Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netsource and Wireless-ready DSL routers

• 14-11-2003 10:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Been reading in here on and off about people having difficulty with Netsource and 802.11b-enabled DSL routers. I've had a lot of trouble myself but I can advise on the following:

Actiontec 1524 (and probably 1520): No version firmware works with Netsource or UTV dsl. However it works quite well with Eircom and IOLBB.

BT Voyager 2000, firmware 5.0.0.21: Works fine with Netsource, Eircom and IOLBB. Haven't tested it with UTV.

ZyXEL Prestige 650HW, firmware:
    ZyNOS F/W Version: V3.40(IS.2) | 6/16/2003
    DSL FW Version: Alcatel, Version 3.9.122
    Works fine with NS, Eircom, and IOLBB. Again haven't tested it with UTV.

Has been confirmed by several people in another thread that the D-Link DSL 604+ works fine too.

Has been confirmed to me by NS that the D-Link 504 also works (it's not wireless tho), but I would imagine that this is firmware dependent. If your router doesn't work try to upgrade it, or downgrade it. It might work with an older version.

Finally: anyone know why Netsource's SOHO product (which uses CHAP) would not work with a router, and yet Eircom and IOLBB do? What's different about Netsource? (NS support don't seem to know)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Had MASSIVE problems with Netfarce and US Robotics gear. No authentication problems.

D-Link is the only brand that seems to work every time.

Buy a 604 (?) wireless router with built in modem or DIY with a DSL300G+ and a DHCP switch.

tribble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Well my current setup runs a DSL-504 connected to an old machine which is running FreeBSD 4.9 and acting as a wireless access point using netgear MA-311 PCI wireless card.

Not sure about the CHAP/PAP problem. Something to do with the way Netsource connects into Eircom I think.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

I would very much recommend against the 604+.

I have it, use it and hate it. I've upgraded the firmware everytime I see an update and it has gotten better but it dies under any amount of strain.

Too many webpages have often caused to to simply freeze resulting in requiring a power cord rip (translation: removal gently of power cord from router and careful replacement). :p

I've read a lot about it and it gets lots and lots of people very annoyed. It takes massive amounts of work and effort to get it to work regularly and stably. If you're a fairly light user (not in terms of how much you download-more in terms of opening 2 webpages at once (literally) rather than 10 or so).

Nothing can be done when it freezes. I check if it's down by pinging it. When there's no response I know it's gone. Very irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 thomasb

We had some issues with some routers that wouldn't work with our SOHO service, but worked perfectly with our other products - which are delivered differently.

It turned out the issue was with PPP MRU values (the BAS we use was using different values for the two services, and some CPE routers didn't like the fact that our BAS was being inflexible about the MRU value). Anyway, we changed the MRU setting on the BAS a couple of weeks back and this seems to have made a lot of CPE routers work now that didn't work then.

Hope this helps,

Thomas

Advertisement