Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Pc Problem.

• 15-11-2003 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

I built my first machine earlier this year and it was working well for the first few months but recently, it is giving some IDE errors on the bios screen and refusing to boot, other times i turn the power on and the fans buzz for a second and then it powers off, othertimes it powers on and fans buss and cd drives spin but the bios never loads and it wont switch off. i have my IDE's configured correctly, 80 gig Maxtor drive set to master on IDE 1 and cdrive as master on IDE2 and a slave zip drive .

components of the machine:
    K7S8X mobo
    AMD 2100 i think,
    512 ddr

the machine is causing serious hassle at the moment but when it does boot up it works grand. im using it at the mo.
    any help appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭GarGuile

Sounds like the PSU. Try a different power supply and see if the problem continues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭Kavs

U could also try updating the bios with the latest flash(Everything u need should be available from the MB manufactureres website)
    Be very careful as the the wrong flash file could render the bios unseable which is not a good thing!
    Also make sure all ur other drivers are updated with the latest software eg.graphics card,windows ,DirectX etc..!

If that fails maybe try reseating the Motherboard ,there might be a bad grounding somewhere.

What power rating is the PSU?(I think u need at least a 300W for an AMD Athlon!)If its less than that then its time for a new PSU!
    Gluck.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭wild_eyed

its 300W

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

the drives spinning and not booting sounds like a powersupply problem, what ide problem messages are you getting? simi-condutor errors etc...?

"What power rating is the PSU?(I think u need at least a 300W for an AMD Athlon!)"
    not exactly ture, you can power a 2500xp with a 230w psu :). Well that's what I was using :)

Advertisement