Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ban from Web Hosting

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Originally posted by chewb
    Who exactly did you complain to when your thread was deleted?

Corinthian

Ok, so you just overlooked the question first time.

The appropriate thing to do is to escalate to the Admin forums, such as this one or Admin / Support. I don't recall you doing that, but correct me if I'm wrong. Or you could have involved an Admin directly via private communication, did you do that?

Don't do a dahamsta on it and claim that you're doing it now while simultaneously talking about how it doesn't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Little do you know! And since you have locked the thread I feel no need to inform you.
    You’ve been nothing other than contradictory and evasive to date. I’ve challenged you on discrepancies in your arguments and you refuse to back them up.

So I should feel no need to believe you.
    Get over it and move on. You've said it enough times aleady.
    Then don’t get on a moral high horse and accuse me of being condescending and abusive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭chewb

The appropriate thing to do is to escalate to the Admin forums, such as this one or Admin / Support. I don't recall you doing that, but correct me if I'm wrong. Or you could have involved an Admin directly via private communication, did you do that?
    Noted for future reference. I realise now that PMing the mod was not the correct thing to do. Apologies for not knowing the correct channels.
    We can try for improvement,
    Are you going to? A "yes" or "no" is enough for me.
    Then don’t get on a moral high horse and accuse me of being condescending and abusive.
    Just treating you like you treat others...

Are you going to? A "yes" or "no" is enough for me.

If you or anyone else has any constructive suggestions to make then we will consider them.
    Just treating you like you treat others...

Now that we have established that you don't have any reasons for wanting The Corinthian out, and that you haven't actually tried the escalation process, and that dahamsta ain't getting unbanned any time soon or getting any sympathy from us, can we stop the bitching and sniping?

The Corinthian doesn't think you have a case, and I agree. Unless anyone cares to bring an actual complaint or evidence to show that I'm mistaken, then this thread is getting locked real soon now.

I made suggestions. They're been shot down. Close the thread. I don't care anymore. Dahamsta was right...

• Advertisement

I made suggestions. They're been shot down.

Fair enough, but when I asked for justification I don't recall getting any. Did I miss something?
    Close the thread. I don't care anymore.

Ok, but I'll hold you to that the next time you have a complaint to make about that forum.
    Dahamsta was right...

:rolleyes:

Answer the question please: are you going to try to improve the complaints procedure? As I said, yes or no will do fine.

I've answered this. When you have actually used the procedure and have some feedback on it, then you can post it here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by DeVore
    What I've seen to date in there makes it look like the old CS forum at times...
    A comparison that came to mind several times in this thread.

Organisation of Boards is OFFTOPIC in the forums and you know that as well as anyone. This is the forum for reorganisation threads as you can see from other threads here.

That's definitely true for new forums, but the majority of reorganisation discussions I've seen have taken place in their respective forums: WH in WH, IrelandOffline in IrelandOffline, For Sale in For Sale. I'm not saying it wouldn't be a good thing to have those discussions in here, with a sticky in the relevant forum linked here, but that's not how it's been happening in practice.

Didnt the industry organise its own industry forum and hosted it off-site somewhere else? What happened??? Oh yeah, it was still born it seems.

I've already commented on that in WH. As I said, I don't go there because I already have a full complement of forums and mailing lists, as ecksor so snidely pointed out earlier (thanks for the word TC, perfect fit). If it was part of Boards, I would obviously be more inclined to visit.
    DeVore: I suppose we'll get no credit for this, it is after all our jobs...
    dahamsta: But I thought it was all about the community DeV? :)
    DeVore: And what part of this debate isnt?
    Posted in jest DeVore. You were having a good laugh for yourself earlier, I thought I'd have a go.

You are having your say (again) here.

Why "again" DeVore? Is there's a problem with me speaking my mind on how Boards should be run? Is there a limit to the number of times I'm allowed to do that? Am I a "crank" if I do it more than five times? Ten times?

I spend a lot of time here because I enjoy communicating with people, I like answering questions and I like being able to get answers to my own questions. That creates a vested interest for me, one that I want to protect.

If you think my attempts to help out - because that's what they are, and I've never asked for credit either - are hindering Boards, you say so right now and I won't do it again. You have my word on this.

I'm not just backing TC ... I've said I thought he should have PM'ed you but by and large he does a good job on a tough forum.

No, he doesn't. If he was doing a good job, we wouldn't be here.

If you've got something to say about my "community" focus, any time you want to spit it out you neednt hold back :)

Like I said, it was a joke. You made a joke - I presume - about not getting credit, about it being your job; I made a joke about it being all about the community, because that's what you've told us over and over again that it's all about. Obviously it wasn't a very good joke.

The problem isnt **** its the people who think its cool to score points on the opposition.

That's like blaming the kids for not behaving in front of Teacher. If Teacher can't handle the class, Teach shouldn't be teaching. In this case, Teach has thrown out the nerd who was trying to help and given the class fool a lolly. (Although I see the class fool finally got thrown out yesterday. Given the fool's inability to change, I hope it's a permanant ban.)

Like that makes me want to do business with them....

I thought you already did. I do too. I don't know your deal with that particular company so my investment might pale in comparison, but at the moment I'm throwing a grand and a half at one of those companies a year, and the boss seems to think it's ok for one of his employees to smartmouth me on a public forum. Let me tell you right here and now: It won't happen again.

adam

Ecksor: That's not answering the question... why do you need me to go thru the procedure before you will consider changing it? There seems to be plenty of evidence here already that people are not happy with it.

Why does everything here have to be an uphill struggle? The posters on boards are your customers: without them boards cannot exist, but yet suggestions to change something get a holier-than-thou reception, and a air of hostility. Suggestions that a mod might be wrong receive the same, along with placing the burden of proof on the person that first said it (where did I say this? where did you say that? etc), even tho the evidence is there for all to see.

WH is a laughing stock and a side show, as pointed out in comments from lurkers: the only reason they read it is to see who TC is going to ban next. At one stage over a quarter of all threads had been locked. And the bannings and lockings are done in the most arrogant of way. School children might accept that treatment but most adults do not like being subjected to the killing machine at this point in their life, and that attitude serves to get their backs up.

Looking through the various forums I read, most of the mods are good at what they do. Some are not. And like in life, their bosses should know those that are not good at their jobs either need training, or a warning, or to be replaced.

Now, I've said my piece, and you'll either listen to a "customer" or you won't.

• Advertisement

Why does everything here have to be an uphill struggle? The posters on boards are your customers: without them boards cannot exist, but yet suggestions to change something get a holier-than-thou reception, and a air of hostility.

If you make suggestions with arguments to back them up and leave out the flames towards whoever you happen to have the problem with, then I will pay more attention.
    Suggestions that a mod might be wrong receive the same, along with placing the burden of proof on the person that first said it (where did I say this? where did you say that? etc), even tho the evidence is there for all to see.

Actually, I think that's where the burden of proof should lie, and even if I didn't, The Corinthian hasn't been shy about making specific references to back up his points.
    And like in life, their bosses should know those that are not good at their jobs either need training, or a warning, or to be replaced.

We are not The Corinthian's boss any more than you are our customer.
    Now, I've said my piece, and you'll either listen to a "customer" or you won't.

I'm not listening to demands and suggestions without the accompanying reasoning and justification, which has been lacking, and which you think we shouldn't need to see. Which appears to close that case.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Organisation of Boards is OFFTOPIC in the forums and you know that as well as anyone. This is the forum for reorganisation threads as you can see from other threads here.

That's definitely true for new forums, but the majority of reorganisation discussions I've seen have taken place in their respective forums: WH in WH, IrelandOffline in IrelandOffline, For Sale in For Sale. I'm not saying it wouldn't be a good thing to have those discussions in here, with a sticky in the relevant forum linked here, but that's not how it's been happening in practice.

In those cases they are non-combatative. WH has rearranged its own rules by collective agreement too. When strife breaks out, it gets settled here.

Didnt the industry organise its own industry forum and hosted it off-site somewhere else? What happened??? Oh yeah, it was still born it seems.

I've already commented on that in WH. As I said, I don't go there because I already have a full complement of forums and mailing lists, as ecksor so snidely pointed out earlier (thanks for the word TC, perfect fit). If it was part of Boards, I would obviously be more inclined to visit.

Then why didnt you request it as normal. Are you saying you didnt know about the private forum request proceedure?

Posted in jest DeVore. You were having a good laugh for yourself earlier, I thought I'd have a go.

Mine didnt target you specifically. Oh yeah *and* they were funny. :)

You are having your say (again) here.

Why "again" DeVore? Is there's a problem with me speaking my mind on how Boards should be run? Is there a limit to the number of times I'm allowed to do that? Am I a "crank" if I do it more than five times? Ten times?

As often as you like. I'm just pointing out that for all your "you arent listening to me" moans, we have taken on suggestions of yours before.
    I'm not just backing TC ... I've said I thought he should have PM'ed you but by and large he does a good job on a tough forum.

Then this is where we have a difference of opinion.

The problem isnt **** its the people who think its cool to score points on the opposition.

That's like blaming the kids for not behaving in front of Teacher. If Teacher can't handle the class, Teach shouldn't be teaching.

Err... you arent kids. I dont expect TC to have to "control" anyone.

If you (plural) cant sit with the grownups then you have to be put outside.
    This is a public school...noone has to suffer any of your (plural) messing.
    Like that makes me want to do business with them....

I thought you already did. I do too. I don't know your deal with that particular company so my investment might pale in comparison, but at the moment I'm throwing a grand and a half at one of those companies a year, and the boss seems to think it's ok for one of his employees to smartmouth me on a public forum. Let me tell you right here and now: It won't happen again.

adam

Fine, you make your own decisions. In fact, why dont you write them a letter and explain how you feel. You see their Public Relations Officer... NOT MY JOB! :)

We've banned people from H365 before. I've just had a right flame with one of them on a list. On the other hand they do a grand job hosting us. It was made clear at the start that the deal did not include any favouritism and I think if you asked them they'd tell you they sure as hell havent seen any.

This has nothing to do with the question at hand.

Can you or chewbacca there summarise your points?
    Oh and chewie... the answer is "no". I'm perfectly happy with the complaints system here.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Unless you’re a crank, in which case you’d be here anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

This is just going around in circles. Corinthian, get bent. Ecksor, you can ban me now. G'luck.

adam

the answer is "no". I'm perfectly happy with the complaints system here.
    DeLorean- finally, an answer! Ecksor wasn't able to answer...

BTW, who's the chewie/chewbacca you're referring to?

Ecksor, you can ban me now.

I suspect that the wheel shall keep turning.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement