Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ban from Web Hosting

Options
  • 14-11-2003 12:23pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

I've been banned from Web Hosting because of this post. I'd like to know why please.

adam
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Perhaps he felt you were a chronic pain in the arse. Did you PM The Corinthian?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Perhaps he felt you were a chronic pain in the arse.

Constructive commentary, as ever, from ecksor.

Did you PM The Corinthian?

Well, since he didn't PM me to tell me I had been banned or why, no I didn't. When he learns courtesy, I'll happily return it.

adam

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

<dahamsta> You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite.

<corinthian> *snap*

<dahamsta> OW! He fuckin' bit me!! Admins why did he bite me!?

corinthian should have PM'ed you but with the number of bitching/trolling/stirring "personalities" on that board I think he'd be all day writing them. I dont think you can claim he's biased, though, he's been banning left right and centre :)

DeV.

Perhaps you could quote a news article for us on how to post constructively.

On the note of TC, talk to him or stay on your high horse. He doesn't owe you anything. I just wish he'd ban sposs and blacknight too.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

...and that concludes the party political broadcast on behalf of the Blunt As Fuck party.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Originally posted by dahamsta
    I've been banned from Web Hosting because of this post. I'd like to know why please.

adam
    Although it's quite funny, it's also quite sad.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Originally posted by DeVore
    ...and that concludes the party political broadcast on behalf of the Blunt As Fuck party.

I wish to join this party
    I find your agenda to be intriguing and for the first time, it would appear I have found a party which fills the void of my particular political ideals

On the note of TC, talk to him

I am. If there's a legitimate reason for a ban, shouldn't a moderator should be able to explain it in public?

or stay on your high horse.

What high horse? I'm on a high horse because I ask a quesion?

I just wish he'd ban sposs and blacknight too.

Sposs is a muppet, so yes. I feel Blackight is just silly for rising to Sposs.

adam

Will Sposs and Blackknight ever get it together?
    Will DaHamsta murder The Corinthian?
    Will the web hosters ever stop trying to scratch each others eyes out?

TUNE IN NEXT WEEK FOR THE NEXT ENTHRALLING EPISODE OF:
    The Web Hosting Forum.

I'm not helping here, am I....

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Adam, if you want to scroll up from the post where I banned you, you’ll see you were given fair warning. If you don’t consider this as a legitimate reason then you have my sympathies, but I won’t be entertaining any further arguments from you.

I the last few months your criticisms and comments have degenerated from constructive to a downright nuisance. You seem to have adopted a God given right to complain, criticize, obstruct and just be a general pain in the ass. If you have a problem with how the board is moderated you should bring it up here with the Admins - however, to date you have done nothing other than bitch and snipe.

In short, while there is the possibility that you’re just trolling, my guess is you’re a crank. I’ve honestly come to the conclusion that you’re only posting on places like Boards because the national newspapers return your letters unopened nowadays. And frankly there’s enough muppetry on that board without entertaining yours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

DeVore, you should lead by example.....BAN YOURSELF :D

I think that boards will have to have a political party at some point as part of its natural evolution, but that's a few years off yet (unless they persist with e-voting which would do away with all that pesky canvassing).

Adam, if you want to scroll up from the post where I banned you, you’ll see you were given fair warning.

And if you want to scroll down to the post I replied to, you'll see that it was a reply to a post on the previous page. I hadn't seen your post when I was replying and I was banned by the time I got back to the thread. And as I mentioned, you didn't have the courtesy to PM to tell me I had in fact been banned, or the reasons behind it. I had to go back in a different browser to find your twisted logic.

If you don’t consider this as a legitimate reason then you have my sympathies

I very much doubt that, and no, I don't consider it a legitimate reason. Feedback /has/ been ignored, as evidenced by the utter lack of change on that board. The flame wars have been going on for months and /nothing/ has been done about it, apart from a few randomly-chosen bans for reasons that seem to depend on how funny or big it will make you feel.

If you have a problem with how the board is moderated you should bring it up here with the Admins - however, to date you have done nothing other than bitch and snipe.

I brought it up on the Web Hosting board in the hope that the moderation could be improved without having to bring it to the attention of the wider community. Obviously that wasn't working, so let me state it plainly: Your behaviour as moderator of the Web Hosting forum and your treatment of some posters - not just me - is personalised and biased. You're just not suited to moderating the hosting forum. The sooner you realise that and stand down, the better.

I’ve honestly come to the conclusion that you’re only posting on places like Boards because the national newspapers return your letters unopened nowadays.

Factually you're incorrect, because I only write to selected journalists that read and reply to my emails (I don't write many letters). Philosphically, you're just plain being an arsehole. There's a difference between calling someone's abilities as a mod into question and painting someone as a crank. Believe it or not, my intention was to improve the hosting forum. Your attitude to people trying to do that is just plain rude, something you seem to feel is a noble attribute.

adam

And if you want to scroll down to the post I replied to, you'll see that it was a reply to a post on the previous page.

Replying on a thread when you haven't read all the replies is a sure way to generate noise. It's also poor etiquette, which I shouldn't have to tell a conscientious netizen such as yourself.
    I very much doubt that, and no, I don't consider it a legitimate reason. Feedback /has/ been ignored, as evidenced by the utter lack of change on that board.

Or it could mean that your idea of improvement isn't shared.
    Your behaviour as moderator of the Web Hosting forum and your treatment of some posters - not just me - is personalised and biased. You're just not suited to moderating the hosting forum. The sooner you realise that and stand down, the better.

This sort of outburst is out of line. I haven't seen anything on the Mod forum or the Admin forum about your opinions on this matter (although if we'd done nothing about them we'd have been guilty of ignoring you I suppose).

The Corinthian has my support.
    Factually you're incorrect, because I only write to selected journalists that read and reply to my emails (I don't write many letters).

Who can find the time these days when spamming every bulletin board and mailing list in the country.

Philosphically, you're just plain being an arsehole.

Philosophically?

Is there any reason why I shouldn't ban you from this forum for that remark?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

Dahamsta, just ban The Corinthian from South and Windows. Bit of tit for tat banning :D

ModWars - "Dahamsta Strikes Back"

D.

The Corinthian has my support.

Who can find the time these days when spamming every bulletin board and mailing list in the country.

And you're not in the least bit biased. The problem here is that both yourself and The Corinthian have a problem with me because I fight my corner and you don't like to see people standing up to you. There's a word for that.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't ban you from this forum for that remark?

So calling someone a crank is ok but calling them an arsehole isn't? Banning just because you don't like or agree with someone seems to be par for the course today, so I suppose you'll do it anyway? And in much the same vein, I suppose it's ok for me to ban anyone I feel like from the forums I moderate?

[Dazberry, I thought of that earlier, but I'm not going to sink to that level. I'm serious here, I think this ban is totally uncalled for and I've genuinely had enough of TC's handling of the hosting board. My alternative is to just not visit there, but why the hell should I have to do that?]

adam

And you're not in the least bit biased. The problem here is that both yourself and The Corinthian have a problem with me because I fight my corner and you don't like to see people standing up to you. There's a word for that.

It's like this. You've been a pest on Web Hosting, you got banned, boo bloody hoo.
    Banning just because you don't like or agree with someone seems to be par for the course today, so I suppose you'll do it anyway?

No, you're out of order on this thread name-calling, passing judgement on Mods and demanding justice. Crank may not be a nice word, but 'arsehole' is definitely offside imo.

If our decisions/opinions go your way then we're doing the right thing, otherwise you're being persecuted and/or ignored, am I up to speed here?

It's like this. You've been a pest on Web Hosting, you got banned, boo bloody hoo.

The poster above you has been a consistent pest too. He's caused several of the flame wars recently with blatent trolling, yet he hasn't been banned because TC seems to think it's funny. Like I said, inconsistent, personalised.

No, you're out of order on this thread name-calling

Seems to be ok for everyone else?

passing judgement on Mods

It's against the rules to say someone's a bad moderator? Point that one out to me in the official Mods Charter there will you?

and demanding justice.

If justice is getting an unfair ban lifted, then so be it.

Crank may not be a nice word, but 'arsehole' is definitely offside imo.

I find "crank" extremely offensive. It's a personal attack.

If our decisions/opinions go your way then we're doing the right thing, otherwise you're being persecuted and/or ignored, am I up to speed here?

I won't even dignify that with an answer.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

At the start of this thread i laughed a little. But at the end i feel compelled to say "i'm on adam's side" which is what i am saying. HOWEVER i do feel that TC and ecksor are being a little bit biased. I think it's an old case of "Admins sit on the reds stools, everyone else sits on the yellow ones". if you catch my drift.

I still love you ecksor :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

The poster above you has been a consistent pest too.

I agree :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Atreides

From reading the above, and posts on the other thread, and allot of threads in general.

dahamsta: saying everybody else is doing it so why can't I, is no defence, and trying to releave your own wrong doings by pointing out others is also no defence. You probably deserved the ban, in the same way mainy others probably deserved the ban, but didn't get it. People are human and not perfect.

ecksor: Has no people people skills.

sposs's signature annoys me so I've blocked all scripts,gifs and flash animation. Also means I've blocked your nice banned adds.

Whats my Signature got to do with Dahamsta being banned form the web hosting forum? :confused:

dahamsta: saying everybody else is doing it so why can't I, is no defence, and trying to releave your own wrong doings by pointing out others is also no defence.

I accept this Skanger and I usually try to avoid getting into this kind of petty flame war whenever possible. However this is an exceptional case: People have been trying to get the web hosting board changed for months now, and patience and considered discussion is simply not paying off. I've become impatient and intolerant because of this and although I don't like it, I'm not particularly regretful.

You probably deserved the ban, in the same way mainy others probably deserved the ban, but didn't get it. People are human and not perfect.

I don't think I did deserve the ban and I'd like to see it lifted but even if it is, that won't correct the underlying problem. This isn't a case of occasional human error, it's an ongoing problem with the hosting board that's been created by inconsistent and heavy-handed moderation.

Myself and ecksor have crossed paths in the past and (presuming I'm not banned outright) will cross paths again in the future. I don't think he particularly likes me and I don't have a problem with that as long as it doesn't transfer to his treatment of posters. I'm not sure that delineation is happening in this case.

adam

You have an opinion and thats a dangerous thing. I've noticed certain people will always get a hard time off certain other people no matter what the situation, trying to explain why is point less. What you said was impolite and incosiderate. If the standard of decorum on the forum is such that these things would call for a ban then the moderator was right, otherwise he still has the right to ban you and you still have the right to call for a reprive. Anyother day, anyother forum you probably wouldn't have been banned. You probably wouldn't ban someone yourself for such comments, But I've learnt a long time ago that trying to hold others to your level of prefessionalism is only going to lead to disappointment.

Sposs your sig is designed purely to scare people who don't know better, which says alot about your own character, which was brought into the topic of discussion.

Its the same sign as about 10 other users on boards , don't worry skanger it doesn't bite :D

It also doesn't show up for me as I've it blocked.

What you said was impolite and incosiderate. If the standard of decorum on the forum is such that these things would call for a ban

I'm not sure if you're mixing the discussion here with the discussion on web hosting Skanger, and I notice that this is being discussed on WH too, so I want to clear up what this ban is all about in case people haven't looked. I was warned for this:
    Happens every time. It's a cycle. Polite conversation, troll and/or pimping, flame war, suggested rule change, feedback ignored, rinse and repeat.
    This refers to chewb's assertion that s/he thought things were going to change in the WH forum. The problems have been going on in that forum now for months yet no changes have been made. TC suggests that changes haven't been made because any time the problems come up for discussion, the threads descend into flamewars, which is entirely correct.

So ok, maybe the feedback isn't being "ignored", but it certainly isn't being acted on. Isn't the different rather trite? And is the suggestion that feedback was being ignored really all that impolite or inconsiderate? Plus of course it's important to add that if TC is going to continue to deal with the suggestion flame wars by locking threads and/or banning people, the forum is never going to change.

Now, this is what I was banned for:
    I don't think the Web Hosting board was intended to be the Boards.ie Big Brother nahdoic. And although it's quite funny, it's also quite sad.
    This was in response to nahdoic's comment, jokingly made, that he only goes to the hosting forum to see who TC is going to ban next. He made a joke, and I followed up with a little joke of my own, with a serious undertone. It is quite funny in my view, and also very sad. It wasn't intended as impolite or inconsiderate, it was intended as a basic observation.

TC will probably say that I was banned because I failed to shut up, and if I had seen his warning that would be fair enough, but I didn't see his warning, and more importantly the warning was misplaced in the first place.

adam

Ah now adam thats not exactly the full story now is it...

In between the first joke and your reply the Mod finally lost his patience and posted a "Shut up and back on topic or there'll be bans before bedtime" post.

You say you didnt see that... ok. Accepting that you should have PM'ed TC and asked why you were banned. Instead you are turning a molehill into a drama, which isnt out of character for the personalities involved imho.

From TC's point of view, he warned people and you snubbed it. He then made an example of you as he has Sposs, Tom... even Boards.ie's own hosts once.

I'm inclined to think that while TC operates a pretty brutal "Fire and Forget" approach, anything else and we'd be up to our ears in trouble with that forum. As it is it has crossed my mind to close it completely just to save us all the hassle.

There are 8-10 hair-pulling, eye scratching vixens on that forum who seem to enjoy the Melrose Place drama of that particular industries past. I would tend to support a "zero tolerance" policy.

If you guys want though... and if TC is happy with the idea... I'll mod that forum for a week and we can see what sort of fun we can have :)

c[_] <
    Storm.

DeV.

Myself and ecksor have crossed paths in the past and (presuming I'm not banned outright) will cross paths again in the future. I don't think he particularly likes me and I don't have a problem with that as long as it doesn't transfer to his treatment of posters. I'm not sure that delineation is happening in this case.

I haven't banned you from anywhere. What I have done is pointed out where your behaviour could get you banned. We have crossed paths on this occasion because you posted here criticising a Moderator. My like or dislike of you is secondary to the fact that you've been agitating the WH board, for which you got banned, which is at The Corinthian's discretion.

By your own admission you didn't raise your concerns outside of the WH forum when your patience and considered discussion didn't get you anywhere. So you decided to take a more annoying approach? That's rubbish. The closest that we have to due process in that case is to post on this forum, or the Admin forum, and raise your ideas/concerns. (I don't believe that you were getting nowhere btw. The recent thread about changes appeared to be gaining support. Not my support, but you can't have everything).

So, I don't think you have a leg to stand on, and I support The Corinthian. Why shouldn't I?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by DeVore
    If you guys want though... and if TC is happy with the idea... I'll mod that forum for a week and we can see what sort of fun we can have :)
    Great timing ;)

I'm off to Oz and the far east for 2 - 3 weeks from the 22nd. So I'll gladly take you up on your offer to watch the twins while I'm away...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement