Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows XP shutting down while online

Options
  • 14-11-2003 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭

I wonder can anyone help with this problem. I upgraded from win98 to XP. Now after being online for around 5 minutes I get a message the the system in shutting down.
    'initiated by NT Authority/system'

'Windows must now restart because the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) was termninated unexpectantly.'

Anyone know how I can fix this?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

blaster virus most likely.
    trend

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

you'll need to download a cleaner for this but that's difficult when your browser keeps shutting down.
    go to control panel and then Administrative tools and Services.
    Right-click on Remote Procedure Call (RPC) then Properties and the Recovery tab.
    Change First, second and subsequent failures to "take no action.
    Reboot.
    Connect to net and get fix (most AV companies have it)
    Then use windows update to patch your system.
    Then set the recovery options back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Alternatively, Start -> Run -> Type: "shutdown -a", this will abort the shutdown allowing you to download the patch from microsoft (MS03-026) and a cleaner

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

How many is that this week that have had the blaster virus?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Go to norton.com and download fixblast.exe and then get the microsoft security patch to stop you being infected again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Thanks for all the help lads. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭hertz

On a related note:
    The welchia virus is still going around too and if you do get victimised by that the procedure to remove it is the same as blaster virus. Get patch off microsoft site and then get fix Welchia tool off AV site eg symantec.

Hertz

Advertisement