yeah, Norton is quarentining welchia, I removed it a day ago and now Ive another wlchia on my pc, whether its the same one and has been backed up by system restore, I ve jad the patch installed ages ago, and I have the symantec fix welchia removal tool..

Hertz

Advertisement