Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ban from Web Hosting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Have fun :)

I think i'll give up trolling until your back :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

cool... should be a laff a minute!

I'm not banning anyone from the Italian board though... dont fancy any horses heads at the foot of my bed :)

DeV.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by DeVore
    You say you didnt see that... ok. Accepting that you should have PM'ed TC and asked why you were banned.
    Or TC should have PMed me to explain why. I certainly can't see any logic behind the ban given the relative innocence of the comments. Seriously, look at them and tell me they're a banning offense. If you can do that with a straight face, more power to you. If not, then half the board should be banned.

Instead you are turning a molehill into a drama, which isnt out of character for the personalities involved imho.

Fair point, I'm reactionary. But I don't think I'm turning it into a "drama", I'm trying to raise an issue here -- two issues in fact: a) the banning was totally out of order; and b) the WH forum isn't working, can we get it fixed please?

I'm inclined to think that while TC operates a pretty brutal "Fire and Forget" approach, anything else and we'd be up to our ears in trouble with that forum.

Because the board is borked. Fix the board and these problems won't arise any more. Cure the cause, not the symptom, style of fing.

As it is it has crossed my mind to close it completely just to save us all the hassle.

Or you could do that.

If you guys want though... and if TC is happy with the idea... I'll mod that forum for a week and we can see what sort of fun we can have

Won't make any difference. At the moment, the WH board is like a school with all the classes lumped into one; which will obviously lead to bullying and chaos. You don't send Rambo in to fix that, you separate out the classes and make sure everybody has somewhere they feel comfortable.

adam

Originally posted by ecksor
    you've been agitating the WH board, for which you got banned
    How have I been agitating exactly?

By your own admission you didn't raise your concerns outside of the WH forum

I just did. Hello?

adam

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I dont know what school you went to but I can tell you if Rambo walked in our classroom door, we'd have shut the fuck up pretty fast.

I wont be giving out week bans. I cant be arsed having to unban after a week...

You say the board is broken... how do you figure and whats your suggestion (if you can keep this to 35,000 words or less that would be great).

Oh and this would be me addressing your concerns. I suppose we'll get no credit for this, it is after all our jobs...

DeV.

• Advertisement

I dont know what school you went to but I can tell you if Rambo walked in our classroom door, we'd have shut the fuck up pretty fast.

And as soon as he walked out the door, you'd be piling tables up and roaring and screaming again. It was probably a bad example though, so let's get back to the original point: Shouldn't the goal be to have the forum operate in such a way that it doesn't /need/ this kind of moderation?

You say the board is broken... how do you figure and whats your suggestion (if you can keep this to 35,000 words or less that would be great).

I've made suggestions a dozen times in WH, as have others, and as far as I can remember they were all pretty simple. My basic suggestion is to try and keep industry discussions/enquiries separate from individual discussions/enquiries as much as possible. Several ways of doing this have been suggested, such splitting into two forums, creating a subforum, or just simply moving individual enquiries to Webmaster.

Oh and this would be me addressing your concerns.

Which I appreciate.

I suppose we'll get no credit for this, it is after all our jobs...

But I thought it was all about the community DeV? :)

adam

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Originally posted by dahamsta

By your own admission you didn't raise your concerns outside of the WH forum

I just did. Hello?

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭chewb

As I have done on WH, I too agree mostly with adam. IMHO his opinion is as valid as anyone elses, and did not warrant a ban.

I also agree with him that Corinthian needs to go. He is unable to keep his ego out of WH, and in a position of power (as he is being the moderator) he abuses it. I suspect his other job might be as a bouncer. I think Corithian banned him for the same reason why a dog licks his b****x.

Originally posted by chewb
    As I have done on WH, I too agree mostly with adam. IMHO his opinion is as valid as anyone elses, and did not warrant a ban.

TC is currently explaining to you the difference between an opinion and a snide remark on the Web Hosting forum, so I won't repeat the explanation here.
    I also agree with him that Corinthian needs to go.

Duly noted.

You are correct. TC has been ramming his bizarre logic down my throat on WH all afternoon. And he can, cos he's a mod.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by dahamsta

And as soon as he walked out the door, you'd be piling tables up and roaring and screaming again. It was probably a bad example though, so let's get back to the original point: Shouldn't the goal be to have the forum operate in such a way that it doesn't /need/ this kind of moderation?

You'd think that mature business people could act that way alright.

What I've seen to date in there makes it look like the old CS forum at times...

I've made suggestions a dozen times in WH, as have others, and as far as I can remember they were all pretty simple.

Organisation of Boards is OFFTOPIC in the forums and you know that as well as anyone. This is the forum for reorganisation threads as you can see from other threads here.

My basic suggestion is to try and keep industry discussions/enquiries separate from individual discussions/enquiries as much as possible. Several ways of doing this have been suggested, such splitting into two forums, creating a subforum, or just simply moving individual enquiries to Webmaster.

Didnt the industry organise its own industry forum and hosted it off-site somewhere else? What happened??? Oh yeah, it was still born it seems.

Oh and this would be me addressing your concerns.

Which I appreciate.

I suppose we'll get no credit for this, it is after all our jobs...

But I thought it was all about the community DeV? :)

adam

And what part of this debate isnt? You are having your say (again) here. I'm not just backing TC ... I've said I thought he should have PM'ed you but by and large he does a good job on a tough forum. Havent we taken on your opinions before?

If you've got something to say about my "community" focus, any time you want to spit it out you neednt hold back :)

The problem isnt **** its the people who think its cool to score points on the opposition.

Like that makes me want to do business with them.... :rolleyes:

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

/me hands out the big orange happy pills :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

And he can, cos he's a mod.
    Please explain that. Go on.

I have already explained it, and I am not repeating myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

The webhosting forums like some kinda peacock strutting arena at this stage. No matter what thread it turns into a bitchy tense ego match.

I think in the webhosting forum all those who work for or own a webhosting company should make their allegiances known in the various threads besides them making snide and unclear digs at each other.

They also seem to have to have the last word in every thread and it ends up with threads populated with stupid crap thats not constructive to the thread.

I have already explained it, and I am not repeating myself.
    In both threads, here and on the Web Hosting board, I have explained my position ad nauseum. Now regardless of whether you agree with it or not is frankly irrelevant to you now accusing me of “ramming” this down your thought only because I’m a “mod”.

So please explain how I’ve subjected you to this using my evil ‘modly’ powers, or just even point to where you claim to have explained it - otherwise, stop talking through your arse.

As much as you want me to, I'm not spoonfeeding you.

You prove me right time after time: your last post still shows your inability to make a post without being condescending and abusive.

As much as you want me to, I'm not spoonfeeding you.
    In other words you were talking out of your arse.
    You prove me right time after time: your last post still shows your inability to make a post without being condescending and abusive.
    And refusing to spoonfeed me is not either condescending or abusive? :rolleyes:

Talking about you. Not me. And you're *still* at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

As a regular poster to the WebHosting board I would like to simply say that Corinthian has my full support.

His moderation of the board has always been objective and fair imho.

• Advertisement

Further to a recent thread on WH, Blacknight, you have a vested interest, as you own a webhosting company.

Webhosting companies have been served rather well by WH, as the Corinthian will lock threads on the request of an owner if the owner doesn't like the content of the thread.

Further to a recent thread on WH, Blacknight, you have a vested interest, as you own a webhosting company.
    I've never denied or hidden that. My signature, handle and the fact that we have a CIB here are well known.

Webhosting companies have been served rather well by WH, as the Corinthian will lock threads on the request of an owner if the owner doesn't like the content of the thread.
    That's a rather broad and totally unfounded statement.
    If that were the case then a lot of recent threads would have been 'nuked' very early in their 'lives'.

Blacknight, as you know, I personally have had a thread nuked at the behest of the owner of the webhosting company in question.

Chewb, do you have some vested interest in this? Why are you so strident?

All I've heard so far is whinging and moaning, mostly by people who have been slapped.

Right, you've had your "feedback"... any actual constructive "suggestions"?

DeV.

Blacknight, as you know, I personally have had a thread nuked at the behest of the owner of the webhosting company in question.

If you had read the sticky at the top of the board prior to posting that wouldn't have happened.

Over 12 months ago when the board was first setup we (hosts and boards' community) spent a couple of weeks debating the rules and regulations of the new board.
    One of the rules that was close to the top of the list at the time was that attacks on specific companies that had provided channels of communication, both electronic and otherwise, should not be made.
    This was basically to avoid the case of somebody posting to boards BEFORE contacting the host in question.
    Hosting365 offers a 1800 number
    Host.ie has a low call
    We have a standard telephone number
    If you take the three companies mentioned above, their representatives are never hard to contact.

IF, however, somebody posts to the WH board without having clearly exhausted other channels The Corinthian or Keeks would be expected to lock or nuke the thread, in accordance with the board's rules.

I really don't like repeating myself... it slows down progress too much. As I have said clearly on WH, no, I do not have a vested interest.

Suggestions:
    1. As I have stated already, I and others do feel Corinthian needs to go.
    2. Set up a proper complaints procedure agianst mods. A forum for bitching about them is not an answer.

*Some* mods are "muppets" (it's a fact of life), and as the Corinthian says, we should not pander to "muppets".

Blacknight- check your PM.

Talking about you. Not me. And you're *still* at it.
    You accuse me of condescending and abusive while refusing to spoonfeed me - which is a fairly condescending thing to say. Surely you would have to admit that is a rather hypocritical of you?

As for what you would spoonfeed me with, I’ll be blunt: If you cannot reference where I have “been ramming [my] bizarre logic down my throat on WH all afternoon” because I am a mod, then you are either mistaken or bluffing. Your evasive refusals to back up your accusation are simply reinforcing the conclusion that you are in fact bluffing.
    A thread was started by you attacking one of the hosting companies, which you claimed to be a client of, that frequents the WH board. It is my understanding that not only did you begin that thread without making any serious attempt to contact the company directly with your problem, but have refused to do so subsequently.

Other than the WH board not being here as a channel for customer support, your motives and affiliations are quite suspect given that you have failed to communicate your complaint known to the hosting company in question directly, even though they have invited you to do so repeatedly.

I really don't like repeating myself...

I have no idea what you mean, although I think I've read all of the threads in question. Your complaint seems to be that what you call opinion is deemed to be trolling by The Corinthian (or some such). If that is not your position, can you please repeat it or link to where it was uttered.

Otherwise I don't see how you're going to get anything done, or get a straight answer. Your posts appear to communicate a feeling of being downtrodden and insulted because of the lack of progress on your requests.

As for your feedback,

1. Why does The Corinthian need to go? Just because you feel it and someone else feels it doesn't make it a good idea. Considering the amount of irritation and playacting going on on there I think he has been very tolerant. Trust me, if you all had myself moderating you'd know what the moderation of an intolerant bastid was actually like.
    2. The complaints procedure seems OK to me. Not perfect, but very little can be when dealing with such things. Transparency is good in these matters I think, although people can always send private messages I suppose. Who exactly did you complain to when your thread was deleted? (so we can examine how you think the procedure fails).

Other than the WH board not being here as a channel for customer support, your motives and affiliations are quite suspect given that you have failed to communicate your complaint known to the hosting company in question directly, even though they have invited you to do so repeatedly.
    Little do you know! And since you have locked the thread I feel no need to inform you.
    spoonfeed me - which is a fairly condescending thing to say
    Get over it and move on. You've said it enough times already.
    Why does The Corinthian need to go? Just because you feel it and someone else feels it doesn't make it a good idea
    Does it make it a bad idea?
    The complaints procedure seems OK to me. Not perfect, but very little can be when dealing with such things.
    Is that a reason not to try?
    Who exactly did you complain to when your thread was deleted?
    Corinthian

• Advertisement

Does it make it a bad idea?

No, but that proves nothing. Are you trying to argue your case here or are you going to persist in just being an irritant who can't give a straight answer?
    Is that a reason not to try?

Try for perfection? We can try for improvement, and the first step towards that is to find out what's wrong with the current process. Which leads me back to my question, which you ignored. Who exactly did you complain to when your thread was deleted?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement