Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 players online over radsl

Options
  • 15-11-2003 5:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

im getting radsl soon does anyone know if 2 people can play online at the same time sharing a 512/128 radsl net connection?
    would it be stable or laggy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Its fine with 2 people, no lag at all. I'm sure you could get around 5 ppl or even more ???

With 2 ppl playing at the same time, we're still getting 20/30 pings

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

You should be able to probably get 3 or 4 players with no lag a DSL line playing Battlefield. Battlefield needs something like a constant 4 kb/s transfer with the server for lagless play.

God I do really need DSL :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Originally posted by Winters
    You should be able to probably get 3 or 4 players with no lag a DSL line playing Battlefield. Battlefield needs something like a constant 4 kb/s transfer with the server for lagless play.

God I do really need DSL :)
    Id say a bit closer to about 5k, otherwise 2 people on 64k ISDN wouldnt lag THAT badly you wouldnt think............. but they do.... very badly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Originally posted by Pugsley
    Id say a bit closer to about 5k, otherwise 2 people on 64k ISDN wouldnt lag THAT badly you wouldnt think............. but they do.... very badly :)

Thats just due to the way ISDN actucully works. 64k ISDN is only a little faster then 56k. Each ISDN line can only take 64k maximum, thats why dual IDSN allows you to go faster as it splits the data between both lines. I'd say you may be able to do with with Dual IDSN but i doubt you would get a lagless game out if it.

IDSN just cant handle it. DSL minimum for 2 person play.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Not entirely sure what you mean "the way ISDN actucully works", but single channel ISDN delivers 7.5Kps realworld, compared to 5Kps for a 56k modem. Thats better bandwidth efficiency than most DSL solutions.

As Pugsley said, 7.5Kps isnt enough for 2x 5Kps streams, but the 15Kps from dual channel ISDN is fine for two players (I have ISDN btw and would ditch it for DSL if I could).

Matt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭Serbian

Originally posted by Pugsley
    There is also a difference in upload remember. For DSL Upload and Download are split. In ISDN your upload will subtract from the 64k. So if it was 4kbp/s up and 4kbp/s down to play Battlefield, then that is using your entire bandwidth. Adding a second player will cut your bandwidth in half.

Advertisement