Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield 1916

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,372 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by fluffer
    Again. I amn't sure. But I think that happened during the civil war, a few years later. It was a British gunboat alright. But fighting with the Free State. (because of British pressure to quell the uprising)
    It was the same "gunboat". It actually served well into the 1930s.

As best i know the rebels had Kar 98s and the British would have had Enfileds (not the later Lee Enfields)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Irish_Kamikaze

Originally posted by Stormfox1020
    Come to think of it wouldnt BF1942 be cool if it had a desturction mod, so when a tank shoots at a wall or a plane drops a bomb on one it doesnt just let a few rocks fly but blows open the whole wall. That could lead to intersting Plans.

I agree that would be sweet could you imagine the carnage i would just stay in a gun ship and blow the whole level apart.:o :ninja: :o

Originally posted by Irish_Kamikaze
    I agree that would be sweet could you imagine the carnage i would just stay in a gun ship and blow the whole level apart.:o :ninja: :o
    Actually the way DoD models satchel charges and anti-tank weapons could be used (you could thrash the buildings, but leave much standing).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Irish_Kamikaze

Yes but red faction way would be much better there would be no camping and if you were in a spot were there is only one way in you could start making a hole into him from the roof walls or even the ground you probly cud even make a new room to camp in!!!!:D :D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Originally posted by Stormfox1020
    Come to think of it wouldnt BF1942 be cool if it had a desturction mod, so when a tank shoots at a wall or a plane drops a bomb on one it doesnt just let a few rocks fly but blows open the whole wall. That could lead to intersting Plans.

Dice thought about this idea a lot when they started work on Battlefield: Vietnam, the reason for not implementing it was the fact that nobody whould know where they are in a map when nearly every piece of brick and morter that was there ad been destroyed by morters etc.

I would like to see it implemented the way the DoD team did it with specific points being able t obe blown to peices, but alas its not going to happen. Also, im not too sure at how the RefractorII/Battlefield 1942 enging would stand on the whole idea.

Also, on the history note. The gunboat used in 1916 was the Helga and that and the British field artilary that was brought in that totally destoryed Sackville Street [now O'Connell street]. The rebels inside the GPO [IRB and Irish Volunteers (IRA was said was not even around at that stage)] had built a tunnel [had they not?] which many of them escaped out of. Correct me if im wrong on the tunnel part, cant remember where I heard that. The Irish rebels used mostly Pistols, K98's [bought from the Germans during the war (remember Roger Casement getting cought with the U-Boat ad the Howth gun running?)] and anything that could fire a bullet really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

Originally posted by Irish_Kamikaze
    Yes but red faction way would be much better there would be no camping and if you were in a spot were there is only one way in you could start making a hole into him from the roof walls or even the ground you probly cud even make a new room to camp in!
    Red Faction multiplayer sucked something serious. for a start the much vaunted "destructable terrain" meant about half a dozen walls that could be blown up, and nothing more -I mean think about the lag created by a level that was 100% destructable. The rest of the game was the same - it was no more impressive than the scripted walls of DayOfDefeat that can be blown up.
    Originally posted by Winters
    I would like to see it implemented the way the DoD team did it with specific points being able t obe blown to peices, but alas its not going to happen. Also, im not too sure at how the RefractorII/Battlefield 1942 enging would stand on the whole idea.
    It's been done, sorta. In BF: Secret Weapons, in the eagle's nest map, you have to blow open a set of double doors to proceed towards the next objective. It's easy enough to make a map where every tree and building can be blown up, but again - lag lag lag. Even "secret weapons" and it's single destructable objectives lag servers something serious. Apparently the mod "Action Battlefield" has a village of buildings that can be blown up without excess lag, but I've not seen it in action.

Basically lads, wait for either BF:Vietnam and see if they've fixed teh dreadful net/code and collision detection, or look out for other games like Soldner/FarCry (they both look poo), or perhaps the "you know what*" engine.

[*] Half Life2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

This is kind of interesting, great minds obviously think alike... I posted a suggestion on the BF1916 forum at their site for a Dublin 1916 map a while back. I reckon it'd be good.. you could have ICA, Volunteers, RIC and British Army. Vehicles you've got bicycles, cars, motorbikes, armoured cars and the gunboat helga. You've got machine guns, sniper rifles, grenades, artillery... it'd make a classic BF1916 map. Imagine trying to get the flag for the GPO, or LIberty Hall!

Originally posted by magpie
    you could have ICA, Volunteers, RIC and British Army.
    Will the irregualrs have to have tweed caps instead of helmets?
    bicycles,
    LOL, what about the trams and horse carriages.
    or LIberty Hall!
    Wasn't around in 1916! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

quote: (bloody union jack waving dubs )

Where was youse country people in 1916? May I remind you that only Dublin and Galway (under Liam Mellows, as far as I remember) rose.

Liberty Hall wasn't around in 1916? Did they time-travel to put it into the photo of the Citizen Army I have at home then?

Originally posted by luckat
    Liberty Hall wasn't around in 1916? Did they time-travel to put it into the photo of the Citizen Army I have at home then?
    Wow, I must have been wrong when I saw photos of them building it in the 1960s or so at the same time as O'Connell Bridge House (Q bar).

Scan the photo for us.

I saw a photo this morning of c 1900 and it defintely wasn't there then.

• Advertisement

Well Liberty Hall is the concrete high rise building, so clearly we're mixing up buildings here.

Out of curiousity, does anyone here mod/map that they would seriously consider a mod like this?

Well Liberty Hall is the concrete high rise building, so clearly we're mixing up buildings here.

OK, so Victor and Regeneration aren't going to be historical advisors for this mod... ;)

The Liberty Hall that exists today was built in the 1960s, but the original Liberty Hall that was on the same site was the base of the ITGWU and The Citizen Army up to 1916. It was blown to bits by the gun boat Helga during the rising. It was also the building that the proclamation of independence was printed in, for you history buffs out there... This is what it used to look like:
    libertyhall.jpg

Will the irregualrs have to have tweed caps instead of helmets?

lol, why not? But the term "irregulars" refers to the Civil War, not 1916.

If any modders out there are seriously interested in this I've got plenty of background info, books, photos etc

Hmmm, well when people talk of Liberty Hall, I guess most just think of the ugly concrete thing sticking up on our skyline, and not the ... ugly squat one that used to be there :D

As for reference; got any photos of the uniforms used by the Irish ? Ah sure maybe i'll just watch Michael Collins again, that wonderfully historically accurate movie ;)

There are some (bad) drawings of the uniforms here

The Volunteers uniform is a light green, the ICA one is a very dark green (not black as it looks here). While all the ICA wore uniforms, the vast majority of the volunteers didn't have any uniform, so would be in the classic trench coat, flat cap and bandolier...

It would be class to have bicycles in the mod. Just use the motorbikes from BF, but much, much slower. You could even have a "ring ring" bell noise!

Errrgh - deformed soldiers there ;) Nice references though, I've never really modelled actual people, so they'd be a good start.

Yeah bicycles are possible I think in BF; check out the Spanish civil war mod for bike fun: http://bf1936.bf1942files.com

Cool, this is just the thing... bike

they've also done the Spanish equivalent of Liberty Hall
    here

There'd be quite a lot of building modelling for this mod for O'Connell St, though you could maybe use the cafe building from swoww2 and the hotel building, and maybe some other stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Well boys, if you are feeling up to making a mod try these links.

- Official BF1942 Mod Development Tools
    - BF1942 Modders wiki
    - planetbattlefield.com Tweaking files
    - planetbattlefield.com Tweaking Tutorials
    - Battlecraft 1942 [official map maker]

Should be all you need there to get your mod running. Though i can only see a small audience for it it would be, as mentioned, quite fun. :)

@magpie
    I think that's the anarchists hall; and they were teh fascists boo!:)
    Thanks for that winters, but I knew of those already, seeing that I am on a mod-team for Bf1942 already *cough*forgottenhope*cough* ;) hehehe
    They are a good place to start, and the wiki is a godsend for understanding coding/scripting in the game.
    busy modelling vehicles/weapons for the mod, and was thinking of doing these Irish items when I was done with most of the bits and pieces for the mod.

I think that's the anarchists hall; and they were teh fascists boo!

Nope, the anarchists were the goodies, one of the first groups to contribute to founding the Republic, the fascists arrived later with Franco when he invaded from the Canary Islands...

With regard to the 1916 mod, it's a cool idea, and I'm happy to give suggestions, background info etc. Can't code for **** though. :)

Nope, the anarchists were the goodies, one of the first groups to contribute to founding the Republic, the fascists arrived later with Franco when he invaded from the Canary Islands...
    ah yes, you're right - the fascists were called the nationalists weren't they ? I do know that Spain was were Blitzkrieg was used for the first time by the Germans (though not actually invented by them)
    With regard to the 1916 mod, it's a cool idea, and I'm happy to give suggestions, background info etc. Can't code for **** though.
    Well I think it would work as a nice map-mod, cos I can't see enough material to turn it into a full mod, in which case, I'd use another engine that has better infantry combat. If anyone's interested, here's a list of historical Irish (and Northern Irish) tanks:
    http://mailer.fsu.edu/~akirk/tanks/ireland/ireland.html

*l*
    Very bad taste I know, but one map could be like "protect the VIP" (from CS, back when it was good ;)) - one side has to assassinate Michael Collins at Beal naBlath, the other has to protect him :)

• Advertisement

Class, Rolls Royce Armoured cars and Crossley tenders... speaking of bad taste one map could be Croke Park. One side gets an armoured car and the other gets a team of hurlers....lol

Maybe best to stick to a single map as you say. The Dublin map could be nice and big though, from TCD to the top of O'Connell St, and then down to the Four Courts in one direction and the Custom House in the other (all scales reduced of course).

TCD would be the British Base (uncapturable), and all the rebel flags at Liberty Hall, GPO, Four Courts, Wynne's Hotel etc could be captured. British would have artillery, gun boat, machine guns etc. Volunteers would just have rifles, pistols, grenades and the odd tommy gun.

What would be good is if you could work out some way of getting civilian "bots" onto the map... that way if either side kills civilians they lose 10 tickets or something. This would mean the British team would have to think twice about using artillery etc otherwise it would be too one sided.

What would be useful too would be the heightmap for dublin's streets too. hmmm Im seriosuly thinking about this now; would be a good idea for getting into mapping again - been a while since the last couple of maps.

Putting bots into multi maps is impossible. You can have AI soldiers, but now "civilians" Im afraid. shame though - damn good idea.

What kind of info would you need for the heightmap? There are some photos from O'Connell bridge down O'Connell St that sho the height of the buildings (pretty much as it is today 3-4 stories).
    hmmm Im seriosuly thinking about this now

Cool, like I say, I reckon this could be a class 1 map mod. Let me know how I can help.

Advertisement