Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Test your SPEED

Options
  • 15-11-2003 2:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

just after finding a page on eircoms site allowing you to test your downloading speed. Check it out athttp://159.134.223.194/dsltest/dsl.html The thing is I got a speed of 36Kb/s on my 56 K modem. What are they up to.

Clearz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

I got 54.1KB/sec on RADSL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Originally posted by De Rebel
    I got 54.1KB/sec on RADSL.

I don't know what it is with Eircom's RADSL -- the implementation just somehow seems crap. You should be getting 68kB/sec on a 512kbps DSL connection. While in Germany on 768kbps DSL (this was over a year ago, my friend there now has 2.5Mbps SDSL), I could easily get an average download speed of 96kB/sec.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

yea I'm getting 55.2KBps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

starts of at 80k for about 3 secs then goes between 52k and 55k

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

dammit, file saves too quick at work .... will have to do it at home ... I tried the netsource bigfile.zip and that must be proxied at work because it says 10.8MB/s :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I downloaded that file in about (edit) 5 mins...no thats not slow thats fast - I'm on 56k dialup! :eek: (averaged about 15kbs)

Mike.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

50.2kb/sec

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

average 54kps on UTV BB

this good or bad!!

suppose its
    average!

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

63KBps average on esat business adsl

• Registered Users Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭oneweb

Ha! There's no fuckin way that's accurate. Got an average of 53KB/sec. On diallup. Here's another one of those €ircon setups to cheat themselves into looking better than the rest.

That file is full of repetition. The server can massively compress the data within the file before sedning it over the wire. This is an extremely misleading tactic. I'd advise people to complain to €ircon (maybe even ComReg) and inform them that the average downloaded file would never have so much of the same content over and over again!

This test will be more accurate.
    [edit: result for above was 5.09 KBps - and yes, They're both KiloBytes/sec.]

It is what it's.

• Advertisement

oneweb, I tried that McAfee test and got 3.33 kbs. Then redid the eircom test using Download Accelerator and got the 4.48 mb file in 3 mins 36 seconds. I was averaging 30 kbs for first 30 seconds and still got 20 kbs at the end. I dunno what eircom have put in the water but its works!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

That Mcafee one is all over the place, I ran it four times, the largest rate was nearly 4 times the smallest ... I think the file they are using is too small or something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

Im after trying it again with Download Acellerator Plus with my 56k modem and I got a constant speed of 44 Kb/s. Maby eircoms labs have come up some radical new Technology (YEA RIGHT).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

I think some of you are getting mixed up with the difference between KB and Kb

Like I say above Ando a 4.5 mb file downloaded in 3.30 mins is fast - it does'nt matter what your measure it by!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭LastIrishMonkey

that was wierd i got 45k on a 56k modem :D if all dl were like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

damn you Eircom. that is there to piss off all dial-up users

i have never seen a file d/l so fast on this phone line. it averaged about 21-24 KB/s :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MadKevo

Hmmm,
    just used IE6 to download the file. Right clicked on it, clicked on Save Target As browsed to Desktop and waited for a minute before clicking on Save. It then downloaded in 2 seconds, giving a huge number in the download speed message box for all of those 2 seconds.
    Very misleading as IE automatically (at least for me with default options) starts downloading if you're looking like you're gonna start saving the link target off.

Used Mozilla Firebird but the download only starts when you click on Save (results accurate enough IMHO using Firebird though, compressibility of file doesn't seem to be a factor for me at least)

u.tv/speedtest is the way to go - much more realistic I think, although having a similarly implemented soeed test on the network of the ISP you're actually connected to would be the best solution.

/MK.

I ran the test at www.u.tv/speedtest and got 24 kbit per second. Or it takes 30 seconds to transfere a 100 kbit file.

Mike.

I think its rediciolus these speed tests anyway. Can we not just base our speed on our average day to day surfing. We all know the speed we have come to expect form our 56k/modems without speed tests so whats the difference with DSL

• Advertisement

At least on UTV's site they tell you 'The speed displayed is an indication of your actual downstream speed and does not include TCP/IP and ATM overheads' and not making you believe that your speed is a lot faster than it accually is.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://159.134.223.194/dsltest/dsl.html
    Download test.doc 4,701,696 bytes

[RANT]
    But it can be compressed to 96,140 bytes (attached)
    This is a ratio of about 48:1 (sound familiar?)
    Since their adds mention compressed formats like music and movie previews this might be a bit misleading
    [/RANT]

I used Win-GZ for the first pass and then powerarchiver 6.1 for the second pass Links to Download
    You can use FC test.doc test#2.doc to verify it is indeed the same file.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Advertisement