Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

it all sucks...

• 14-11-2003 3:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭

right, here's what sucks (tis a long story, sorry, but all this crap happened):

i was gonna go with netsource at the beginning of august, but after sending off the connection fee, the guy there rings me and says we have to pick a domain name. i say no thanks, i got a .com from a company in the states for $180 for 10 years, i don't want to pay that for 1 year with you. He says we have to, it's part of the contract, so i say you can stick it, forget about it, i'll go with someone else. The next day a woman from Netsource rings to check if we definitely want to cancel the application. I tell her we do and she says ok.
    Regardless of this, a few days later, the microfilters, and other elevant forms turn up. Again i'm on the phone to Netsource telling them i don't want this service from them. They tell me they didn't know about this but will cancel it. So about a week later I get onto IOL and after the girl explains the terms to me i ask her to send out the forms for me to sign. She does this and they are delivered about 3 days later. i have them filled in and returned immediately.
    A week later the girl in IOL rings me to ask me choose a login ID and password. i pick them and everything seems good, says i'll get all the stuff in about 2-3 weeks. a week later she calls again to say that my application failed because when she tried to put it through eircom's offices, they said they couldn't connect me cos i already had a bb subscription with guess who? Netsource!! She says i have to get onto netsource and get a special code off of them, which i will then give to her and she will give to eircom.
    i get back onto netsource, they prove mighty unhelpful and say it'll take about a month to get it. i'm pissed off about this, but since i feel there's damn all i can do about it, i agree. about 3 weeks pass, and i decide i'll give netsource a ring to see if i'm any closer to gettting this code. they tell me that eircom never replied to their first email. I tell them i'll get onto eircom myself, but i'm told he'll send another email and get back to me in 15 minutes with the code. he does. i'm onto IOL a.s.a.p. to give them the code. Now that was 2 weeks ago, and any time i ring IOL tell me that they're still waiting on eircom to clear the line.

What the **** is going on?

I'm thinking of withholding payment on the line since eircom aren't letting me use it properly.

Anyone out there got any ideas on how i should proceed?

(Sorry again for the long read)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

i bet if you wanted istream eircom wouldnt be causing you these problems
    some of the things eircom are doing to inhibit the other providers is shocking even by eircoms standards

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Boy am I glad I didn't go with Netsource. The only thing I can't decide about them is whether they're robbers or morons.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

In responses to Tuxx's post about Eircom not doing this if you were to sign with them. Well they do, I know because that's the situation I'm in. I want to move from Netsource to Eircom (better pings and I don't download much). Eircom can't jumper my line until Netsource say it's ok. I've mailed Netsource to tell them I want to cancel my subscription, however no response from their sales department yet.

Personally I think that Eircom aren't allowed to jumper the line when it's already jumpered for another BB provider just in case they get accused of stealing customers from the other providers illegally. Surely once the customer knows what's going on who cares about the other BB provider. Hell they're still getting paid for their subscription and I'm not using their bandwidth anymore.

With regard to NetSource. Avoid like the plague, I think they really don't know what they're at...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Boy am I glad I didn't go with Netsource. The only thing I can't decide about them is whether they're robbers or morons.

adam

I'd go with Answer B: "morons" adam, most criminals have more intelligence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

I was with Netsource for a few months... found them friendly to talk to, but thats about it. The service was woeful, the pings were unbelievable and download speeds needed a kick up the a$$. Disconnecting from them was not a huge ordeal but it wasnt perfect. I'm glad I don't have to deal with them anymore. Eircom's dsl is far superior in every way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭chill

Originally posted by ando
    I was with Netsource for a few months... found them friendly to talk to, but thats about it. The service was woeful, the pings were unbelievable and download speeds needed a kick up the a$$. Disconnecting from them was not a huge ordeal but it wasnt perfect. I'm glad I don't have to deal with them anymore. Eircom's dsl is far superior in every way
    I used to test my speeds four times a day and tabulate the results but gave up weeks ago when the speed stayed steady at >450k/s. Morning afternoon eveninng and early morning - weekdays and weekends.
    Pings are irrelevant to legitimate NetSource customers and I have been constantly online since 1st October without a break....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Originally posted by chill

Pings are irrelevant to legitimate NetSource customers

huh? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Pings as in ICMP or pings as in latency? Both are pretty handy if you're a sysop...

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭fatguy

Originally posted by tuxx
    huh? :confused:

Netsource are a business ISP, they reluctantly agree to provide to home users if you badger them enough.

And right now the service is fantastic. The introduction of the download limit sorted the whole thing out. 30 pings, 50k/z downloads, and that's 24/7. I mock all of you that left because you didn't get instant results. 4GB/month! LOL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by fatguy
    Netsource are a business ISP, they reluctantly agree to provide to home users if you badger them enough.

And right now the service is fantastic. The introduction of the download limit sorted the whole thing out. 30 pings, 50k/z downloads, and that's 24/7. I mock all of you that left because you didn't get instant results. 4GB/month! LOL!

If anything, real time services are more important to business customers than home users... VoIP and video conferencing are rendered pretty much useless by high lag..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭deadduck

Anyone out there got any ideas on how i should proceed?

although netsource are crap, i didn't want this to just be a thread to slag them off. i am actually looking for some advice here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by fatguy
    I mock all of you that left because you didn't get instant results. 4GB/month! LOL!

INSTANT ??? I waited 5 bloody months. They 'fixed' the problem 3 times over them 5 months but the service went back to the way it was within a week or so each time. I don't give a toss about the cap. I dont come close to it as I don't download crap 24/7

Advertisement