Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should i get a gamecube?

Options
  • 15-11-2003 12:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

There so cheap and just feel i should get one. I LOVED super Mario Brothers 3 on the nes and mario kart on the n64. Are they better on the cube or not? Ive never played a zelda game in my life...but they get good reviews. But whats the story? Why havent i ever seen a gamecube ad that wasnt for zelda or metroid prime? Also, who here can tell me that they will be around for the next couple of years...? Im starting to like the cube now after guys telling me about it. I used to hate that stupid controller but now...i think i want to own one. Anyway...

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by Ronaldo7
    There so cheap and just feel i should get one. I LOVED super Mario Brothers 3 on the nes and mario kart on the n64. Are they better on the cube or not? Ive never played a zelda game in my life...but they get good reviews. But whats the story? Why havent i ever seen a gamecube ad that wasnt for zelda or metroid prime? Also, who here can tell me that they will be around for the next couple of years...? Im starting to like the cube now after guys telling me about it. I used to hate that stupid controller but now...i think i want to own one. Anyway...

Cheers in advance.

At that price, who cares whats around in a couple of years. If there are stuff you want to play now then get one and take whatever future support there is as it comes. All three consoles are cheap enough that everyone should own them. They each have their strong points, but its the distinctive games that matter on each that matter.

Im looking forward to Killer7 and maybe RE:4 on the Cube myself.

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭PopTart

If you liked the Mario Games .... then theres no question you should buy one
    I just bought Mario Kart Double dash..... I'll give you a review of it monday
    But as for the other games
    Zelda ---- Fantastic :D
    Smash Bros --- Good:)
    Mario Sunshine---- ****ing Hard but fantastic graphics:confused:
    2 many to comment on any one in particular you want to know about you let me know I have nearly all of them now:p :p:p:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

plenty of good games

Super smash bros
    Mario sunshine
    Super monkey ball
    F-zero GX
    Mario Kart : DD
    Zelda : wind waker
    Metroid Prime
    Eternal Darkness
    rouge leader
    Veitfull joe

and thats just the cube exclusize titles im sure ive left a load out too

Burnout 2
    Timesplitters 2

would be my fav multys on it

and metal gear solid + final fantasy on the way so tis good good times to buy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Adrian

If i were you I'd buy and Xbox as it seems to be getting the best games from both worlds this Christmas. Check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Originally posted by Tusky

final fantasy

whens final fantasy coming to the cube and which one is coming?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

its a gamecube exclusive one , crystal cronicles , its out in JAP not sure when eruo one is out though

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Just to tell ya, its been told that Nintendo will show the successor to the GameCube in May 2004. Might be why they have slashed their price by so much recently.

No news or information on its successor has been released but it just has been said, May 2004 at the Expo. I'd say Nintendo finally woke up to DvD support and [possibly] online gaming. Actucully, the big N arnt the biggest fans of online gaming are they, just a thought :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

They really need to wake up and smell the fresh coffee.

psx: uses cheap cd-rom technology,can hold large amounts of data
    n64: uses old and expensive cart technology, holds very small amounts of data

ps2: uses dvd-rom technology, can hold very large amounts of data, can also play DVD's and Music CD's, which would appeal to someone after a dvd player
    gc: uses mini-dvd technology. Costs the same (if not more), holds a small amount of data, cannot play dvd's or music cd's(I think)

ps2: online
    gc: offline

It never really took a weather man to tell which way the wind was going to blow... Hopefully nintendo will get it right this time, I couldnt bare to see them stop making consoles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

gc: uses mini-dvd technology. Costs the same (if not more), holds a small amount of data, cannot play dvd's or music cd's(I think)
    [nerd mode]
    Not technically correct (my last day in DVD/Cd rep plant) those little discs can hold 1.4GB as standard ,there are modifications that can be made to hold 4x data.
    I reckon their console will play GC games and still use similiar discs.
    Those discs in our lifetime will never be pirated cost to make them for a pirate is over 3 million.[/nerd mode]

How many PC games use over 1.4gb ?

Get a GC they superb everey game Tusky mentioned is worth investing in and with 2nd hand you could get some great games cheap.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

Originally posted by Adrian
    If i were you I'd buy and Xbox as it seems to be getting the best games from both worlds this Christmas. Check it out.

IMO Microsoft has made an average console in the XBox. I went to the launch in the Merrion and it was apparent then that killer titles would be few and far between. It suffers from the same thing the PS2 does, the crap titles outnumber the good ones. Hence why I bought a gamecube. Yes, the amount of games may be smaller but the quality is what counts and 9 times out of 10 Nintendo come up with the goods, especially 1st party titles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

There's a metroid prime sequel in the works isn't there? Mmm.. I'll be hanging onto my GC for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭j0e9o

the thing is the other consoles can be used as DVD players when there out dated where as the gc cannot

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭Big Ears

the dvd players on consoles r ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Originally posted by thomasmckinless
    the thing is the other consoles can be used as DVD players when there out dated where as the gc cannot

my dvd player can also be used as a dvd player when my ps2 goes out of date......but thats against the point of what the man asked, im sure he's aware that the other consoles can be used as dvd players

the gamecube is an excellent piece of work on nintendo's part, they just dont know how to market well enough, in my opnion the gamecube is worth the money just for the few hours of absolute bliss that is pikmin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I find my PS2 quite unreliable for films. Some films go grainy or plain stop even though my DVD player plays then perfectly. If you are really interested in dvds you would get a stand-alone.

At the moment the GC is a steal and a perfect second console if you have a PS2 already.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

just buy it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Originally posted by Winters
    Just to tell ya, its been told that Nintendo will show the successor to the GameCube in May 2004.

Such vicious lies. If you're going to make up rumours, why not write an official-looking web page to support them. cos everything you hear on teh interweb is true.
    They will be unveiling a "product" at E3. They only thing they have confirmed is that it will NOT be a replacement for the gamecube or the gameboy.

Also, tellox, the gamecube was the second console (after the dreamcast) to offer online support. You devious little monkey.

Of course the cube will be around. No one seems to know why, but Irish retailers just refuse to give it any shelf space or advertisements or anything else. Don't let this fool you. The console has many excellent games as mentioned in this thread.

i'm also considering getting a cube after reading this thread and see the mario kart pack coming out.

however reading the mario kart and f-zero gx threads people don't seem extremely happy with the games?

how good is the new zelda game? (i've never really played them are they similar/better then final fantasy?)

and does super smash bros have any single player value?

and what about metroid prime?

thanks data

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

What are the killer titles on the GC?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Originally posted by Dataisgod

how good is the new zelda game? (i've never really played them are they similar/better then final fantasy?)

Not in any way similar to the final fantasy series, more of an adventure than rpg i think, i prefer it but some will disagree, depends on what you'd prefer.

Smash bro's has some great single player bits, the adventure mode kept me going for ages, and the mini games are fun. The only thing i can say against the cube is that it has nothing like ico. Metroid prime made me forget what outside looks like, it's simply amazing in every way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

FFCC looks like it will play more like the mana games than the turn based FF games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    FFCC looks like it will play more like the mana games than the turn based FF games.

excelsior! i love secret of mana :)

where's the definitive source of information on FFCC?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Originally posted by i_am_dogboy
    The only thing i can say against the cube is that it has nothing like ico.

there is nothing on any system quite like ico.

Do a google. Theres lots of info on IGN and Gamespot. The game is out in Japan (I think) so there should be some reviews of it or at least some hands on impressions.

Oh, and my comment is an opinion on the screenshots and videos. Haven't played the game yet.

Originally posted by DiscoStu
    there is nothing on any system quite like ico.

whats this ico type thingy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

this is ico

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=2734

its rarer than hens teeth and game know it, 40 euro for the worst possible tattered boxes. coming across a good condition copy let alone a new one is nigh on impossible.

www.cdwow.ie seem to have it, or it doesn't say its out of stock unless i'm missing something stupid. www.amazon.co.uk have got it also perhaps i'll get it off santa :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

well the only thing i use my cube for at the moment is a clean surface to place my sandwiches...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by anthonymcg
    IMO Microsoft has made an average console in the XBox. I went to the launch in the Merrion and it was apparent then that killer titles would be few and far between. It suffers from the same thing the PS2 does, the crap titles outnumber the good ones. Hence why I bought a gamecube. Yes, the amount of games may be smaller but the quality is what counts and 9 times out of 10 Nintendo come up with the goods, especially 1st party titles.

Thats sort of argument holds up if you purchase games via some sort of "lucky dip" methodology. The rest of us know in advance what we are buying and can avoid the crap for the most part.

Matt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Originally posted by Balfa

Also, tellox, the gamecube was the second console (after the dreamcast) to offer online support.

WRONG !!! the mighty sega saturn was the first.

Advertisement