Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Problem with Electric Window

Options
  • 14-11-2003 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi.

I opened my drivers door window last week and the window wouldnt come back up on its own. It seems to be getting stuck. You can hear the motor try to push it up.

The window has a saftey mechanism that causes the window to drop if something gets in its way so because it seems to stick, it goes back down. I have to use two hands, one hand on outside and one on inside and have someone else engage the close button. With a bit of force it goes up.

Anyway my dealer garage wants to book the car in. I cant help think he will rip me off. Is there somewhere else I can take it and anyone know what price I should pay to get it fixed ? I understand it may be hard to know since you dont know whats wrong with it.

I was planning to look at it myself but I cant figure out how to get the door panel off.

Its an Audi A3 1999 2 door.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

Never took the door of an audi before, but any other car i have done is the same (ford mits toyota renault), Basically you will find about 3 or 4 screws hidden around the door, usually under plastic caps or in handles, take them out. Then you have to gently but firmly pull the door covering (plastic/carpety bit) away from the metal of the door starting in one corner. You will see a load of plastic clips hold it in place. You could try for a haynes for the car it would tell you how to take it off. ANyway for electric windows, it's always (nearly) one of 2 things, the first very expensive is that the motor is shagged and cant lift the window anymore. The more common one is that some dirt is stuck on the rails or the mechanism needs greased up.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭shurl

Hmmm,
    I'm not to sure if this will help, but I remember there being a problem with Audi/VW windows in early cars.

It was being talked about (alot) on the US Volkswagen forum

VW Forum

Sorry no specific links, you will have to do a search.

Start in the MK4 forum..

Hope that helps.

S.

Advertisement