Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT may face stiffer broadband competition

Options
  • 14-11-2003 4:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭

Local Loop Unbundling back on the agenda

The part that local loop unbundling (LLU) can play in rolling out broadband is back on the regulatory agenda.

Speaking to the Trade and Industry Select Committee inquiry into broadband development in the UK, Dave Edmunds, director general of telecoms watchdog Oftel, said Ofcom would look at the issue when it takes over responsibilty for the sector at the beginning of 2004.

The committee's interest in LLU had been piqued by earlier evidence from other ISPs and providers, who had brought the issue to the fore.

Freeserve told the committee that all major ISPs were constrained by BT's IPStream and DataStream wholesale products.

LLU has failed because the price of accessing the exchanges had been set too high, said the ISP. Entry costs have been around 150 per cent above Germany's and almost double that in France.

The committee heard from Freeserve that "a much more vigorous adjustment to LLU costs would allow rivals to break away from dependence on BT and develop new services".

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by molinaalexis
    The committee heard from Freeserve that "a much more vigorous adjustment to LLU costs would allow rivals to break away from dependence on BT and develop new services".

There is no mention of the word "Vigourous" in the Communications Act 2002. Therefore Comreg has no power to do any "Vigourous" . This will last until the Minister of Communications issues a lawful Ministerial Directive under the Communications Act 2002 in which

the Minister (inter alia directs that henceforth and in future and from now on and no questions about it lads)

Comreg be "Vigourous"
    Comreg do "Vigourous"
    Comreg act "Vigourous"
    Comreg talk "Vigourous"
    Comreg walk "Vigourous"
    Comreg write "Vigourous"
    Comreg understand "Vigourous"
    Comreg appreciate the importance of "Vigourous"

That is how clear the Minister has to make it to Comreg before we get to see any of this "vigorous adjustment to LLU costs" crack in this country.

Giz a pressie Dermot

M

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

I doubt if the word "Vigourous" is in any Civil Service dictionary, also missing are words like "Efficient", "Organised" and "Helpfull". It will therefore require Comreg to nip along to Easons and buy themselves a new one.

Could take some time......

M.

Why would Comreg buy a Dictionary and read it when their normal Modus Operandus is to blow €5k on a fat SC to write them a legal opinion instead. Even worse is the content of the opinion you can FoI for some of them ) , culled by the fat SC from one of them dictionary yokes.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Originally posted by Mr_Man
    I doubt if the word "Vigourous" is in any Civil Service dictionary, also missing are words like "Efficient", "Organised" and "Helpfull". It will therefore require Comreg to nip along to Easons and buy themselves a new one.

Could take some time......

M.
    "Vigourous" and "helpfull" no, you might find "vigorous" and "helpful" though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by zynaps
    "Vigourous" and "helpfull" no, you might find "vigorous" and "helpful" though ;)

I think Zynaps is one of them aforementioned fat SC types who gets €5k for culling legal opinions and correct spellings from of them dictionary yokes. That’s the difference between him and you Muck.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by zynaps

I would advise my not so learned friend that 'his' spelling of Vigourous would not be found in any reputable dictionary on this side of the Atlantic.

Just my €5k worth :D

M

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

"vigour" is the noun.

"vigorous" is the adjective

(see the OED or any reputable dictionary, I checked to make sure)

And we do have an English language board for any speleng deskushins so you might take this part of the discussion there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Originally posted by De Rebel
    I think Zynaps is one of them aforementioned fat SC types who gets €5k for culling legal opinions and correct spellings from of them dictionary yokes. That’s the difference between him and you Muck.
    No, I'm not fat and I don't get paid for anything, I just thought it was funny :)

Thanks for the unwarranted personal attack though.

zynaps

Advertisement