Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield 1916

Options
  • 14-11-2003 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

This came up 'off topic' in another thread but sounded interesting! A Battlefield map based on the rising in Dublin 1916? Conquest map with GPO as one Base... etc. Think it would make a good map if anyone one on boards is a dab hand at modding in battlefield 1942?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

The idea of turnin the 1916 lads into deathmatch cannon fodder dos'nt sit right with me. Have to admit tho,Id like to see the Dublin city of that time in 3d. Like Mafia did with 1930s new york.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

there was a few dod maps like that floating around, but a bf one would be much better. cant see the irish having many vechiles though.;

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Falgorn

Maybe no vehicles, but lots of fortified positions (only fortified facing the aggressors) and also have Dublin Castle aswell as GPO, there close enough to go on one map anyway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

I've always wanted to run through a well textured, accurately scaled 3D map of Dublin city center, (College Green into Westmoreland street across the bridge onto O'Connell (Sackville? :) ) street, with some adjoining parrelel streets/lanes on O'Connell), however, everytime there's a suggestion like this it seems to be done really badly or just forgotton about. Shame really.

...maybe BF1942 will be the one...

Luc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

Yeah, wouldn't be many good vehicles but,
    You could have bonuses for turning against and killing your own leaders................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

well theres never really been a suitable engine to make a proper model of dublin [or any other] city, for example the hl engine just dies if the word outdoors is even mentioned.

but bf would be perfect.

/me lays back and waits for someone else to do the work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Although ye're suggestions seem great , they have given me a better idea

what about ...........................limerick 2003.......
    your could have loads of vehicles , dyna's , jeeps, squadcars,2 helicopters . and loads of weapons .
    Might need more than 1 map though , maybe a courthouse one , a night-time estate one and a sourrounding countryside one .

just an idea .:D
    john.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

and a great idea at that.

much more potential

imagine the fun you would have replacing all the sound files, to 'howrye' 'gerin me motor' 'i'll baaher ew' and instead of ammo crates you could have Dutch Gold crates...

Oooh, and instead of getting killed you got arrested.. course you would have to reduce the respawn times for that to seem realistic....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Wouldn't d'Islandfield be a better name than Limerickfield? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Irish_Kamikaze

Stab city wud make a great bf map all you need to do is change the voices of modiles to muccer lingo and the put a few thugs running around drunk stabbing 14,15 and 16 year olds.

i can see it now a big pile of crap muddled up to make a city and they cud hav new weapons like the pitch fork and a pick axe!!

And as for the cars they cud all be ladas and morris minors!!

hahahha!!:D :D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

The 1916 idea has been around every game thats moddable for years, noone has actually put one together fully.
    Bf would be good and very easy to do (easier than q3 anyway).
    UNreal wouldnt be a bad engine to do it either.

Noobs try www.bf1942.com and start modding away you could be the next Frank Delise :)

kdjac

It is nice that most of you wud like to make a map for bf but even if you all decide on make a 1916. Who is the expert that will eventualy make this map? I think its a great idea but no one in their right mind will spend more than a month building this map. its going to require hours and hours, weeks and weeks and maybe even months.

Winters is the only person i think that has the knowledge to do it but i dont think he wud!

Maybe if we all write a letter to the bf1942 crew give them our idea and see what they have to say on the matter!!!

Lets hope they say YYYYYYYEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS:D :D:D

:( :rolleyes: :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Originally posted by Irish_Kamikaze
    Winters is the only person i think that has the knowledge to do it but i dont think he wud!

Yes. I wouldn't.

Lets hope they say YYYYYYYEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS:D :D:D

They would say no. And laugh.

loudly.
    Then get back to work on BF:Vietnam :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

yeah that would be pretty cool alright just for the novelty and pure nostalgicness either idea sounds good. wish i knew how to make maps

;) Go on winters give it a shot try and make a map that has something to do with the 1916 uprising? Or if not start up a tread on how to make a map and go about make'n a replica of the four courts!!:p I think some one will eventualy give it a shot. but cus we wud hav to make it the Irish vs the British i dont know how some one cud make the new models. So just put it the Japs Vs British as there are more Japs here than Irish anyway.

Plz:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

;) thx for replying on my tread in the CS section.;) :D

Your the only one that didn't say some thing stupid!!!ww)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

Whats the point?

The British won overwhelmingly.
    It could never be accurate. It would suit Call of Duty more to have this mod anyway i think.

Better would be Battlefield 1916 The Battle for the Somme.

Trench warfare would be kinda new. And many more Irish fought and died there if thats the incentive for this mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Originally posted by fluffer
    Trench warfare would be kinda new. And many more Irish fought and died there if thats the incentive for this mod.

nah i think it was more for just the novelty of runing around dublin etc

Originally posted by irish_kamikaze
    thx for replying on my tread in the CS section

Your the only one that didn't say some thing stupid!!!

no offence now, but yur post was kinda dumb?U put up a post, in the cs board, asking them if they though bf1942 was better?!?! Maybe u should have put it in the games board for a neutral place cuz they r obviously going to say cs is! If u were trying to win so CS'ers over with how good BF1942 is it wasn't a good way to do it by calling them losers and and saying the cs is crap and boring?? why like?!?:rolleyes:

Originally posted by fluffer
    Better would be Battlefield 1916 The Battle for the Somme.

Well, i wasent going to say anything but I think I must now....

1.jpg
    Yes, deep inside Germany there is a mod baised upon the first world way being developed. Its looking good so far, but no news on a release date ....... though my German aint the best ;) . Ill let you know when it is released. Below is a couple of pictures of what they are working on and done so far...

thumb_1.jpg 0041_TN.jpg 0074_TN.jpg

Im not too sure if BF1942 would be a good engine for a Dublin/Rising mod. I have yet to play Call Of Duty ... but once i find myself in town i will wonder off and buy it, for sure. Id say it might be better suited to a mod of this sort. Still though, we can all dream :)

• Advertisement

Yo Winters i couldn't help noticing the fact that you mentioned call of duty. Good isn't it i thought its much better than MOH. Do you know if it uses the quake engine?
    It wud be good if bf1942 had some of the intense fighting thats in that!

Which was your favorite level?
    Mine was stalingratt.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Bought Call Of Duty during the week and finished it in a couple of hours. 20 of the origional 25 MOHAA Developers [2015] made CoD so thats why its very MOH. It runs on the Return to astle Wolfenstine engine [which itself is a revamp of the Q3 engine]. Though they actually changed 80% of the RTCW engine and implemented hardware transform texture and lighting or whatever its called.

Got to say loved Pegasus Bridge level and also St. Mre dou mont. [cant spell it correctly too late at night, ill put up correct spelling in the morning]. Russian levels were great craic, total spray with that ppsh gun. Stalingrad level is very well done and looks very like the sctual thing. Both the US Pir parts were taken from Band Of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan and the Soviet part from Enemy At the Gates really, but they do stay very historically accurate [for a game] which is great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

A mod based on the Irish revolution or the 1916 Rising would be abad idea for no other reason than it would be very hard to make it without looking like something blatently anti-british or republican, or even glorifying the whole era.
    It's too dodgy to try and do ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Are you ashamed of your past ? I see nothing to be ashamed of in 1916 rising. (bloody union jack waving dubs )

I actually think it would be a good idea, even if not tied directly to the rising, but close combat from that era.

There are games out at the moment glorifying America's invasion of Iraq. It only happened in the last year, so i think we will get away with 1916. And it wouldn't be any more of a kick in the teeth than films like Braveheart!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

Originally posted by Rev Hellfire
    Are you ashamed of your past ? I see nothing to be ashamed of in 1916 rising. (bloody union jack waving dubs )
    Ashamed? Hardly; but take out a map or the world, look at our country, look at the border running along the north, and then tell me there's no problem with making a game out of our blood washed past. It's a political hot potato as it is.
    In fact on a related note:
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2003-11-26&res=h
    made in response to this article:
    http://www.gamespot.com/gamecube/action/medalofhonorrisingsun/news_6084198.html

On a practical note, I've been doing some researching on how to make a mod like this. BF1942 would be useless for this mod, seeing that 1916 & the war of independence was mostly guerilla warfare => CoD / UT2003 engines would suit nicely. Most of the Irish weapons from that period up until 1918 were German,

What would be a better idea would be taking history and skewing it a little; where maybe Ireland sided with Germany/Austria-Hungary in ww1 and turned Ireland into another front in ww1. you can keep the same essential elements, but stay clear of the obvious political backlash.
    Originally posted by Falgorn
    There are games out at the moment glorifying America's invasion of Iraq. It only happened in the last year, so i think we will get away with 1916. And it wouldn't be any more of a kick in the teeth than films like Braveheart!
    They're not glorifying that war, it's the first one their based on - one where France and Germany took part in it for a start, and at least was an International response to illegal invasion.

But hey, intend at least making some start on this mod with perhaps some played models/skins, will see how it goes...

Clap, Clap!

I have to say i agree with most of what you said, but some of these people can only think that it would be fun to imagine your country, your home, your CAPITAL in a game you love and play when ever you can.

But the fact of the matter is NO one is going to take this berdon on. No one is going to build this map even if there was a remote chance that the engine could take it. Its too much time and effort, after all by the time you have it complete there will probably be a new game that we will all have interst in. :ninja:

If there was any chance we could make a crapy looking one and have it near enough looking like Dublin i would still download it!! :p

But i have too say you were right in everything else.;) :ninja: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

Just brushing up on my history here, but during the Easter Rebellion didnt the British send a Gun Boat up the liffey, that completly Tied down the IRA? So Gunboats could be in the 1916 Level if it was made. Come to think of it wouldnt BF1942 be cool if it had a desturction mod, so when a tank shoots at a wall or a plane drops a bomb on one it doesnt just let a few rocks fly but blows open the whole wall. That could lead to intersting Plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

Again. I amn't sure. But I think that happened during the civil war, a few years later. It was a British gunboat alright. But fighting with the Free State. (because of British pressure to quell the uprising)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭phoenix2181

Just a quick flash back to my families history...as far as i can remember it was the gunboat Helga that fired on the GPO & the 4 courts from the Liffey during 1916, it was also the IRB & NOT the IRA (IRA didn't exist at the time) that started the rising in 1916. (my great grandfather was commander of C company who took over the area around the Tap pub were 2 of his brothers were shot)

Advertisement