Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard Drive Thrashing & q2 in Win98

Options
  • 17-10-1999 11:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭

Right, I have a brand new Gateway PIII 500, 192 RAM, 20 gig HD with 13 or so free, and i notice that after playing q2 for anywhere between 1-3 hours, the hard drive starts thrashing on a five second basis.

Instantly the game goes into a 'two seconds smooth, two seconds chugging like a ba$tard' mode, and only a reset can cure it. Virtual Memory is set to have Windows manage it, the disk has been defragged. I have also noticed this problem on another Windows98 comp, on my old Win95 machine i never saw this once.

Does anyone know what this is, and how to fix it??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭BugBlaster

i had a hd shuffling when i was playing.. usually would only freeze the game for a few seconds tho.... someone said to disable the fastfind and that did the trick for me. smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

sounds like fastfind to me, if youve got office installed that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Virus checker and BO type proggies do it too. Or if your diskspace drops below 100MB you tend to get disk trashing a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Sonic

fastfind is most likely the culprit alrite , also set the virtual memory to about 2.5 times ur system ram

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

thanks for the replys lads, i have found FindFast and selected 'Close & Stop' from its File menu, i assume this will halt it - it was not in the systray or actually doing anything that i could see. guess i'll just have to play loads more q2 to see if this works smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

conor,
    go into your start up menu properties and delete all the crap that starts when you load windows
    then go into msconfig and uncheck everything bar systray and ps/2 rate in the startup options and apply.

cure to all thing aptiva smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Check the ide driver, you might need to use a special one. I do, but then my PC is special (/me gives PC loving hug)

[Insert cool quote here]
    Play GLminesweeper!
    http://www.iol.ie/~adamj/dl/mineswp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

nah amp, its fine, its just toom uch crap ruuning in the background

the other pc he was talking about was mine, but ive emptied al the rubbisha dn its fine.

must learn how to type in the morning as well

Hey Toom Uch(tm) isn't crap! Tiz a great game! wink.gif

[Insert cool quote here]
    Play GLminesweeper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Why would Quake2 be using the swapfile with two hundred odd megabytes of ram?
    I noticed the same thing with Quake(1) after I installed Win98, just nuke all the background task $hit from the registry.
    Check out the keys in
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
    Run, RunOnce, RunOnceEx, RunServices, and RunServicesOnce
    Nuke all the $hit in these keys apart from scanregw.exe (if it's there, and any other stuff you need for your 3D-card)

Copyright(c) Dildo Corp.(TM) 1999
    All trademarks are the property or their respective owners. If you believe this message is a illegal/pirate copy, please phone weather-dial on: 1550 123854

• Advertisement

Win98 sometimes just puts off doing stuff and storing tasks to do in ram. Makes it faster. But even with 128mb or above it just has to write them to the harddisk eventually.

Bit like a bladder in a pub really wink.gif

[Insert cool quote here]
    Play GLminesweeper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

i have done as suggested above, and have just enjoyed an evening of chug-free q2 and TFC - so it was obviously either FindFast (most likely) or some of the cobblers in my startup menu. Cheers lads smile.gif

Advertisement